(Topic ID: 309400)

Gottlieb playfields

By Pinbub

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

balls2 (resized).jpg
    20200716_162853 (resized).jpg
    20200716_160801 (resized).jpg
    1A--ABRA-WIZ-GLASS-low (resized).jpg
    10-Abra-wizard-playfield-10low (resized).jpg
    20210625_124335 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I'm wondering why the Gottlieb family, wouldn't approve their art to be used on playfields or hardtops? I hear that everything Gottlieb had to go through Steve at PBR. I've also heard he's terrible to deal with.

Does anyone else wish we could get useable playfields for vintage Gottlieb stuff?

I'm at a loss for why licensed people wouldn't tap into that gold mine. It could be deep. Is there anyone doing Gottlieb stuff?

This post was inspired by a 1976 Volley.

#2 2 years ago

Wade Krause out on the west coast does Gottlieb pf's. Beautifully, too!

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

he's terrible to deal with.

He’s very fair and has a lot of great relationships with his suppliers otherwise he wouldn’t be able to stock what he has.

Sometimes he doesn’t sound like it but he does love all his customers. He can get fired up though

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

I've also heard he's terrible to deal with.

Heard that from who?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from paulace:

Wade Krause out on the west coast does Gottlieb pf's.

Mirco has also done several Gottliebs.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

I'm wondering why the Gottlieb family, wouldn't approve their art to be used on playfields or hardtops? I hear that everything Gottlieb had to go through Steve at PBR. I've also heard he's terrible to deal with.
    Does anyone else wish we could get useable playfields for vintage Gottlieb stuff?
    I'm at a loss for why licensed people wouldn't tap into that gold mine. It could be deep. Is there anyone doing Gottlieb stuff?

I produce the bank-a-ball animation balls for Steve. The process was painless .. submitted a sample and set a wholesale price. He did all the rest.

At on time reproduction stuff was supposed to be manufactured exactly like the original was made but he dropped that requirement like 10 years ago.

Submit the art to him and I bet he can do the rest.

Mike V

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from RacingPin:

I produce the bank-a-ball animation balls for Steve.

Thank you for helping with this

(A bank a Ball owner)

#8 2 years ago

Thank you, RacingPin - I have 2 of your balls in my Flipper Pool. Wait...that didn't sound right....

#9 2 years ago

Gottlieb Development the rights holder, desires to protect the Gottlieb image... That said I wished to utilize some of the Gottlieb art for a new never been seen pinball pf and bg. I went through the process, showed art that is worthy of the Gottlieb label and yes has been APPROVED for use. It is in the final printing and once done will go through a quality check and then will be released in 1 to 2 months. Anybody who wants to do a faithful reproduction of the Gottlieb art can go through the process and after appropriate approval and reasonable fees turn out (produce) and resell the art.

See my sample art that I submitted: "Wizard"

Ken

10-Abra-wizard-playfield-10low (resized).jpg10-Abra-wizard-playfield-10low (resized).jpg1A--ABRA-WIZ-GLASS-low (resized).jpg1A--ABRA-WIZ-GLASS-low (resized).jpg20210625_124335 (resized).jpg20210625_124335 (resized).jpg

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

I've bought six new fully licensed Gottlieb playfields in recent years including these two beauties.

20200716_160801 (resized).jpg20200716_160801 (resized).jpg20200716_162853 (resized).jpg20200716_162853 (resized).jpg
    #11 2 years ago

As pinhead52 mentioned, the fees were reasonable. And because such things are 'reasonable' more and more (thankfully) Gottlieb products are available to us.
    Contrast that with the woes experienced by the former Pinball Rescue toward trying to reproduce, under licence, WMS stuff. A perfect example of shortsighted marketing which effectively meant that nobody could buy decent quality parts for their WMS machines.

#12 2 years ago

The Gottlieb IP is apparently controlled by Gottlieb Development LLC, not Steve Young/Pinball Resource. He is one of several licensees for Gottlieb products. He may ultimately sell newly approved products, but I don’t know his level of involvement in approving new products in conjunction with Gottlieb Development LLC.

Gottlieb Development LLC is willing to license more Gottlieb material. See here: https://mondialgroup.com/gottlieb.htm

#13 2 years ago

Gottlieb Development LLC is willing to license more Gottlieb material. See here: https://mondialgroup.com/gottlieb.htm

Pretty generic website....is that even real? Last updated 2016,the picture shown for that address is a bike company.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

The Gottlieb IP is apparently controlled by Gottlieb Development LLC, not Steve Young/Pinball Resource. He is one of several licensees for Gottlieb products. He may ultimately sell newly approved products, but I don’t know his level of involvement in approving new products in conjunction with Gottlieb Development LLC.

Mondial uses Steve to validate the quality of the finished product. Everything Wade does goes to Steve. Once in awhile Steve will have Wade redo a finish etc, the lac clear coat (not often)

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Mondial uses Steve to validate the quality of the finished product. Everything Wade does goes to Steve. Once in awhile Steve will have Wade redo a finish etc, the lac clear coat (not often)

Makes sense for Steve to be involved in the production and quality aspects.

But I would think that complaints about how over-controlling gottlieb is for their IP should be steered towards Gottlieb Development LLC, not Steve. Unless Steve is a member of Gottlieb Development LLC.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cleanerman:

Pretty generic website....is that even real? Last updated 2016,the picture shown for that address is a bike company.

“Mondial International Corporation owns and manages a portfolio of affiliate companies, including Gottlieb Development LLC and various real estate investment entities.”

No reason to think it’s not real. Mondial handles a variety of business ventures, not just gottlieb. Obviously they are not too savvy on the web front.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from RacingPin:

I produce the bank-a-ball animation balls for Steve.

Thank you for your work - Balls 1, 3, 12, and 15 are thanks to you and Steve!

balls2 (resized).jpgballs2 (resized).jpg
    #18 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

Makes sense for Steve to be involved in the production and quality aspects.
    But I would think that complaints about how over-controlling gottlieb is for their IP should be steered towards Gottlieb Development LLC, not Steve. Unless Steve is a member of Gottlieb Development LLC.

Steve is not, only 1 dude holding down Gottlieb Development. He just cant deal with "1 of" kind of licensing, it has to be some scale to it. We could certainly use another "Wade" to get more pfs turned out. But we'll see Wade produce 4-5 this year, not bad. And of course Shay and Ron Webb are turning out great glass for us.

Still we miss all the plastics and decals rescue did for us...

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Still we miss all the plastics and decals rescue did for us...

Any chance of somebody taking over from Rescue?
    Those apron decals for Gottliebs were great. I'm glad I bought a few extra before he closed shop.

#20 2 years ago

I really don’t understand this post. Is it really the License that is limiting products or is the limited number of folks who have the talent, time, and resources to invest to bring these products to market?

Also is there really an unmet demand for “useable playfields”? Some games are never going to have new playfields made for them because there is no demand. And if someone did you wouldn’t be able to afford it. Even some popular games never get enough interested people to bring them to market.

On top of that, you need buyers willing to do the work of a playfield swap. I work hard to keep my games in the best possible condition and I wish some were nicer. But I’ve never even considered a playfield swap. I would have more money in a playfield than I have wrapped up in half of my machines.

Anyway there are many barriers to entry but I don’t see the license as one. Count me as grateful for the ones who take a chance on making stuff that keeps our games working and looking good.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

As pinhead52 mentioned, the fees were reasonable. And because such things are 'reasonable' more and more (thankfully) Gottlieb products are available to us.
    Contrast that with the woes experienced by the former Pinball Rescue toward trying to reproduce, under licence, WMS stuff. A perfect example of shortsighted marketing which effectively meant that nobody could buy decent quality parts for their WMS machines.

There was no issue getting Williams and Bally stuff from Pinball Rescue as long as they were licensed by Illinois Pinball. It was only after Planetary Pinball and Rick the Prick took over that it went south. And that was the end of Bally and Williams decals and plastics from them. Of course now they're gone altogether so not even Gottlieb stuff available now. Their work was high quality.

It's gone back now to people finding ways to get this stuff done locally and bypassing them. Eff that guy.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Any chance of somebody taking over from Rescue?
    Those apron decals for Gottliebs were great. I'm glad I bought a few extra before he closed shop.

Does anyone know of an alternative supplier for apron decals? I procrastinated too long and then Rescue was gone

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-playfields?hl=flipsteen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.