Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by erak
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

So I'm heading up this evening to pick up a GTB Ice Revue (EM, 1965). I've personally never even lifted a PF on a GTB of that era and believe that there are lock downs for the PF underneath it, through the coin door. Anyone know for certian? If they are there, where do you for them? I've tried to find some pics/schematics of a GTB from around that year for a point of reference, but have had no luck yet.

Also, if I can't get the PF lifted at the guys house, will that prevent me from taking the back box off? I have no idea how they are wired. I ask because I've read a few comments from people about PF locks welding/rusting shut, and the PF on this game probably hasn't been lifted in 35-40 years.

#2 13 years ago

Open the coin door and look up inside above the door opening, there is a metal tab in the middle, pull down and the lockdown bar pulls off and then you can slide out the glass. If the tab doesn't budge you might have to pry it with a screwdriver from the right hand side.
To lift the playfield you might also have to pull out the plunger a bit to clear the shooter lane.

You don't have to lift the playfield to get the backbox off, but you might have to once you get it home to retrieve the plugs that go to the backbox. Hopefully he has the backbox key, or you will have to get out the drill. Just unbolt the backbox and lift it off, after unplugging it of course.
Make sure you label the plugs or color code them to make it easier for yourself.

Best of luck.

#3 13 years ago

Old gottlieb's have a different playfield lifting mechanism. You have to reach in and pull the long bar along the bottom about 1 foot inside the game all the way back and then the playfield will lift up. It is actually a pain in the ass compared to how most pins do it.

#4 13 years ago

the jones style connectors in the back box should only go together one way
like 8 male to 8 female , 10m - 10f etc etc about 4 in all.
you can always check the wire color code of the pin/socket pair just to be sure in reassembly .

When you take to 4 bolts out off the Backbox when dividing the two sections keep at least one bolt in till your ready to lift off, back box or sometimes called lightbox or 'head' can be weight foward toward the back glass - last thing you want to do is pay for a pin take your hand off it and CRASH !!! also make sure the lever that holds the score reel panel against the back glass is secure .

When going up/down a flight of stairs with a hand cart I like to open the coin door and with one hand grasp the wood frame for more control with the other on the cart.
Try not to rush and bounce the cabinet many pins that worked before and now in a new home wont start can be attributed to rough handling in transport.

last thing is you want to keep an eye on is temperature, the back glass is silkscreened ink
expansion & contraction like bringing it from a warm house to a cold garage right away can cause spider webbing .

#5 13 years ago

Oops my bad, I thought Gottliebs were the same from the 60's to late 70's. At least someone else got it right.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 8.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 9.99
Lighting - Other
Pinlights
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-pfs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.