• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Play Ball Ball Shooter circuit (resized).JPG
Play Ball O relay (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

In trying to help someone having a problem with their "Play Ball", I was looking at the schematic and wondering what could cause the O relay to burn up. Here's the relevant part of the schematic:

Play Ball O relay (resized).JPGPlay Ball O relay (resized).JPG

I see that the ball drains, closing the Ball Return switch, which energizes the Q relay, which energizes the P relay, which turns the score motor and energizes the O relay. If the O relay is working correctly, the P relay would then turn off at the end of the score motor cycle. The O relay has to stay energized to launch the ball when the right flipper starts the score motor:

Play Ball Ball Shooter circuit (resized).JPGPlay Ball Ball Shooter circuit (resized).JPG

It looks like the O relay stays energized until 10 or 100 pts are scored (M or L relay fires) to open one of those 2 switches in series with the O relay. It also looks like this happens with every ball, unlike games that use a First Ball relay.

What keeps the O relay (or the Q relay, for that matter) from burning up if someone walks away from the game with a game unfinished and the ball sitting in the outhole? I guess that was unlikely to happen when the machines were originally routed, and people were paying for each game - so maybe it wasn't a consideration for the designer. But in a home setting, I could see the kids playing the game in the basement, getting to ball 3, being called up for dinner, and forgetting about the game for a couple of days, or until the smell brought Dad down. Or in a modern arcade with a flat entrance fee and all the games set to free-play, people are constantly starting a game, losing interest and walking away with a game unfinished (usually a 4-player game...oy!).

Am I missing something obvious?

#2 1 year ago

Your logic looks correct to me. You might try substituting an A-9738 coil for the factory A-9735, although the A-9738 might have trouble pulling the O relay's 5 switches. Another possibility would be to substitute an interlock relay although that would be a bigger undertaking and would be confusing to future owners because the game would no longer match the schematic.

#3 1 year ago

Hey Howard - nice to hear from you. I'm glad my reasoning is sound. I don't know that the person is up for any major changes - I just wanted to be sure that he'll know to play complete games on the machine. Wouldn't be a good machine to have in a public arcade.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-playball-o-relay-question-1?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.