• Latest reply 6 years ago by MikeO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Big-Brave-Work-12 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

My game was working perfectly, now no replays or knocker given on set scores. On Specials or matching numbers both work. I did fiddle with score pegs, tried general trouble shooting but can't figure it out. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

#2 6 years ago

I know there are various score motor switches that send power the the knocker coil and the replay unit advance coil. Do you have the schematic for the machine? There is also a make break switch that sends power to both of these coils. It might be the W relay, but not sure. If you have the schematic, you can start at one of those coils and work your way back to see what switches send power through these circuits...

#3 6 years ago

I own this machine so I might be able to help.

Now I don't fully understand the schematics here but I can see a couple switches that might be worth looking at. Considering specials and number matching both work, we can rule out the add replay relay.

First checks and ohm out all the contacts on the L relay (1000 point relay). The contact used in this circuit is also used for the chime so if the 1000 chime is working, it shouldn't be it.

While doubtful cause the other replays work, try ohming out the switches on the W relay. It also plays a role in getting power to both the knocker and add replay unit.

I'd also try cleaning the plugs that set the replay value. Using 600 grit sandpaper or just a thick bristle brush clean the plugs. If you have any pipe cleaners, you can use those to clean the female plugs. I just put a bit of 99 isopropyl alcohol on them and give em a quick scrub.

Next you're gonna wanna check the make/break switches of P1A and P1B. These are switches on the stacks located behind the ball count unit. If you're not familiar, watch havepin's useful video on identifying them.

If that doesn't work, I'd have a look at the actual drums of the thousands and 10 thousands score reel. There's a circuit board on them, and it's possible the contact in the reel that tells that machine what number it's at is dirty. That would also cause set score replays to not work.

Those are my best guesses, hope any of that helps. Have you tired the number match with both players? If it's only happening to one player that helps narrow down the problem.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips, I'll work my way through them this weekend and report back.

#5 6 years ago

Hi Ceegary +
I am not familiar with TWO-Player-Pins - I happen to have an "Big Brave" schematics. To support the discussion I show the interesting place in "Big Brave". Greetings Rolf

0Big-Brave-Work-12 (resized).jpg0Big-Brave-Work-12 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

Check the wiring to the score reel circuit boards for the 10,000 and the 1,000 score reels. 90% of the time it is a wire that has broken off or the solder joint to one is cold. Tug on each wire there.

#7 6 years ago

And the problem was..... broken wire on circuit of the 10,000 reel. Quick solder and good to go. Thanks Mike and all of you for the suggestions. (Yes I did try that first because it was the easiest to trouble-shoot).

BTW, Spirit of '76 (4-player) was one of my favorite games growing up, and I found this Pioneer locally from a private party with a receipt of purchase in 1980, so it was on location for only 4 years, very light for an EM.

#8 6 years ago

Hey, Gary. How are you doing? I didn't notice it was you until just now.

Glad we got your game back 100%.

That's got to be a nice example taken off route so soon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-pioneer-replay-on-scoring-not-working?hl=kingofkoopas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.