• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by weeze
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thumbnail_IMG_0206 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider craig_myers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Picked this machine up 2-3 weeks ago as a project. The “runners” weren’t advancing, the base lites didn’t come on properly, but the Vari-Target worked. I finally have runners advancing like they should for each type of hit, the base targets light up and put a man on like they’re supposed to, but the Vari-Target has stopped resetting. The U relay just sits there and spasms -like it’s opening closing rapidly. In my adjustments, I also adjusted the switch that rides in the Bakelite and closes when the Vari-Target is activated - they were uneven and dragging horribly.

I’ve checked the contacts on the U-relay, they close properly when it activates, and I’ve reset all of the switches on the motor in my other switch cleaning/setting efforts, and have double checked the one at 2C on the motor. Coil resistance is 32 Ohms.

What am I missing???

#3 3 years ago

Yes - 24 volts from the orange wire on the lockout to the brown-red wire on U trips the relay and it stays tripped until I remove the jumper.

#5 3 years ago

Hi Lee, thanks for the help. I tried what you said. The U relay is cycling in a deliberate pattern with the motor, but it’s like the signal is late on the white-silver wire (1c, 2nd from the inside) that connects through U to yellow black that resets the target. If I hold the u relay closed as it cycles, the target resets. I was going to post a video, but I guess I can’t.

Totally new to the EM world. If I check resistance across the switch with a multi-meter and it’s close to zero, it should be good...yes? All of the switches on 1c, 2c, and U pass this test when closed.

#7 3 years ago

Lee, that got it! The zero position switches weren’t fully closing.

Now...it Tilts. I tried to play (with kid gloves even) 4 games and never made it past ball 3. Always on a single, but not every single, but always either a Vari-target or the left single flipper lane when it happened, and I think a man on third, so a run would be scoring. I’m at a loss as to where those circuits would meet up. It didn’t do this when I started, and I haven’t even touched the big relay bank in the back were the XB relay lives. The Ball In Play unit does take a little bit (5 to 60 seconds) to reset when you first turn the game on, but I was going wait to tackle that until I had everything else working. Since both the Tilt and Ball In Play touch the XB relay, could these be related?

#9 3 years ago

That did it. It was the switch in the head. I had thought I’d found them all, but never occurred to me there would be one back there - makes perfect sense why it’s there. Thanks for your help and have a great holiday!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Tom's Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 3.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider craig_myers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-playball-vari-target?tu=craig_myers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.