3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by redrock
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Groovy XBa (resized).jpg
    Player Lights (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

My Gottlieb Groovy (1970) 4-Player at power on has a minor issue in that the 2nd player score lights are off; 1,3 and 4 are on.
    1st player lights are on by virtue of P1F at the zero position.
    3nd and 4th player lights are on by virtue of replay QB engaged.
    But 2nd player relay XB is not engaged thus the switch is open, as it should be. (A video on YouTube show all 4 player lights on.)
    The start sequence works correctly with only the 1st play lit.

Any suggestions?

Player Lights (resized).jpgPlayer Lights (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

I don't have a schematic for that machine, but looks like at power up, the XB and QB relays should be energized, so those 4 (2 XB and 2 QB) switches would be closed and all 4 player score lights would be on. Then when you start a game, those relays must relax, those 4 switches open, and each player's score lights are lit through the P1F, P2F, P3F and P4F switches on the player unit...but only one at a time.

#3 3 years ago

It's pretty common on GTB games of this era to have one or two dark score displays when the game is first turned on. This will depend on the state of the machine when the game was turned off, and may also depend on arcane circuit details like whether the game-over relay is latch-trip or not.

Once you've started and played a game, and have gone into game-over normally, all four displays should be lit. If any score displays aren't lit after the end of a normally played game, then yes there is a problem.

- TimMe

#4 3 years ago

Thank you for moving my direction from the lights to the XB relay. If there is any interest I hope that you see what I see -- no direct power path when the machine is turned on so it must be the end state of the machine.

Groovy XBa (resized).jpgGroovy XBa (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-player-unit-small-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.