Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dirt (resized).jpg
Cams (resized).jpg
P schematics (resized).jpg
Subtract_Bonus1 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I’m trying to get a Gottlieb two-player Quick Draw with a rough history back to life. I have the schematics and the manual. This is my first multi-player Gottlieb project. Almost all functions work by now, but I have frequently a problem with the ball and player advance. The problem happens both in single player and in two Player modes. When the ball lands in the out hole, any bonus correctly counts down, the ball then gets ejected into the shooter lane, on its way it triggers the trough switch. This sequence works.
If no bonus has been scored the machine advances reliably to the next ball / player. (Triggers the P relay which initiates both drop target reset and ball / player advance)
But if a bonus has been scored, the ball advances to the shooter lane very often without triggering a drop target resets AND a ball or player advance. Always both either work or don’t work.
I observed with an LED connected to the P relay coil, that in a “normal” case, the LED shows a solid maybe ½ second light, whereas in the failure case (no target reset and no ball/player advance) it shows just a very short flash or nothing. Probably not enough power to activate self-hold of P and initiate the reset / advance.
I have cleaned Motor switch 1C without improvement.
I suspect it could be a timing issue. Is it possible that the motor is still turning (with M1C open) when the trough switch is activated?
Anyone had that problem before or can think of the reason and cure for this?

P schematics (resized).jpgP schematics (resized).jpgSubtract_Bonus1 (resized).jpgSubtract_Bonus1 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

The score motor shouldn’t be running and be in a home position when the ball rolls over the trough switch. Check outhole switch for too close of a gap. Adjust switch for proper gap.

#3 1 year ago

In your upper snippet, there's a Motor 2B switch that needs to be closed until the end of the score motor cycle for the P relay to be held on...is that switch clean and closed? The P relay needs to be energized for both the player advance circuit and the drop target bank reset circuit to operate.

Not sure how that would be tied to the bonus unit switches...but maybe start there, as well as doing what Dave said.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks Paula and Dave for your feedback.
I confirmed that 2B has good contact and is closed for most of the cycle. Also checked the out-hole switch and it has a generous gap.
Looked some more at motor timing and it seems that 1C and 4C engagement are not separated enough, so there is some overlap. In the image both cams (#1 and #4) are in the motor cutouts. Could that have to do with it?

Cams (resized).jpgCams (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago

The schematic or the score motor card should show what slots the 1C & 4C cam followers belong in.

#6 1 year ago

Since the glitch only occurs with bonus, make sure the top 'zero' switch on the bonus unit is not closing too early. If it closes before the unit is at zero , it may fire the outhole early and throw off the timing. That might depend on how much bonus was accumulated too, since it is a rapid-fire type unit that can score multiple bonus 1000s within one cycle of the motor, so when it gets to zero the motor could be at varying places within the cycle. So if the zero switch is closing early, it may throw off the timing or it may not, and yours is not failing every time.

#7 1 year ago

I'd probably check that P switch that locks on the P relay too - BL+WH/BR-WH-RED. If your P relay isn't locking on, there's something wrong with a very simple circuit. The trough switch should turn on the P relay, and if it turns on even very briefly, it should lock on through the P switch and the Motor 2B switch. That's all there is to that circuit...and you say that P isn't locking on when there's bonus involved?

#8 1 year ago

Hi Paul,
I agree. But in order for P to lock on it needs to be fully pulled in in the first place through the trough switch AND 1C. And that doesn't seem to happen after a bonus countdown. My suspicion is that the motor is somehow still moving when the trough switch gets triggered and so cannot connect through 1C. Will have to think about how to verify that theory.
Frenchmarky,
I also checked the bonus zero switch and can't find anything wrong with it. Right now I can only manually check by actuating the step up and step down mechs and it seems fine and snappy. This is really odd.
The cam followers for 1C and 4C were in the right place (both S), but I have found that switches on M1C and M4C were overlapping (the manual shows a clear gap in between) and I adjusted the switches so that this doesn't happen anymore. Will test tomorrow if that has helped.

#9 1 year ago

Maybe try draining with different amounts of accumulated bonus, say from 1000 to 6000 which would cover all the possible positions of the motor when bonus hits zero... see if any of those always screw up or never screw up. Might point to a problem in a particular point in the cycle. Given that it is inconsistent.

#10 1 year ago

If you want to test your theory about the motor not quite being in home position when the trough switch is closed, I wonder if you could block the trough switch, put some bonus on the machine, then let the ball drain and kick out into the shooter lane. Once the ball is in the shooter lane and the score motor is stopped, activate the trough switch manually.

Another thing to try might be to jumper the Motor 1C switch that turns on P and see if P locks on with bonus.

#11 1 year ago

And come to think of it, there were some issues with this machine and the timing of the trough switch - mine had an issue that was different that yours, but it was solved by opening the trough switch as wide as possible so that it closed just a tiny bit later. It solved my problem. Like I said, your problem is different than mine was, but wouldn't hurt to try it.

#12 1 year ago

Thanks paulace and @frenchmarky.
One step forward two step back. Before I could try all your suggestions, my beauty wouldn't start up again and ended in the usual endless motor-tango with the Bonus reset coil clapping with the beat. I found M1A had lost all conductivity and so I bit the bullet, took the bottom board out and will clean up all motor contacts. I didn't do that initially because the pin was " almost" working when I got it. But it had been neglected for so long that I'm now scraping little mounds of dirt from the cam followers. Someone must have put grease on it at some point in time. Will report back when all is back together... Thanks for now

dirt (resized).jpgdirt (resized).jpg
#13 1 year ago

All good. Going through all the motor contacts, cleaning and adjusting the gaps did the trick. I also made sure that motor pulses from stack #4 and #1 are no longer overlapping. Works flawless now. Thank you everybody!

#14 1 year ago

Glad to hear it's working now...good job. I think that machine is more prone to switch timing issues than most...they were getting everything they could out of that score motor.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-quick-draw-unreliable-player-ball-advance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.