• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider halflip87.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hi all,

I just bought my first pin, a Gottlieb New York (1975), and I'm having an issue with the extra ball award. Every game function works properly except for this one.

When all rollovers are completed, 'extra ball' is lit one out of every three hits of the star rollovers. The game should only award the EB when lit and the ball is in the middle saucer. However, my game is awarding the extra ball whether the EB light is lit or not, but only on one portion of the sequence.

1) Extra Ball Lit - EB Awarded
2) Extra Ball Unlit - EB Not Awarded
3) Extra Ball Unlit - EB Awarded

From what I know, the award sequence is Extra Ball -> Double Bonus -> Special. My game is awarding the Extra Ball when "Special" should be lit (given all targets and rollovers are complete). The game is currently set to award extra balls when special is lit. Is it possible that the game thinks "Special" is lit and awarding the extra ball?

UPDATE: I switched the Jones plug to award a free game instead of extra ball when Special is lit. Even with this changed, the same problem still occurs, and the special function works properly.

I don't have a schematic yet, so any insight or help on how to begin troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Doug

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Since 'New York' is the AAB version of Pioneer/So76, and 'Special' on New York awards an extra ball instead of a replay, this seems like a plausible cause.
Does Special light when the A-E rollovers and the drop targets are made?

Yes, the Special lights and awards properly when rollovers and drop targets are completed.

#4 8 years ago

After investigating further, I think the Special function has nothing to do with the problem. I set the game to give a Replay instead of Extra Ball when awarding the Special, and even so the problem remains the same.

I just received the schematics and noticed that the "Same Player Shoots Again" light is wired to the "I" relay which controls two switches. From there, the schematic just has some crazy motor diagram and chart which I don't understand.

Anybody else have any insight on this?

P.S. Should the flippers still work after the game is over?

Thanks for your help,
-Doug

3 months later
#6 8 years ago

Bump.

Still trying to figure this out but haven't gotten anywhere. Has anybody else had a similar problem?

#8 8 years ago

Here's a pic of the New York schematic. From my eyes, the 3E switch is open as it should be on the rotation where the false extra ball is awarded. I've also put up a YouTube video demonstrating the issue.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#10 8 years ago

Yea, unfortunately the iPad camera couldn't get a good enough picture of it, but I can assure you that it is open. I think the Extra Ball lights as the ball is being kicked out because the Extra Ball light is next in the sequence for the kickout hole. (Double Bonus Lit -> Special Lit -> Extra Ball Lit). So, it is awarding the Extra Ball one step before it should be. When Special is lit, the feature works properly.

I'll get a different pic of the schematic tonight.

Thanks for all your help,
-Doug

#11 8 years ago

So the logic appears to work as you described, DirtFlipper. I'll have to recheck 3E, the switches and relays you mention.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#12 8 years ago

So even though the 3E switch looked open, it must have been closed. I adjusted it, and problem solved! Thank you everybody for your help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider halflip87.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-pioneer-new-york-spirit-of-76-extra-ball-issue?tu=halflip87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.