10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mosfet.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronnie1114.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I just finished shopping out my Gottlieb Wipe Out. During the shop I had rebuilt all the pop bumpers, but now when I turn the game on 2 of them lock on. The other one operates fine. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Leaf blade switches stuck closed ? The ones that fire them.
LTG : )

OK, checked the switches and they were fine. But this time I turned on the machine and it just blew the 2 fuses that the pop bumpers are on. They didn't lock on. the switch still scores fine. Thanks for the help

#4 10 years ago

Buuuuummmmmpppp

#9 10 years ago

K noob question here, what is a MOSFET. And I didn't take the boards out of the machine so I don't see any way they could have been switched.

#11 10 years ago

OK I'll check that. One more question, there is a aux resistor board down in the cabinet that is pretty toasty. Would this have anything to do with the pop bumpers?

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

It could. I'm not as familiar with System3 and would need to look at a schematic to know for sure. But most of the time when a coil locks on it's due to the switch not adjusted properly or the MOSFET went bad. As a side note, most other manufacturers used TIP transistors instead of MOSFETs. They look the same but are not interchangeable.

Ok , but everything was working before I took it apart. Is there anything that would just make one of those go bad?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

Another idea on this. Did you replace the coils? You could have soldered the wires on in reverse. Also the diode on the coil could be bad or if you removed the diode it could have been put on backwards.

I don't replace them but I did unsolder them. I thought I might have switched them around so when they didn't work I swapped them. Before they didn't do anything but blow fuses. Now they lock on and blow fuses.

#19 10 years ago

I didn't notice any diodes on the pop bumper coils. I'll check when home though.

#21 10 years ago

OK, I read through the schematics and found that I have them wired correctly right now. I tested the diodes and they seem fine but idk if I was testing them right. The only thing I couldn't figure out were the mofets

#23 10 years ago

Like physically upside down? or the wires swapped?

Quoted from centerflank:

Did you install the coils upside down?

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Are the coil lugs by the armature sliding into it. If not, I believe its incorrect, just trying to help

No worries man! I appreciate any help I can get. The lugs are by the coil stop. I realized that was wrong after I put everything back together but I didn't think it would effect anything so I kinda ignored it. Does to do anything?

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

Are you having problems on how to test them or how to locate them?

I can't figure out either lol. Thanks for all of the help from everyone.

#29 10 years ago

OK will do. Thanks.

2 weeks later
#31 10 years ago

OK Finally got around to messing with it. What I did is I unsoldered the pop bumper that was working and put it in one of the non-working ones. That made it not work and then I put one of the ones that wasn't working into the working one and it did work. So its not the diode. Also, I noticed that when i put the fuse in one of the non working ones the solenoid got hot and then blew the fuse. Thanks for all the help

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

Sounds like a bad MOSFET at this point. If your comfortable with board repair you will need to trace it down on your schematic and replace it. If your not comfortable with unsoldering/soldering on your boards you can send them out for repair.

I've never done any before. Is replacing a MOSFET considered hard?

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

Its not hard but if you have never unsoldered/soldered on a computer board you will want to practice a little bit on a junk board first. You just have to be careful not to apply too much heat and ruin a trace or hole pad. If you practice on a junk board first a few times you should be fine.

Yeah, I don't have any boards laying around. Who does this kind of work and how much does it cost?
Once again, Thanks for all your help

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yeah, there are a few people here who do excellent work. Not THAT expensive and they will check out and fix the entire board.

OK I know of rob but last I heard he is backed up. I also need my f14 fixed as well.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from SpOoKyRiDeS:

Clive Jones at coin-op cauldron. Great guy and good prices. ~Spooky

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronnie1114.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-pop-bumper-help?tu=ronnie1114 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.