You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

36770885-BBF9-490E-9450-13F73080B91F (resized).jpeg
IMG_20210808_170746 - Copy (resized).jpg
IMG_20210808_170831 - Copy (resized).jpg
IMG_20210808_170830 - Copy (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spybryon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Having a small debate about whether this ni-cad battery pack needs to be removed or not from the MPU?

It does retain all the settings.

I say it needs to go. The date code is from 1986 07 and it seems like a ticking time bomb. About to destroy the MPU at any time.

On the other hand, 2 other people stated that it's lasted this long, so it should be good to just leave it alone. Also stated the "made in Japan" means it's high quality.

What's your opinion, leave it alone or get rid of it?

IMG_20210808_170746 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20210808_170746 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20210808_170830 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20210808_170830 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20210808_170831 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20210808_170831 - Copy (resized).jpg
1 week later
#11 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Aren't you a little curious on the voltage reading? It looks spectacular for being 35 years old.

Next time I am at the machine, will check the voltage on this old battery.

Thanks everyone for the great tips on what to use.

I had been using memory caps as my go to replacement. It should work great in this SYS 80 board. However, I just recently learned (on pinside) that memory caps aren't a great option for the WPC games due to the clock draining the cap voltage down too quick. NVRAM is also not a good option for WPC due to loosing the midnight madness on certain games. So what's everyone been doing on WPC these days?

The best option I can think of is a remote battery pack on long wires lowered down in the cab, placed in a ziplock bag for good measure. Perhaps down by the coin door. I don't like keeping the battery pack in the head, due to the proximity to boards. Even if you get it away from the MPU, if it's still in the head it's going to be nearby another board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spybryon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-premier-system-80b-replace-the-battery-pack-or-leave-it-alone?tu=spybryon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.