Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ibis
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Paul Bunyan Sequence Bank reset (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Ive searched the EM threads and found some ABC issue posts but not much associated with my issue.

Interesting issue, when any A-B or C target, A-B or C rollover switches are closed, the sequence reset coil fires and resets the bank. Essentially it's automatically resetting on every A,B or C switch on the playfield. Now if I manually activated each switch stack on the actual sequence bank, it doesn't reset the bank. It only rests if one of the playfield switches is activated. I do have a schematic. Ive inspected the sequence bank and can not identify anything particularly wrong so Im thinking it could be somewhere else? If I need to post a pic of the schematic I can. Looking forward to getting this game up and running, never played it and its looks like a great game! Thanks for your help in advance!

#2 1 year ago

Does the Sequence Bank reset any time the Score Motor runs? If you nudge the Score Motor forward to get it running for example, does the Sequence Bank reset? If so, the D4 Armature switch in the red box may be stuck closed or shorted.
    Paul Bunyan Sequence Bank reset (resized).jpgPaul Bunyan Sequence Bank reset (resized).jpg
    /Mark

#3 1 year ago

Mark, I do believe it does reset when I manually nudge it forward. I will inspect D4 tonight when I get back home.

#4 1 year ago

Mark,

The D4 switch on the sequence bank is simply one switch. I verified the switch is gapped and put my probe on it when it was open and I am not getting a grounded signal. I assume the coil is OK and cooked but I did not ohm it out to see.

The reset bar has its own switch and I verified when that is open, it is not grounded. When the reset bar is in a 'waiting' state, the contacts are closed. I do wonder if this switch may be touching D4 somewhere underneath. It is long and curled up at the end of it.

Also, I did verify that when the score motor is nudged, the reset bar on the sequence bank does reset.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

I did verify that when the score motor is nudged, the reset bar on the sequence bank does reset.

That implies that when the Score Motor 4C switch closes there is a direct connection somehow between the white-orange-black wire on the Score Motor switch and the solder lug of the Sequence Bank Reset solenoid not connected to the white wire.

I don't know how you're using your meter to take measurements but beware that this circuit is running at 120 volts so I'd unplug the game before poking around.

#6 1 year ago

So it's possible that there is a connection between the score motor 4C switch and the reset bank? It appears on the diagram that the only way that happens is when the D4 armature is closed correct?

#7 1 year ago

The observations you describe indicate that there is a connection between the 4C switch and the reset bank coil. That's why the bank resets any time the motor runs. If it were working properly it would only reset when the motor runs and the D4 Armature switch was closed. The connection may go through the D4 switch or its solder tabs, a frayed wire, solder blob, etc.

#8 1 year ago

Mark,

Going on the thought that there is a short calling for the D4 armature to activate when the score motor turns, based on the schematic, I did the following......

- Disconnected wh-yel-br from the 1/2 amp slow blow fuse to the 4C switch on the score motor
    - Disconnected the wh-or-blk form the other side of the 4C switch on the score motor to the D4 armature switch

I connected a jumper from the fuse to the score motor switch and another jumper from the other side of the switch to the D4 armature switch to remove any potential wire shorts. This did not work, the score motor still activates the armature.

#9 1 year ago

When I owned it I had the same issue. Unfortunately could never figure out what the problem was when I sold it. Goodluck.

#10 1 year ago

I don't think I understand. It sounds like you removed two wires from the circuit and replaced them with jumpers and got the same result. I guess that just proves that the two wires aren't the problem.

I think you need to investigate the two wires tied to the D4 Armature switch. Somehow they seem to be connected. Keep the game unplugged while you investigate though.

#11 1 year ago

Correct, the thought was there was a wire(s) that were shorting each other within the loom, possibly. I wanted to eliminate that section of wire leading up to the series of switches.

The armature switch is tied to the wh-or-blk wire and then it goes to the coil on the rest bank. I can take a pic in the morning. Theres not much to that side of the circuit, hence why I'm pulling out my hair. Im sure its something simple and I just cant see it.

FYI, when I probe the 4C motor switch in the open position, it reads as if its closed. Not sure why, it's a simple switch with no obvious ground to the naked eye. Unless theres something under the switch in the stack thats making the connection.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

FYI, when I probe the 4C motor switch in the open position, it reads as if its closed.

Beware that if the D4 Armature switch (or the SB Armature switch) in the schematic above is closed or shorted, a meter across the Motor 4C switch will probably show "continuity" even if the switch is open. That's because the meter sees the path the "long way around" through the reset solenoid and transformer winding that looks like a closed circuit. That's why measuring continuity can be deceiving. If you're going to use a meter measure resistance instead.

#13 1 year ago

Ok that make sense. So in your mind you think the gremlin is still around the armature switch.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-paul-bunyan-abc-reset-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.