You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thumbnail_IMG_1211 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1210 (resized).jpg
PlayBall circuit 3 (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

Gottlieb Play Ball Machine has worked great for years until now. But now on start-up, ball counter cycles all the way through ball 5, then it's game over. If I remove the ball, it stops cycling. Help! I've had machines for years, but definitely a novice here.

#2 1 year ago

I wonder if this red switch on the O relay is staying closed when it should open. If I understand this circuit correctly, the Ball Return switch should energize the Q relay. A switch on the Q relay (which is now closed) in series with the red normally-closed O switch and the Motor 1C switch (the red circuit) would turn on the P relay. The P relay turns on the score motor for a cycle, which increases the ball count by 1. A switch on the P relay also energizes the O relay when the Motor 4C switch closes - opening the n/c O switch in the red part of the circuit. With that O switch open, the P relay should de-energize when a Motor 2B switch in its lock-in circuit (in green) opens (at the end of the motor cycle)...unless that red O switch is staying closed, in which case the P relay would stay energized and keep the score motor turning, and the ball count increasing.

When you remove the ball, you open the Ball Return switch, which turns off the Q relay, which then shuts down the P relay, which shuts down the score motor.

Is the P relay staying energized the entire time this ball count increase is happening? Is the O relay energizing at all?
PlayBall circuit 3 (resized).JPGPlayBall circuit 3 (resized).JPG

#3 1 year ago

Thanks for the info! Although I'm having trouble figuring out which contacts are which, I did notice that the O Ball Return Relay isn't doing anything at all. And compared to the other solenoid coils, this one (see photo) looks a little "toasty" to my unskilled eyes. You think I might just need a new solenoid coil?

thumbnail_IMG_1210 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_1210 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_1211 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_1211 (resized).jpg
#4 1 year ago

Yeah, that O coil looks pretty dark. I'd unsolder one of the 2 leads and measure the resistance with an ohm meter. I'm guessing your coil will read open. You can get those coils from The Pinball Resource - that coil is an A-9735.

Once you get it in there, you'll have to watch it to see if it locks on - it burned up for a reason.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-playball-ball-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.