(Topic ID: 141209)

Gottlieb Quick Draw bonus counter not stopping

By Ramtuathal

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hello. I'm working on a 1975 Gottlieb Quick Draw. The game plays well 85% of the time, but when a "high" bonus is accumulated (usually past 10,000 in one ball, and typically on ball 5), the end of ball activates the bonus countdown and the score reels continue to turn well after the bonus is counted. The bonus stepper continues to step, and sometimes on a P1 game, it will add a score to the P2 hundreds and thousands. Oddly, pressing both flipper buttons simultaneously stops the bonus (and, rarely, it goes into Tilt). I have the schematics and instruction manual. Any suggestions on where I should start looking?

#2 8 years ago

On the schematic, check the logic for the "Subtract Bonus Unit" solenoid (around 12E to 13E on the schematic).

But a quick check of the zero position switch on the bonus unit would be a place to start. It needs to open when the bonus unit reaches zero to open the lock-in path to the 'E' relay. If E stays energized, then the score motor will keep running, and the bonus unit will keep trying to count down. (So also check if E is staying energized when the problem occurs.)

#3 8 years ago

@Dirt: False alarm. After checking E and 12E-13E and around the SBU coil, as well as several other places, I noticed that the rollover in the left outlane was bent and sticking to the side of its slot / hole in the playfield. It was pinned down and continuously counting bonus scores. I'm still a little concerned that it was sending P1 scores to P2 reels - seems like that should not happen no matter what, but when the switch was held down, all the scoring and bonus stepping, etc. was shaking the hell out of the machine (so maybe those vibrations were causing the P2 reels to errantly run). Anyway, I kick myself every time I don't look for the obvious answer first. Thanks for your help.

#4 8 years ago

Also, I should note that my original post was confusing (because I was still confused). The bonus appeared to be counting DOWN on the PF lights, but was ADDING scores above, so my original post was misleading - sorry. I was in a pinch and not paying close attention to what the whole machine was doing. Hope that clears up why my solution of fixing that rollover worked.

#5 8 years ago

Glad you were able to sort it out!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 334.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
Sound/Speakers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-quick-draw-bonus-counter-not-stopping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.