(Topic ID: 90771)

Gottlieb Pin Up won't decrease ball count (add-a-ball)

By dbeeson

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dbeeson
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I just bought this game as a project. I've got it mostly working now, thanks to Clay's guide and Pinside.

My last problem is that the game won't decrease the ball count...usually.

The ball count stepper unit works fine, was cleaned and lubed with a little Teflon. When the game has not been started yet I can hit the trough switch and the ball count will decrease just fine. Once the game is started though, it will *sometimes* advance, but usually get stuck on one of the balls, or never decrease. It sometimes also decreases as soon as the first ball kicks out. I noticed that when the relay "V" in the backbox is engaged, the trough switch doesn't work. If I engage the 10,100,1000 point relays that is what makes relay "V" engage and stay engaged. If I had a schematic, I would have likely solved it by now
I do not have a schematic, so if anyone has a copy out there please let me know, or if you have any ideas. I've looked at all of the relays and all appear fine, but obviously I've missed something. Thanks in advance.

#2 9 years ago

Yes, you definitely need a schematic so you can see what in the circuit that could be holding 'V' in.

#3 9 years ago

Yup, I don't even know what the V relay is, but I do know that there is a switch on that relay that breaks the connection from the trough switch to the decreasing coil of the ball count unit. Every time any digit reaches 9, that V relay denergizes and the trough switch will work.

#4 9 years ago

Might try checking the 'V' relay and make sure all the switches are opening and closing properly. I'm not sure about this one, but some relays have a make/break switch that 'holds' the relay in its own circuit. This is where the schems come in real handy.

#5 9 years ago

Ok thanks Wolf.

3 weeks later
#6 9 years ago

Order a schematic from Pinball Resource and be done with it!!

1 week later
#7 9 years ago

Someone graciously sent me a scan.

Problem solved. ALL of the zero switches on the reels remained closed when they moved into the next position (1-8) therefore never communicating to the relay that the game had begun scoring. Not having much knowledge in EMs, I only checked the score reels' relatively of the switches from reel to reel. Prying open a zero switch and watching the trough switch relay de-energize was very relieving.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-pin-up-wont-decrease-ball-count-add-a-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.