Quick Draw Bonus Count (resized).jpg
Quick Draw 2x Bonus scoring (resized).jpg
Quick Draw 1x Bonus scoring (resized).jpg
QD motor switch list (resized).jpg
QD rules (resized).jpg
Corral SM (resized).jpg
QD score motor switches (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I'm trying to figure out a bonus scoring problem with my 1975 Gottlieb Quick Draw, and am stuck with how to approach it. Everything else on the machine seems to work fine. You can collect up to 15K bonus during a ball, and when the ball drains, if I only have 1X the bonus amount, it scores it correctly. However, if I've hit all the rollovers (A-B-C) and I'm supposed to get 2X or 3X (on the last ball) the bonus, it doesn't score the correct amount. In case it helps, this is how it scores - it's not always consistent, but it's close:

Bonus Amount on pf------------------2X----------------------3X

1K-------------------------------2K (correct)------------3K (correct)
2K-------------------------------3K-----------------------6K (correct)
3K-------------------------------4K----------------------10K
4K-------------------------------6K----------------------12K (correct)
5K----------------------------8K or 9K------------------16K
6K-------------------------------9K----------------------19K
7K------------------------------10K----------------------22K
8K------------------------------12K----------------------26K
9K---------------------------14K or 15K-----------------28K
10K---------------------------15K or 16K-----------------31K
11K---------------------------16K or 17K-----------------33K (correct)
12K---------------------------18K or 20K-----------------37K
13K---------------------------20K or 21K-----------------39K (correct)
14K---------------------------21K or 22K-----------------43K
15K---------------------------22K or 23K-----------------46K

I hope that's understandable - it looks like I'm getting close to 1 1/2 X the bonus when I'm supposed to be getting 2X the bonus, and usually 1K more than 3X when I'm supposed to be getting 3X the bonus. I'm hoping that indicates an area to look to someone out there. I do have a schematic, though I'm certainly not an expert at reading them - still learning. I can't figure out how the whole 2X and 3X bonus system works looking at the schematic. I'll be happy to post a scan of the relevant part of it, once I figure out what that part is...
Anyway, I've looked carefully at the bonus stepper unit - partially disassembed and cleaned it without going crazy. It all moves easily and steps up and down cleanly when I do it by hand. I did have to replace the plastic sleeve on the decrement solenoid (the old one's opening was oval and the plunger was moving in some crazy ways, which I thought might have something to do with it, but no change with the new sleeve). And the fact that it operates correctly when the bonus is 1X makes me think that the problem isn't with the bonus stepper. Is that a reasonable conclusion?
It came from a private home and seems like it was well taken care of - the insides are very clean, not alot of corrosion and I don't see any ugly home-made fixes. I've replaced all the drop targets and had to strengthen a spring on the armature that knocks down 4 out of the 5 drops in each bank that fires after you've knocked down all 10 drops. Other than that, the electrics are as I found them.
Do these symptoms indicate an area to look to someone out there? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks, currieddog (is that an Indian dish, by the way?) I saw that on the schem. and the rollover relays under the playfield for A, B and C are pulling in when the rollover switches are activated. Between them on the sequence bank, there is an "A-B-C sequence completed" relay that doesn't have a coil, but does pull in when all 3 other rollover relays are activated - but it is a little bit sluggish but seems to be closing/opening switches as far as I can see. Those switches are hard to get to!

I'm not sure where that series relay "EE" is physically on the machine, but I'll stick my head in there and see if I can find it. I'll report back. Thank you!

And thanks John_I - yes, I'm set on 3 balls, and I know the triple bonus only applies on the last ball when all 3 rollovers have been activated. That's how I made that chart - the 3X column was always on the third ball (took a while). I'll look at the score motor again - didn't see anything obvious last time I looked, but I could have easily overlooked something. Thanks!

This isn't so easy with 57-year old eyes!!

#5 5 years ago

currieddog -
I looked closely at the 4 relays you mentioned that I think are involved in the sequence bank under the playfield - the A, B, C and "rollover series completed" relays - and they all appear to be working correctly - that is, as far as I can see, the contacts are opening or closing as they should when the relays fire. I looked carefully at the wiring/solder joints and I don't see anything amiss there. I found the EE relay and it also seems to be working correctly. It pulls in and releases when each of the A, B and C relays fire...and gives me 50 points. I think that's all correct. The game is recognizing that all the rollovers have been hit, the extra bonus light comes on at the correct time - it's just that the extra amount that I'm getting is not the correct amount. So the sequence bank appears to be doing its job and telling whatever does the scoring (score motor?) that it's time for the 2X or 3X amounts - they just aren't correct. I'll get the playfield out of the way and start looking at the score motor - at this point just looking for obvious problems - loose wires, solder blobs, other shorts. I did notice that the score motor makes 1/3 of a turn when scoring a 1X bonus, 2/3 of a turn when scoring a 2X bonus, and a complete turn when scoring a 3X bonus. That seems to make sense to me, so I'm assuming that particular function is working.
Hope you guys are having a good Labor Day! It's going to be 95 and muggy here in Charlottesville today, so I'm just as happy to be in the basement with my head in my Quick Draw.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks for your time, currieddog! I just pulled the J relay out and inspected it, nothing obviously wrong - solder connections looked good (I know that doesn't always mean they are), no solder blobs or wire strands shorting any of the tabs - cleaned the contacts, re-installed it and watched it in action. Seems to work normally - pulls in when any of the targets or drops are hit, gives me 500 pts and increases the bonus by 1, as it should. Looks normal to me.
I watched the LB relay too. Visual inspection was normal, cleaned the contacts, watched it work. It only pulls in at the start of the 3rd (last) ball. I do sometimes get the correct 3X bonus score, so I'm assuming the LB relay is doing its job. Sometimes I just get an extra thousand on the 3X bonus score.

Going to a Labor Day get-together now, so I won't get another chance to look at it until this evening. But I appreciate the help so far - thanks!

#10 5 years ago

Thanks Woz - I'll check those tonight when I get home. Currieddog, excuse my ignorance, but what's M/B?

#12 5 years ago

Oh, thanks...duh.

#15 5 years ago

Thanks frb - I'll look at that thousand pt relay too. I don't think the stepper circuit could be the problem since it counts down correctly and scores bonuses correctly if the bonus is only 1X. It only scores incorrectly when the bonus is 2X or 3X. Is my thinking about that correct?

#17 5 years ago

Well, I just spent some time looking at the score motor switches. I took the whole 1A stack of switches off and cleaned the contacts, examined the solder tabs, checked the gaps and how they were opening and closing as the platters turned...and it all looked good to me. I was able to look closely at the switches on 3 1/2 D, 2D, 3B - and they all looked good as far as I could tell - the gaps between contacts didn't look so small that there might be some contact bouncing, they all seemed to close and open cleanly as the motor turned. The switches on 4B were alot harder to get to - had to pull the motor all the way out of the bottom board to see them, but I think I saw them, cleaned the contacts, saw that they were opening and closing as the motor turns. Again, I was looking carefully at the solder tabs and they all looked good. Some of those switches were tough to get to so maybe I missed something. I checked the 1000 pt relay (L) in the head and that looked good as well, and seems to work normally.

So I'm looking at the schematic and wondering what could cause the 2X bonus to be about 1.5X (more or less)... I'm not good enough at reading schematics and understanding the switch logic to be able to puzzle that out.

I put everything back together and played some games to make sure I hadn't screwed anything up, and it worked fine - but the problem is still there, and still the same - about 1.5X bonus when it should be 2X, an extra thousand or two on the 3X bonuses, and the 1X bonuses score perfectly. I did score over 141K on one game though, so the evening hasn't been a total waste. It's after 11PM here, so I'll quit for tonight and pick it up again after work tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyone who's suggested places to look for the problem...it's a huge help knowing someone else is out there thinking about it with me.

#20 5 years ago

Hey curriedog,

Thanks for replying. I did pull the AX relay a while back but didn't do anything to it but inspect it - I had heard how finicky those relays are, so didn't mess around too much with it. But I'll check it again....maybe clean the contacts.

There wasn't anything stapled inside the cabinet, but is this what you're talking about on the schematic?

QD score motor switches (resized).jpgQD score motor switches (resized).jpg
#21 5 years ago

I did have a chance to go in and look at the AX relay. All the solder tabs look good, no visible shorts...not much movement on that sucker! But I cleaned the contacts (carefully) and made sure they were apart and touching when they were supposed to be. Put it back in and played a couple games - no change...same bonus problem. It's the same for both players, by the way - don't know if I mentioned that, or if it matters.

#23 5 years ago

Nothing like that inside, I'm afraid. Man, that's useful - I'd love to have that detailed switch information handy. What game is that one from?

Maybe I can dig one up from PBR or online somewhere.

#24 5 years ago

Spent some more time looking at the score motor again - put on my magnifying glasses and really looked at 4A and 1A - both of which get 5 pulses every motor turn (well, 1/3 turn). Cleaned all the contacts with alcohol and a flexstone, watched them as I rotated the motor by hand - they all looked good. Took a good long look at relay 4B, LB and AX, filed and cleaned contacts, watched them as the relay moved...it all looks good to me. Did the same with Motor 2D and Motor 3B and Motor 3 1/2 D. I must be missing something obvious...or maybe not obvious, but I'm definitely missing something.
I do notice that the bonus stepper doesn't count down smoothly - it seems to count down a little erratically. But I don't know if that's important since I'm still fuzzy on how exactly those bonus pulses get to where they're going. With a 2X and 3X bonus, does the thousands coil get 2 or 3 pulses before the bonus stepper counts down 1?
I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks all.

#25 5 years ago

I don't know what it means, but maybe somebody out there will be able to make sense of it. I was looking at the E relay, which is the bonus collection relay, and it works fine. But I was watching the bonus stepper while I tripped the ball drain switch, and watching how it ratcheted back to the zero bonus position. When the bonus is 1X, the stepper decrements evenly, and I can hear the thousands chime register once each time the decrement solenoid fires. When the bonus is 3X, the stepper also decrements evenly, and I can hear the thousands chime register 3 times each time the decrement solenoid fires. But when the bonus is 2X, the decrement solenoid fires in a pattern that is regular, but not even....it's 2 quick firings, then 2 slower firings. I can hear the thousands chime ding once on each of the quick firings, and twice during each of the slower firings. So it's kind of: X...X...X......X...... That would explain the approximately 1.5X bonus that I'm getting when I'm supposed to be getting 2X. So apparently, something is causing the decrement solenoid to fire in that uneven pattern. Anyone have any idea what that would be?

#27 5 years ago

I can't believe a 1.5X bonus is intentional. What do you get when you get an odd number of bonuses? The rules sheet does say it should be 2X. Mine, and it sounds like yours too, is consistent, but it's got to be consistently wrong. But that's an idea - if I can't find the problem, I can just change the rule sheet!

#30 5 years ago

Hey DNO - this is the page from the instruction book that describes the scoring. I'm sure it's supposed to be 2X when A, B and C have been rolled over except on the last ball (I have it set for 3-balls). And it would be just as easy (probably easier) to make the bonus stepper decrement solenoid fire 4 even pulses rather than short, short, long, long - which is what's happening now and giving us the 1.5X bonus. So I'm looking for something that pulses unevenly in that pattern to fire that decrement solenoid. Hopefully, more time looking at the schematic will clarify something for me.

But I'm glad someone else has had this problem - nice to know this thread will help someone besides just me.

QD rules (resized).jpgQD rules (resized).jpg

#32 5 years ago

Hey curriedog,

My score motor switch card is history, but I did find the same information on page 7 of the manual...sorry it took me so long to find it.

So it looks like I should be focusing on motor switches: 2B (fourth sw), 2D (second sw), 3B (second sw), 3 1/2 D, 4A (inside sw) since the subtract bonus solenoid is firing in that odd pattern?

I have not checked the coils with a multimeter yet. They're definitely working, pulling the armature in, so would I be looking for a partial short or something?

QD motor switch list (resized).jpgQD motor switch list (resized).jpg
#34 5 years ago

Had a chance to dig in to it last night and really look at all those score motor switches mentioned above. Pulled them off the score motor and examined them, cleaned them with alcohol and 800 grit sandpaper, squeezed the contacts with needlenose pliers, resoldered a couple of the wire connections, put them back on the motor and turned it by hand to watch them open and close....no change. It's got to be something else.

Maybe I can get the bonus ready to give 2X, then unplug the score motor and turn it by hand, see what the bonus stepper does in slow motion?

#36 5 years ago

Thanks woz - I'll try it then. I suppose there's a danger of burning out a coil somewhere if you let the motor stay still too long? How long is too long?
And thanks for the tip about the switch dogs - I thought that might be a possibility if this is some sort of timing issue, so I checked them and they are in the correct position. I'll check them again, though, since I'm running out of ideas.

1 week later
#39 5 years ago

Hi Howard,

Nope...still stymied by it. Still getting about 1.5X bonus when I should be getting 2X. Got to be the bonus subtract coil getting some extra pulses, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

10 months later
#41 4 years ago

Thanks for that reply, Mark. I'll re-read it tomorrow when I'm less tired and have the schematic in front of me, and I'll see if I can make sense of it all. I never did fully understand the bonus system on this game, so troubleshooting it has been....frustrating. I do have 2 12-volt lights ready to go, so I can see how the bonus decrement solenoid is firing. I've been listening to the 1000 pt chime as I watch the bonus decrement solenoid fire, but I'll hook up the lights and see if that tells me anything new. I'll check motor switches 2D and 3B too.
This game does seem to be sensitive to switch timing. There was a point where it was giving points to player 2 at the beginning of player 1's ball, and that was solved by opening the gap on the ball trough switch so it closed just a hair later. Touchy little thing! If the game weren't so much fun, I'd have given up long ago.

Thank you!

#43 4 years ago

Hi slochar - I didn't think of that. It looks just like every other Gottlieb I've poked my head into - which were all US versions. I haven't noticed any unusual markings...how would a 50Hz machine be marked? The voltages are all US normal - 6V for the lights and 27 or so for everything else.

#46 4 years ago

I've been looking at any labels I could find on the inside of the machine, on the transformer - anywhere, and I don't see anything that would indicate that the machine was built for a European market, or that it should be running at 50Hz. So I'm just going to assume that it's an American machine and the problem has something to do with timing of switches.

I don't have a reference to be able to tell whether or not the bonus cadence is faster than "normal". So for now, I'll go on the assumption that it's a 60Hz machine.

#47 4 years ago

MarkG - I was re-reading your post, trying to make sure I understand it. I have the game set on 5-ball, which means that I only get 2X bonus on the fifth ball, and only if I have NOT rolled over all 3 rollovers (A,B & C). If I HAVE rolled over all 3 rollovers, I get 3X bonus (theoretically), but otherwise, I should get 2X bonus. So regarding that 4th pulse from motor 4A, that means that relay 4B (A-B-C sequence completed relay) is not tripped, so no pulse can get through the motor 3 1/2 D switch in the Subtract Bonus Unit circuit. Is that correct?

#48 4 years ago

I did just check that motor switches 2D and 3B are wired in parallel, and they are.

#49 4 years ago

@MarkG, I just hooked up the bulbs across the bonus subtract solenoid lugs and attached a video that shows what I saw. I tried to explain this in a much earlier post, but it probably wasn't very clear. As you can see, the solenoid does fire and rotate the stepper each time it gets a pulse....but why this rhythm of pulses? You can probably hear in the background that the thousand chime is being hit in a regular rhythm.

Thanks for thinking about this...I've been stumped for a while now.

Actually, I just tried to attach the video file and it's too big and I'm not sure I'm allowed to attach videos in any case. I'll try to email you a link to it. Sorry about that!

#52 4 years ago

Ah, thanks as always, @HowardR. (Nice to hear from you!) Here's a link to the video on youtube:

#53 4 years ago

MarkG - thank you for that analysis (and the time it took!). I believe you're right about the rhythm of the pulses. So is it only a score motor switch that I'm looking for that's closed when it shouldn't be? I am comfortable (probably too comfortable) poking around in there with the power on, so I could try the second troubleshooting option as well if I don't burn out the bonus subtract coil. But I'll start with the first option. Just want to make sure I'm looking only on the score motor for the switch that's closed and shouldn't be.

Looking at the motor sequence chart, I wonder if switch 2C could be staying closed a little too long....

Thanks for the help - I never would have been able to break it down that clearly myself.

#57 4 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions! Back in post 32, I pulled and cleaned switches 2B, 2D, 3B, 3 1/2 D and 4A. I think I checked all the switchdog positions then as well...but I'll check them again to be sure and report back. I don't think I was checking the timing of the switches, though - especially on that 3rd pulse from 4A to see if any other switch was closed then that shouldn't be.

I do use Nic's dremel method to clean switches, so I'll use that, make sure they're clean and moving a bit after contact, but then I think Mark is right - I need to see if there's a closed switch somewhere on that motor during that 3rd pulse from 4A. I may not be able to get to it tonight, but I'll definitely do it over the weekend and let everyone know what I find. Hopefully something... The bottom board is still in the machine, so I hope my back holds up for this exercise!

Thanks again!

#58 4 years ago

Oh my God, I think it's fixed! I checked the position of all the switch dogs, and they were correct according to the schematic (thanks Mike and rolf). As MarkG suggested, I turned off the machine, turned the score motor until the 3rd tooth was closing 4A (third pulse), then looked around at the other switches involved (and not involved).

I eventually saw that 2D was closed but just at the very end of it's bent actuator's length (the actuator hadn't quite cleared the cam on the score motor) and wondered if the 3rd 4A pulse could be getting through that switch as it looks like it could on the schematic. I hoped that if I bent the actuator so that the switch cleared the cam and opened a little bit earlier, and was thus open while the 3rd pulse was being sent, that the 3rd pulse wouldn't go to the subtract bonus unit. And I'll be damned if it didn't work!

I've attached a photo of the actuator that I bent. I pinched it so that the curve was a little more severe and it cleared the post just a little bit earlier. This was taken after bending the actuator - you can see that it just barely clears the post now.

This problem's been bothering me for over a year. I want to buy everyone who helped on this topic a beer! If any of you guys are ever in Charlottesville, VA - tell me and I'll treat you to beer (or whatever you drink), pizza and pinball (there's a good arcade here). I'm not even kidding. I couldn't have done this without all the help explaining how the bonus circuit works and @MarkG's analysis of the pulses. Thanks so much to everyone!

I've attached a photo of the machine, because I know we all like our baby pictures, and my wife and I just re-stenciled the cabinet a few weeks ago. She used to stencil things for a living - that came in handy! She cut the stencils by hand out of mylar sheets.

Now it's on to a Slick Chick at the arcade! Thanks again, everyone!
Motor 2D (resized).JPGMotor 2D (resized).JPGQuick Draw (resized).jpgQuick Draw (resized).jpg

#61 4 years ago

Ah rats - MarkG - I got so excited by the 2X working that I didn't check the 3X. It still is only intermittently correct. That Ed Krynski was just too clever for his own good!

I just played 3 games with 3X bonus at the end. I got:

10K bonus turned into 33K
11K bonus turned into 33K (correct)
10K bonus turned into 31K

I'll play more games a bit later today and see if I can get some sort of consistency, or a pattern. The offer of beer, pizza and pinball still stands, though!

MikeO - It's all an illusion! Quick Draw and Card Whiz have 27" legs, Flipper Pool has 28.5" legs. Apparently, they were drilling the leg holes all over the place. We have a Royal Flush and Target Alpha (both 1976) at the arcade here and they're both very high, like my Card Whiz. Quick Draw probably had 28.5" legs from the factory, but it felt kind of high as my wife and I are both on the shorter side of things, so I just put 27's on it so it would be more comfortable for both of us (If I listen very hard, I think I can hear Steve Young still crying). I got Flipper Pool with those legs on it, and as you can see, it was short enough to be comfortable for us, so just left them on. Maybe people were shorter in 1965.... I know I was.

#62 4 years ago

Ran some tests on 3X bonus this morning. Nothing consistent except that it's always extra bonus, never less than it should be. I'm guessing that means another switch is open a little too long, preventing the bonus decrement coil from firing as often as it should and allowing a couple too many bonus pulses to make it through?

Bonus -- Actual bonus awarded
1K - 4K --- Correct
5K --------- Correct once, +1K once
6K --------- +2K once, +1K once
7K --------- +2K once, correct once

etc....nothing consistent.

Would the lights help pinpoint when the pulse to the bonus decrement coil ISN'T happening?

Looking at the schematic, the 4B relay is involved this time (on the 3X bonus) so those 4B switches would be opposite as shown on the schematic? So that would mean that motor 3 1/2 D can then get involved? Are these the relevant switches then?

3X switches (resized).JPG3X switches (resized).JPG
#67 4 years ago

Hey guys,
I just made another video showing the 3X bonus in action. Maybe it will tell better minds than mine something important:

I'll read through what Mark and rolf just posted and get my head wrapped around it before I say anything stupid. Yes Mike, the 1X and 2X bonus is scoring correctly.

Mike - yes, i believe Card Whiz has the correct legs, tall as it is. The others don't - I've read different things, but it seems like pre '76, they used 31" legs. All these machines came from people's homes, and I have no idea their history before that, if legs were swapped in moves, etc., so I really don't know if any of these legs were original, though Quick Draw did come with 31" legs. It felt tall to me. As they stand now, the front of the lockdown bars are 34 1/2" on Quick Draw, 38" on Card Whiz, and 35" on Flipper Pool. I'm 5'9" and my wife is 5'4", so I'm probably keeping Quick Draw and Flipper Pool on the low side of things with 27" legs just because it's comfortable for us. But if I have a hundred bucks to throw around, I might put 28 1/2" legs on Quick Draw one day....it feels a little bit low right now. I was just kidding about Steve Young crying in the other post - he seemed really laid back about it and said, "Meh, just put it where it feels comfortable for you." So I did....

Thanks, guys!

#68 4 years ago

Mark, I just set the game for ball 5, 3X bonus with 1K and 2K ready to go, unplugged the score motor and manually moved it with the light on the subtract bonus coil. It does indeed fire on the third pulse from 4A on the 1K bonus, and fires on the 3rd and 6th pulse on the 2K bonus. You can see that in the video as well, the pulses to the subtract bonus coil are evenly spaced. "Fire - chime - chime - Fire - chime -chime - etc.

I just did the same thing; unplugged and rotated the score motor by hand, watching the score and light (subtract coil pulse) with a bonus of 12K. It worked perfectly - my score went up by 1K every time there was a pulse on 4A, and every third pulse made the subtract coil fire, so it counted down normally with the correct amount of bonus (3 X 12 or 36K). And the pulses to the subtract coil are on pulses 3 and 6.

And additionally, every 6th pulse happens without the switches on 4A moving, so that pulse is coming from 2B, as you'd expect. If I close 2B manually, it does add 1K to my score and decrements the bonus remaining by 1. So that's all working as expected.

So.....could it be a switch bouncing or something that's happening at full speed that isn't happening when I slowly turn the motor by hand?

There are 2 switches involved on 2B - one that decrements the bonus count, and one that adds 1K to the score:

Could the switch that adds 1K be bouncing but not the one that decrements the bonus count? In other words, the 3rd switch is bouncing and the 4th isn't? i may open the third switch on 2B a bit and see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed.

motor 2B switches (resized).JPGmotor 2B switches (resized).JPG
#69 4 years ago

No...no luck. I took the entire 2B switch stack apart, cleaned everything, examined the lugs and solder joints closely for anything that could short, separated the contacts just a little bit, and put it back together....same result.

Mark, you mentioned that you watched my video the other night in slow motion. Could you do that again with the latest 3X bonus video and determine where the extra thousands actually happen? I don't know if it's consistent from game to game, but it might mean something.

It's after midnight - I'm tired so I'll call it a night. Thanks again for all your effort, guys!

#70 4 years ago

But before I quit, I thought "what about the switch on 4A that adds 1K to the score?" And guess what....I opened that switch (the outer of the 2 on 4A) and it works correctly now. I'll test it a few more times tomorrow (well, for years actually), but I tested it twice at 10 and 15K bonus, and it added the correct bonus both times. So it was one switch on motor 4A that was gapped a little too closely.....Geez!

I've gotta say, after working through this with you guys, I'm more impressed than ever with the engineers and designers who came up with this switch logic. Yes, it's touchy - but when it works, it's amazing what they were able to do with one motor and a bunch of switches!

And I'm impressed with the minds, talents and generosity of you folks that help schlubs like me on this forum. Thanks once again to everyone who gave this their thought and time: MarkG, MikeO, curriedog, HowardR, rolf, woz and anyone else you see in these 70 posts! I'm more grateful than I can say. And I'm serious about the pizza and beer - Charlottesville, VA - just let me know if you find yourself here and food and pinball are on me!

In summary (for anyone who doesn't want to slog through all 70 of these posts), there were 2 problems: a leaf spring switch activator on motor 2D that was causing an extra pulse to the "subtract bonus unit" and thus making it count down too fast and short me bonus on 2X bonuses, and then a switch on motor 4A that was gapped too close, awarding me random extra bonus on 3X bonuses as the switch bounced.

Now I'm going to bed!

#72 4 years ago

Hey Mark,
Yes, of course I'd be happy to earn a little extra credit. That would be interesting if the sequence chart has been wrong for 44 years and nobody caught it! *laugh* I was also a little confused by why a mis-adjusted 4A wouldn't have manifested its incorrect scoring ONLY on the 3X bonus. The 4A switch is common to every mode of bonus scoring, isn't it? But I know it's working now!

I'll report back later this morning when I have a chance to turn the score motor by hand and tell you when 3 1/2 D closes.

I'll send you a link to something via email today, too...thanks!

#73 4 years ago

Funny you should mention the score motor locking pin. This game never had one in place (still doesn't). I drove up to Philly to pick this game up and was pretty gentle with it, but even so, I suppose the score motor could have flopped around and a couple switches gotten bent out of shape. Good call!

There was a guy back in post 26 - DNO - who's QD always scored the same way and he thought it was normal. I hope he's still paying attention to this thread.

#74 4 years ago

I just went down and rotated the score motor by hand. You're right, switch 3 1/2 D closes on the 3rd pulse from 4A, not the fourth. 3 1/2 D closes just before the 4A switch closes on the 3rd tooth, and stays closed until just after the 4A switch opens again.

I'll adjust the sequence chart on my schematic.

#76 4 years ago

I would think if you posted it here, buried as it is, nobody would ever find it. I'd suggest a new thread with topic heading "Quick Draw score motor sequence chart error"

....or something equally catchy. At least it would come up if somebody searched for Quick Draw.

Thoughts?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-quick-draw-bonus-scoring-issue-1?tu=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.