4C Switch Wires (resized).jpg
4C Switch Wires 1 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 8.05.26 PM (resized).png
DB2 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 8.21.24 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 8.55.03 AM (resized).png
Playball Ball Count (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 1.12.09 AM (resized).png
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

The obsession continues…

I just picked up a Gottlieb Playball.
I have two issues that I guess are related to each other that I could use some help.

1> Upon activating the replay button, with the ball sitting in the plunger trough(?) the ball count will go 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (ball count unit 1-5 rivets) and then game over.

Now, if I activate the replay button but briefly touch the contacts in the plunger trough the game will go right to ball 1 and I can play after hitting the right flipper.

I seems as long as the ball in sitting in the trough the game will only cycle and go to game over.

2>The other related problem is the ball will not eject when I hit the right flipper button.
I cleaned the contacts under the apron but still no luck, I have to manually put the ball on the playfield.

I tried testing the coil that ejects the ball but my multimeter had crazy readings all over the place.
I also have the schematic but I’m still a bit of a novice.

Before I try anything else and risk making more problems for myself I figured to just ask for advice on how to fix it.

Thank you all for your help.

#2 5 years ago

The ball count issue sounds like a normally open (NO) switch is in the closed position. You would need to look at the circuit that includes the ball count advance solenoid. Look for the ball count advance solenoid on the schematic and find the switches in the circuit that send power to the ball count advance solenoid. Look for any misadjusted switches.

It would be the same process for the ball launcher/kicker. Find the ball launcher/kicker solenoid on the schematic and work back through the circuit to see what switches send power to that solenoid. You'd be looking for a normally closed (NC) switch that was open.

If you have problems identifying the circuit switches, you can post portions of the schematic and we can help you find the switches to adjust and/or clean...

#3 5 years ago

Thank you fredsmythson,

I was just about to turn in for the night when I saw your post.

When I was checking out the ball count unit earlier a label became loose from behind.
One of the switch positions says "open replay button", could this be a bad switch?

I'll check it out and post parts of the schematic later today.

I'm really enjoying this pin despite its current shortcomings.
I really appreciate your help, especially responding past midnight.

Thank you again...

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 1.12.09 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-02-19 at 1.12.09 AM (resized).png
#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Macca:

with the ball sitting in the plunger trough(?) the ball count will go 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (ball count unit 1-5 rivets) and then game over.

The center launch circuitry is a little elaborate, so pull up a chair and see if this makes sense.
Playball Ball Count (resized).jpgPlayball Ball Count (resized).jpg
What should happen is that when the ball drains:
(1) the Ball Return switch closes which activates the (2) Q/Ball Return Control relay.
When the (2) Q/Ball Return Control relay activates it closes the (3) Q relay switch which in turn activates the (4) P/Add Ball Count Unit relay.
When the (4) P/Add Ball Count Unit relay activates it:
- closes a switch (not shown) to start the score motor
- closes a (5) P relay switch to hold itself on until the end of the score motor cycle
- closes another (6) P relay switch to fire the (7) O/Ball Return relay
- closes another (8) P relay switch to fire the (9) Add Ball Count Unit

Based on your description I think all that is happening in your game, but double check to be sure. From here though I think the rest isn't happening. That should include:

When the (7) O/Ball Return relay fires it should open the (10) O relay switch to cut power to the (4) P/Add Ball Count Unit relay once the score motor has completed one cycle, or 1/3 of a turn.

I suspect that your (4) P/Add Ball Count Unit relay is firing and staying active which causes the score motor to keep turning and the (9) Add Ball Count Unit to keep counting up. If that's the case, check that the (10) O relay switch, and (11, 12) two score motor switches are all opening when they should.

The right flipper issue may be related but will take a little more investigation.

/Mark

#5 5 years ago

Hey Mark,

Thank you for that detailed description and image.

I had two instances where the score motor would not stop.
In another pin I have it was because of the score reels not resetting to zero.
This is not the case with Playball.
I don't what I did to make the score motor constantly spin, but it doesn't appear to be a problem at the moment.

When I get home later tonight I'll see if I can trace what is happening based on your suggestions.

Thank you again for taking the time to help.

Also, fredsmythson he is the image of the schematic you requested for the ball shooter coil (16E on the schematic)
I don't see where it says "ball shooter coil", but according to the schematic, it's at position 16E.

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 8.55.03 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-02-19 at 8.55.03 AM (resized).png
#6 5 years ago

It should show as "ball shooter" with a coil symbol below it. I'm referencing a Pro-Football schematic, but it should be similar...

#7 5 years ago

The only place where it says "ball shooter" is on the left side of the schematic where it says "Other relays used."
That would be 16E.
The coils around 16E are "ball return", "coin lockout" and "knocker."

I think Mark implied if the one problem is fixed, it should also fix the other problem.
As least that's what I interpreted.

My evening plans to check out the NC and NO relays were sidetracked but I'm gonna check it after midnight.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Macca:

The only place where it says "ball shooter" is on the left side of the schematic where it says "Other relays used."
That would be 16E.
The coils around 16E are "ball return", "coin lockout" and "knocker."
I think Mark implied if the one problem is fixed, it should also fix the other problem.
As least that's what I interpreted.

I agree. There are a few things that are confusing, suspicious or just plain wrong in that part of the schematic. And I didn't mean to imply that one problem might fix the other... but I hoped so because the right flipper button issue doesn't make sense to me yet.

#9 5 years ago

I've got my head buried in the machine right now. It seems after I hit the replay button the score wheels will reset.
If I put my finger to activate the ball trough contacts the Q "return ball control relay" will activate and the P "add ball count unit relay" will activate, the U relay under the playfield will activate but the O "ball return relay" does not activate at all.

Quick Update: I tried the sequence again and manually engaged The O relay and I did see a spark. So I guess there's some life there.

#10 5 years ago

The O relay will hold itself in once you manually trip it through the path at the very top of the schematic in reply #4. If the O relay doesn't fire on its own, that too would explain what you're seeing. Check the (6) switch in the schematic above and possibly the Score Motor 4C switch to the right of it. They're both in the path that should fire the O relay. If the P relay fires we can rule out the DB2 switch as a possible problem.

#11 5 years ago

I cleaned the O relay, the P relay, and the 4C score motor as best as I could. The O relay has no movement and does not hold at all.

The "ball in play" still cycles 1 through 5 with a ball in the trough.
I have to just simply tap the contacts for the display to only go to ball one.

#12 5 years ago

You need to sort out why the O relay won't fire. That's likely the root cause of most or all of the other problems.

If you manually close the O relay while the P relay is on and it holds itself on, that says that its lock in circuit is working (O, M & L relay switches at the top of the schematic in reply #4.). If it doesn't hold itself on the coil may be bad or it may be that there's a broken wire somewhere so that the coil isn't getting power at all. Here are some things you can try:
- use an alligator test lead to connect the maroon-yellow wire on the P relay solder lug to the green-black wire on the O relay solder lug. The P and O relays should now fire together. That would prove that the O relay coil is good.
- use a bulb tester (described elsewhere in this forum) connected to the solder lugs of the O relay coil to see if it ever gets power.
- with the game unplugged, clip one lead of your meter set to its lowest resistance setting to the O relay solder lug with the green-black wire. Clip the other lead to the orange-black wire on the other side of the (6) P relay switch in the schematic above. If you manually close the P relay your resistance reading should drop from whatever it is normally (maybe 10 ohms or more) to something less than one ohm. That would prove that the P relay switch is making good electrical contact when it closes.
- if the (6) switch tests good, move the lead from the orange-black wire to the white-green wire on the other side of the score motor 4C switch. Manually turn the score motor until that switch closes, then manually close the P relay too. You should again see the resistance drop to an ohm or less if both switches are working properly.

Quoted from Macca:

I have to just simply tap the contacts for the display to only go to ball one.

You'll have to elaborate. What contacts? When do you tap them?

#13 5 years ago

If I manually hold down the O Relay and touch the contacts in the ball trough (see picture)
the Q Ball Return Control Relay will click once and that's it.

The P "Add Ball Count Unit Relay" will not engage at all.

I'll attempt to test it with a multimeter and give an update hopefully tomorrow.

I can't thank you enough Mark for taking the time to help.
This is such a great community, I'm so glad I joined.

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 8.21.24 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-02-20 at 8.21.24 PM (resized).png

Quick Update:
I connected the maroon yellow P relay to the green black O relay with alligator clips.
When I hit the replay button the pin went straight to game over.

I tried using a multimeter but the numbers were all over the place and I couldn't get a steady reading.

I pressed the O relay down as the P relay was engaged and the plunger actually worked. So if I had a ball in the trough it would have shot out into the playfield.

#14 5 years ago

You might want to concentrate on the problem with the ball count solenoid circuit to see why power can get to the ball count solenoid.

When the machine is reset, the ball would be sitting in the ball shooter and the ball count would be on ball 1. The only way the ball count could advance would be through a switch on P relay. So the P relay coil would need to be energized.

To get P relay coil to energize, a Q relay switch needs to be closed. To get the Q switch to close, the ball return switch needs to be closed.

With P relay coil energized, all the P switches close and power can get to the P relay coil, O relay coil and the Add Ball Count Unit solenoid.

We know there is a working circuit for the ball count unit since it will continually count up to ball 5 via score motor switch 4C. Because of this, there would be another main "gateway" switch that would send power to all the relay coils mentioned. This would be DB2 switch. If DB2 is always closed, then power could always get to those relay coils. Take a look at switch DB2 (red/brown wire and white/green wire) and see if it's adjusted properly. Look for any shorting wires at the switch stack.

Looking at the O relay coil, the O relay coil should energize when a switch on P relay is closed. You would need to check the P relay switch (green/black wire and orange/blue wire). Or you can just use a jumper wire from the orange/blue wire of the P switch to the green/black wire at the O relay coil.

Does the machine have the same issues when the you try to start a game without the ball in the ball shooter?

#15 5 years ago

The machine does not have any problems when I start without a ball in the trough.

If the ball is in the trough, it'll go straight to game over.
If I just touch briefly the contacts in the ball trough, it'll start on ball 1.
As soon as I put a ball in the trough, it'll cycle balls to game over.

The Q relay does energize.
The P relay does energize.

I tried a little experiment to see if I could get the O relay to energize.

I just put a small screwdriver tip between the blades of the P relay to complete a circuit.
I did that with all six blade locations.
Unfortunately, the O relay did not energize.

I will take a look at DB2 later today and see if the wires to the blades you mentioned are making contact.
I'm hoping it'll just be a case of cleaning the contacts to make everything work.

#16 5 years ago

Here is a picture of DB2, with the control panel flipped up
I cleaned it a bit along with DB1 just to make sure.
I also tightened the switch stack.

Does everything look good?

With the ball in the trough, the game started at ball one,
the score motor ran till ball five and game over.

I have to find some time to take the main board in the cabinet, put it on top where I can get a better look and hopefully with my limited knowledge, see what the problem could be.

Reviewing past testing suggestions with alligator clips will be so much easier as well.

Should I do anything else on the small control panel with the five relays?

DB2 (resized).jpgDB2 (resized).jpg
#17 5 years ago

Can you see if switch DB2 is opening during the reset process? Usually, the schematic shows the game reset with ball in the ball shooter and the game on ball 1. But, the ball return switch shows as open on the schematic, so I'm not sure what point in the game the schematic is showing. I believe switch DB2 needs to be open after the game resets. If you see the switch opens during the reset process, there might be a short in the switch stack. You can check the switch with a multimeter while the switch is open to see if there is power at both the switch lugs or at the switch stack screws.

I'm wondering if the "control panel" is resetting during the game reset process. When you press the start/replay button, do you hear a loud "clunk" during the reset process?

Another way to approach the problem is to find out why the score motor keeps running. I don't have a full schematic for the machine, but you can look at the schematic to see the possible ways power can get to the score motor. Then you can start blocking the suspect switches to see if the machine will react differently...

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

I'm wondering if the "control panel" is resetting during the game reset process. When you press the start/replay button, do you hear a loud "clunk" during the reset process?

When I have the playfield up and hit the replay button, I see and hear the control panel arm engage and then pull back very fast.

The score motor only runs when the ball in in the trough. It doesn't continue to run like something is stuck on the playfield.

Can you see if switch DB2 is opening during the reset process?

I haven't looked at that switch during the reset process.
Is it okay to loosen the wing nuts of the control panel and lean it back so I can see the switches exposed?
Otherwise, I'll just have to rest my phone in the cabinet and record some video.

You can check the switch with a multimeter while the switch is open to see if there is power at both the switch lugs or at the switch stack screws.

I had problems getting a steady reading with my multimeter.
I put it to ohms with a number of 200 and the reading was all over the place.
I was using the multimeter leads and maybe my hands weren't steady enough.

I have to eventually have the playfield resting on top of the cabinet, leaning over and into the cabinet can be difficult at times.

#19 5 years ago

Using the ohm setting on your multimeter is sometimes difficult, because you won't get accurate readings with the way EM pinball circuitry is designed. Most of the time you'll need to isolate the circuit by disconnecting wires from adjoining circuits. Try to use the AC volt setting to see if any voltage is going through the circuit.

You can fold back the control panel to get better access to the switches, and you can manually operate it to see if the switches are opening and closing properly. But, to get accurate on the switch adjustments, the control panel needs to be screwed down to its bracket. So, you would flip up the control panel, make adjustments, and then flip the control panel down and installed the wing nuts, and test the adjustments by running the machine.

Looking at the score motor, there should be approximately ten primary switches that send power to the score motor. Look at the schematic and follow over to where there are a group of switches. These switches will all have the same color of wire attached to their switch stack. You can make a list of the switches that are closed during the reset process. Most likely P switch will be closed, but are there any other switches that are closed that send power to the score motor? If you can't identify the switches, you can post a portion of the schematic that shows the score motor circuit...

An idea - with the ball in the ball shooter, reset the machine. When you see the game is at ball 1, quickly remove the ball from the ball shooter. After the ball is removed, see if the flippers work and if all the playfield features are active.

#20 5 years ago

An idea - with the ball in the ball shooter, reset the machine. When you see the game is at ball 1, quickly remove the ball from the ball shooter. After the ball is removed, see if the flippers work and if all the playfield features are active.

I did just as you asked:

When I removed the the ball 1 it jumped to ball 2 and that's it. The motor and ball cycling stopped.
As soon as I replaced the ball it cycled to ball 5 and game over.

I will try to get to your other suggestions tonight, if not, I'll do it tomorrow and post the results.

Also, I saw a 10 year old post on rec.games.pinball detailing the same problem I have with the ball cycling to game over.
Can you give me your opinion?

"There is a switch under the ball trough that decrements the ball counter. so the ball hits the outhole, the outhole relay pulls in and kicks the ball to the shooter lane. as the ball goes to the shooter lane, it passes this decrement switch. if the switch is stuck closed, you will get exactly what you are describing above. this switch does get mangled because it's near the front of the playfield, and big handsand misplaced front edge of the PF can bend the switch closed."

I looked under the playfield and I'm not sure what switch he's referring to, but I'll take a better look.

The original poster said he found the solution:

"The O relay was never firing. You helped in guiding me to reading the schematics. There was a switch on the P relay that was not closing. It fires the O relay which stops the score reel. As soon as I adjusted that switch, everything worked!"

I hope this P switch adjustment is the eventual solution once I can put the main board on top of the cabinet, but whatever it takes, it'll be worth it to have a fully working EM!

#21 5 years ago

When you reset the machine and removed the ball from the ball shooter, do the flippers work and do the playfield features work and score?

The example you found at rec.games.pinball is for a traditional pinball machine where the ball is kicked over on a metal trough to the shooter lane, so your machine does not have a trough switch.

Yes, if the P switch is misadjusted, it would cause the ball count to advance repeatedly during the reset of the game. You would want to take a close look at the P switch with the two orange/blue wires. Switches P, DB2 and score motor switch 4C sends power to the add ball count unit solenoid. So, also closely look at switches DB2 and 4C...

#22 5 years ago

Man, I forgot to check the flippers and playfield!

Okay, just checked them.

After reset, I take the ball out of the trough.
Ball 1 goes to ball 2 and stops.
The flippers work.
Everything on the playfield works.
The score reels work.

That rec.games.pinball thread was actually about a Playball machine.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.games.pinball/playball%7Csort:date/rec.games.pinball/ZOjHI9Us7_Y/xJPcjvcPAQAJ

It looks like the P switch is the culprit here, but of course I'll check DB2 and 4C.
I need to have a better look at that P switch for starters.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
I'll probably put my phone in the cabinet to record some video just to see if I can get a better look at what's happening.

UPDATE:
The machine just freaked out !!!
I put the ball in play and all three bumpers started firing and the score reels started turning at will.

This is the first time it's happened.
It was out of control...I have no idea what just happened.

#23 5 years ago

I'm not sure of the technical name for the notch in playfield apron - ball shooter, trough, pocket, hole???

Looking at the portion of the schematic that has the Q, P, O relays and ball count unit, it seems that if power was always at the ball return switch, and the ball closed the ball return switch, power would always be sent to the Q relay coil, which would close a switch that would send power to the P relay coil. P switch would close and then score motor switch 4C would pulse power through the P switch and the power would go to the add ball count unit solenoid. Switch DB2 sends power to all these switches. But, all of this needs to happen in order for the right flipper switch to shoot the ball into the playfield.

I just watched a video of #playball and when the ball drains after ball one and closes the ball return switch, the ball count goes to ball 2 and everything stops until the ball is shot into the playfield again. So, when the ball closes the ball return switch and it's sitting in the ball shooter pocket, there has to be a switch that will open that prevents the add ball count unit solenoid from getting power. And one of those switches would either be DB2 or score motor switch 4C. Could there be a short in one of these switches?

I don't know why the pop bumpers started firing and the score reels started randomly turning. I would still keep trying to troubleshoot this ball count issue first...

#24 5 years ago

there has to be a switch that will open that prevents the add ball count unit solenoid from getting power. And one of those switches would either be DB2 or score motor switch 4C. Could there be a short in one of these switches?

I'll take a look later today when I get home from work.

The pop bumper and score reel freak out really came out of nowhere.

I looked at the schematic.
The G relay is controls the 100 (center) bumper and is located directly underneath the playfield.
The J relay controls both (left, right) 10s bumper, but I don't see the relay.
I'm looking for a relay with the plastic tab where the blades sit, can it be just a switch that I should be looking for?

I'll check the playfield if any 10s or 100s score items are stuck as well as the G (and if I can find it) J relay.

Also, silly thought, near the relay control bank, there used to be a tilt switch that was removed and the wires tied together.
I guess that's not a problem, but I thought I'd just put it out there just in case.

#25 5 years ago

The tilt switch you're talking about was probably a slam tilt switch and it wouldn't affect the ball count unit during game play...

For switches DB2 and 4C, I would start a game and remove the ball from the ball shooter. Then look to see if either switch DB2 or 4C are closed. Looking at the schematic again, it would make sense that DB2 is closed in order to supply power to the circuit in preparation for the ball to close the ball return switch. If switch 4C is open, then there wouldn't be a path for power to reach the add ball count unit. You can use a multimeter on the AC volt setting to determine if there is a short in the switch. Test the switch lugs and the switch stack screws for power...

When the ball lands in the ball shooter, the score motor briefly runs, which should close switch 4C in order for the add ball count unit to advance. Then 4C should open to prevent power from getting to the add ball count unit while the ball is sitting in the ball shooter.

#26 5 years ago

The bumper and scores reel freak out is a result of the "I" relay bugging out.
Funny, I don't see the "I" relay on the schematic.
The schematic legend on the left goes from "H" to "J."

I have to do an adjustment, it looks like the contacts are too close to each other.
If I hit the playfield, it'll freak out.
It seems like any vibration will make that happen.

When I try checking the DB2, the bumpers and scores will go crazy, so I'll have to adjust that relay first.
I don't want to rush things, especially when it comes to relay adjustment, but I will post results.

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 8.05.26 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-02-25 at 8.05.26 PM (resized).png
#27 5 years ago

I adjusted the “I” relay a bit, but it actually seems the upper right bumper switch was stuck.
I adjusted it and it seems to be working correctly.
The bumpers haven’t freaked out since.

My multimeter is not giving me good readings so I took some videos.

After a reset, I just touched the contacts in the ball trough to advance the ball.

I don’t see any movement in the DB2 switch.
I think the 4C switch is working correctly?

Can anyone confirm what is happening in both videos?

DB2 Video Link:

Score Motor 4C Video Link:

#28 5 years ago

From your videos, it looks like the operation is normal. Watching a game play video, the control panel (reset bank) does not change positions. In your videos I can't tell which switch is which, because it doesn't show the wire colors, but the DB2 switch should be in the closed position and the 4C switch would be open and then close/open when the score motor rotates, which would happen when the ball enters the ball shooter.

At this point there is evidence that there might be a short at switch 4C. Are any of the wires at the switch stack lugs touching? Use your multimeter to check the 4C switch stack. Check for power at the orange/blue wire and check if there is any power at the switch stack screws.

#29 5 years ago

Are any of the wires at the switch stack lugs touching?

I don't see any wires touching at 4C.
The only thing I noticed was some solder connecting two wires, but it's the same on my Roller Coaster pin, so no luck with that.

It's after 4am and I'm goin to turn in for the night.
I'll try to do some better videos later today and of course, I'll check everything you've requested.

Thank you so much for your help.

#30 5 years ago

After checking for shorts at switch 4C, you can do another check by blocking the switch. Use a piece of tape or thin cardboard, or business card, etc and put it between the switch contacts of switch 4C. Then you would start a game to see how the machine would react. This would prove our theory of operation and it would determine if there were additional issues with the circuit and the switch...

#31 5 years ago

I just blocked the 4C switch with a business card.

The startup was no different than before.
The score reels reset and I touched the contacts and the ball advanced to ball 1.

I tried blocking all the contacts on the 4 motor and it just kept spinning till I removed the top two cards (looking down on the motor)

#32 5 years ago

To confirm, the schematic image posted by MarkG in post #4 is the same as your Playball schematic?

Did you confirm there are no shorts at score motor switch 4C?

If there are no shorts at 4C, the only other way power could get to the add ball count unit would be through an O relay switch, but this switch would send constant power to the add ball count unit solenoid.

I would do an experiment and block the 4C switch (orange/blue wire and white/green wire) and the O relay switch (green/black wire and blue/white wire) and see if this would prevent power from getting to the add ball count unit solenoid. Block these two switches, start a game and see how the machine reacts...

#33 5 years ago

Yes, that is the same Playball schematic.
Mark just omitted the left and right flipper circuit.

With regard to finding any shorts.
I just did a visual inspection and didn't see any wires touching.
Do I have to check it with a multimeter and what setting would that be?

We're off today and tomorrow and are going out for the day.

I will try to block the 4C and O relay switch later tonight and report back.

Do you need any video of either the DB2 showing wires or the 4C showing wires or anything else?

#34 5 years ago

You can set your multimeter to the AC volt setting above 25 volts. Usually, you'll set the meter to 200 AC volts. Check the switch stack wire lugs at switch 4C and switch O. Test each wire lug on the switch stack for voltage. And check the switch stack screws for voltage.. It would be helpful to have a photo of the wires that are connected to the switch stack lugs to confirm they're the correct switches...

#35 5 years ago

I checked the lugs and screws on the 4C switch.
I set the multimeter to AC @200.

Every reading I took went from 0.2 - 9.4 except the screws where I didn't get any readings.

I put the red and black cables side to side and varied the lugs.
I got several different readings on every lug.

I also tested the O relay and got readings on the meter.

I thought you asked me to put test the 4C and O relay at the same time.
One cable on 4C and one cable on the O relay.

I tried that and got a reading as well.

It seems everything except the screws are getting a reading, just at different levels.

4C Switch Wires (resized).jpg4C Switch Wires (resized).jpg4C Switch Wires 1 (resized).jpg4C Switch Wires 1 (resized).jpg
#36 5 years ago

Try to block switch 4C and switch O. Then start a game with the ball in the ball shooter and see what happens. The add ball count unit should not advance if these two switches are blocked... During the reset process, can you see if O relay switch (green/black wire and blue/white wire) is open or closed?

#37 5 years ago

I blocked the contacts on 4C and the O relay.
The score motor just kept running.

I removed the blockage from the O relay and the score motor kept running.

I removed the top two blockages from the 4C and the balls in play cycled till I took the ball out of the trough.

I forgot to see if the O relay had any movement.
If you'd like I can try to block everything again and check if the O relay does anything.

QUICK UPDATE:

I tried to see if any power is getting to the O relay based on an old thread I saw on Pinside.
I put an alligator clip on a bounce (tilt) switch and touched the yellow O relay lug.
I did see a spark although it did not move.

If I manually activate the P relay and engage the O relay the plunger will shoot out.

In this game the right flipper activates the plunger.
Is that the problem, something along the route of the right flipper?

With the playfield up and hitting the flipper button, it seems the right flipper is a little weak especially when it goes back to its original position.

#38 5 years ago

To confirm, with switch 4C blocked, the add ball count unit does not advance, but the score motor keeps running... This would indicate that switch 4C is working properly.

There's still some switch staying closed that is allowing power to get to the add ball count unit solenoid during the reset process. We'll need to look at the O switch again. Check the O switch with the maroon/yellow wire and slate/white wire. Check the adjustment of the switch by manually pushing in the relay. Look at the switch stack lugs for shorting wires. This switch should go from normally closed (NC) to open. When the machine is reset, is the O relay energized?

If the O relay is not working, check the P relay switch with the orange/black wire and orange/blue wire. Also, check the ohms rating on the O relay coil. It should be 2.0 ohms or greater. You can use a 9-volt battery to test the coil. Put the leads of the battery to the lugs on the coil to see if the coil will energize.

You've probably done some of these test with @markg before, but we're checking to see if anything has changed...

#39 5 years ago

Yes, with 4C blocked, the score motor continues to run.

With the O relay, should all the contacts be closed and only opened when energized?
It looks like some contacts especially in the back are doing the opposite.

I don't see any wires shorting.

#40 5 years ago

Yes, some switches on the O relay will be normally closed (NC) and normally open (NO). From your video, the switches look correct...

Now test the O relay coil. You can check the ohms of the coil with a multimeter or you can use a 9-volt battery on the coil lugs. Or use a jumper wire from the transformer fuse block (switch side) and touch the other side of the jumper wire to the coil lug with the green/black wire. We need to confirm that the O relay coil is working properly...

#41 5 years ago

I just tested the coil with my mulitmeter set to ohms @ 20.

Testing the other coils I was getting a consistant number of 14.0
With the O relay I got 1, when I pressed on the plastic tab it jumped from 90.0 to over 100.

#42 5 years ago

I think the coil on the O relay is model number A-9735. The rated resistance on this coil is 14.9 ohms. If you're measuring 1.0 ohms at the coil, then the coil is malfunctioning, possibly shorted, and it needs to be replaced. If you don't have a replacement coil now, you can always swap out a coil from another part of the machine if you want to test the O relay. Or you can just order another coil and install it in a few days, and then test the machine again... Double check the model number of the O relay coil on your machine to make sure you order the correct coil...

#43 5 years ago

Looking at the O relay, the paper around the coil is missing but the coils next to it are indeed the A-9735.

Do I have to buy the entire coil (soldering involved) or can I just buy the coil sleeve?

Marcos has a compatible coil...just looked and...it's out of stock.
I'm considering replacing the coil sleeve from another part of the machine to test it.

#44 5 years ago

There might be a type of sleeve in a coil, but they're non-serviceable. When you say "sleeve" that usually means a plunger sleeve that slides into a solenoid. Anyway, a sleeve would not solve the problem with a shorted coil or solenoid. In this case, the coil would need to be replaced. They're easy to replace - loosen a screw, remove two wires (soldering iron), remove the old coil, install the new coil, solder wires, tighten screw...

The Pinball Resource has the coil for US$10. Sometimes you can find used coils on Ebay...

http://www.pbresource.com/coilgtb.html

#45 5 years ago

Yep, I thought I was using the wrong terminology.
I just checked PBR and I'll place an order.

Turning in for the night.

1 week later
#46 5 years ago

UPDATE:

I received my package from PBR today which included the A-9735 coil.
I’m happy to report after replacing the original “O” fried coil which included burnt label paper dislodged when I removed it Playball is working.

The ball shoots out when I hit the right flipper button.
A slight problem is an adjustment needed on the shooter as it occasionally hits the left flipper button.

Also, once in a blue moon (earlier today) the 10s reel gets stuck or constantly spins as the 10s bumpers machine gun during the game.
I probably have to adjust the right bumper gap that I adjusted the other week.
I’m thinking maybe the infamous decagon reel needs to be cleaned as well.

Aside from that everything seems to be good for the moment.

What a pleasure to actually play a complete game.

I plan on cleaning and waxing the playfield and replacing the rubbers.
I’m trying to track down the playfield plastic for my broken right slingshot that only has the lower half.

I what to thank Fredsmythson and MarkG for their invaluable help.
It’s great how well they describe a schematic.
I wish they would do a plain english thread on how to read a Gottlieb schematic and how to follow the path of a circuit.

Thank you both again for all your help.

#47 5 years ago

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear everything is working again... Enjoy the machine!

#48 5 years ago

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear everything is working again... Enjoy the machine!

Thank you Fred. Very happy to fix that problem.

Now I'm trying to resolve some little problems...the right vari-target does not reset after the ball hits.
It'll go about half way up and all is good, if it goes to the "triple" it'll just stay there and buzz.

Looking at Todd's video, it looks there's no tension on the spring to snap back the arm.
Even with the playfield down at "triple" if I release the coil plate it'll just stay there.
The left vari-target works perfect even though it doesn't snap back either...odd.

Apparently, there's a "C" clip that has to be removed, but I'd rather just ask if anyone has added tension to that spring
and what's the best way to go about it.

I don't think it's a standard phillips screw.

Vari-Target Spring (resized).jpgVari-Target Spring (resized).jpg
#49 5 years ago

Before adding tension to the spring (which will make the target harder to push back during the game) check for sources of friction. Do the wipers and contact board need to be cleaned? Does the target rub against either side of the slot through the playfield? Etc...

#50 5 years ago

Hey Mark,

I cleaned and polished the rivets and put a bit of superlube on it.
I just looked for friction spots.
There's some screws I think I could loosen that has the arm attached to that piece with the teeth the coil plate is attached to.

I'm just not sure which screw(s) to loosen.

And to only add to my fun, the pin bugged out with the 10s reel.
The ball count went from 1 - 5 and added 10 points each time before it hit game over.

This was my initial problem, but I changed the coil and everything was working fine.
I'm gonna check with a multimeter tomorrow to make sure it's still working.

Could some 10 point target be stuck on the playfield?

You think you get ahead in fixing a pin and BAM, a smack across the face with another problem.

I'm not touching the pin till tomorrow.

Good hearing from you again...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-playball-instant-game-over-also-ball-won-t-eject and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.