(Topic ID: 167867)

Gottlieb Paradise back to life - and price thoughts?

By 4Max

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by aahgo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3591 (resized).JPG
IMG_3564 (resized).JPG
IMG_3339 (resized).JPG
IMG_3567 (resized).JPG
IMG_3562 (resized).JPG
IMG_2979 (resized).JPG
IMG_3575 (resized).JPG
ImageProxy.mvc (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Hi all,

Thought I'd share a couple of before & after pictures. 'Er in doors said I can only work on pins in winter, but the last couple of weekends were too hot to go out, so I got a pass (correct, I do not wear the trousers).

So here are the photo from the original Craigslist - cab painted red/brown. Tried to remove top layer of paint but I had to strip it all the way back and repaint. Made stencils from the vague patterns left on the wood!
ImageProxy.mvc (resized).jpg

Here it is now
IMG_3575 (resized).JPG
Lock down bar is not correct I believe - as I stole the one that came with it and swapped it for the one on my Kings and Queens.

Legs came out lovely after a week in the Evaporust torpedo tube https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-with-evaporust#post-3064499

Special thanks to Pinside member Aahgo who sent me an armature for the dancing girl in the back box
IMG_3562 (resized).JPG

Loved that it came with all the original docs, envelope and even some weird license sticker:
IMG_2979 (resized).JPG

I had to make a "1 play 10c" sticker to cover an old one that would not come off without damaging the apron, before and after:
IMG_3339 (resized).JPG
IMG_3567 (resized).JPG
(sorry I cannot rotate this pic, pinside sometimes just blanks out the photo where you normally rotate/add/del)
The playfield was filthy but not too worn, I used alcohol, Krud Kutter, Novus 2 and Johnsons wax)
IMG_3564 (resized).JPG

All in all I think this is a beautiful machine, coupled with fun game play. Plus who doesn't love the sound of those bells (to quote Quasimodo)

cheers!

#2 2 years ago

Awesome.

#3 2 years ago

Thanks!

Also, while I plan to keep this machine for a while, I would be interested in the collective Pinsider's thoughts on what is a decent asking price.

#4 2 years ago

Nice job on the cabinet!

It's a very colorful game and a nice open playfield which makes for a good lone-standing pin in the non-collectors finished basement. Not a lot to navigate around. Also enjoy the kick-to-the-next hole feature and it's ever changing spin-roto values, resulting in that wide open playfield as the spin feature takes up so much room underneath, (no room for other obstacles). Even the slings were stretched apart to compensate.

It's too much dead-ball rolling around the bottom half of the field for me, but it's colorful, and a good one for the friendly wagering novices during a weekend beer fest.

As far as price.........Its a $500-$800 game plug and play on the east coast, but if the playfield and backglass matches your cabinet job, you'll do better, the game is a looker!

#5 2 years ago

Plus how many games have a dancing hula girl in the backbox? What do you have to hit to get her going?

#6 2 years ago

So, how's she dance? Were you able to get the springs adjusted okay?

Good job on cleaning up the playfield. Cabinet looks good, maybe a tad heavy on the webbing. I think you'll enjoy playing this great game!

#7 2 years ago

Paradise is a great game. When the four kickout holes are properly adjusted to throw the ball to the next hole, it's a real treat!

#8 2 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Plus how many games have a dancing hula girl in the backbox? What do you have to hit to get her going?

Any score - so she's always moving!

Quoted from aahgo:

Good job on cleaning up the playfield. Cabinet looks good, maybe a tad heavy on the webbing. I think you'll enjoy playing this great game!

OK (thanks to you, sir!) but I think it could be better - I'll take a video and post here. Plus a picture of the springs...i stretched a couple of old flipper springs, so would be interested if your girls moves with more vigour

Agreed on the webbing, but I felt better when I looked at the one on IPDB which also looks like this one had heavier webbing than say my Kings and Queens. I actually thought if I attempt another webbing (I use the Montana spider webbing spray) I may gave it a light coat of the base (heirloom white) over the webbing, which may push the webbing into the background a little - I wonder if anyone as tried that.

Quoted from KenLayton:

four kickout holes are properly adjusted

Although the holes have wear, they do indeed kick perfectly across. That wear and the bit you see by the left flipper was really the only two bad bits on the field.

#9 2 years ago

Great-looking game! Nice job.

#10 2 years ago

Looks fantastic. Never played Paradise but seems fun. I'm a big fan of the sequential kick out holes.

#11 2 years ago

Fun game. A local pinhead had one growing up and he still has it. Projection roto similar to Dodge City which I had and sold.

I love the horizontal outhole relay! That's why I have a Kings and Queens and Sing Along!

#12 2 years ago

I think it's closer to 1000$ game but the kickout wear normally drops its value this one cleaned up very nice. I have the AAB version called Pleasure Isle which features beach balls that light up with each extra ball. I also have Melody and I'm pursuing a Kings & Queens . I absolutely enjoy the 4 kickout hole configuration. This game features metal jewel posts and Roy Parker art with Ed Krynski Design, which in my book is the class of all the Gottlieb Games. It's also the first 2P with return lanes .

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from 4Max:

Aahgo/other owners of similar...does this look ok?

And a pic of the mechanism - armature fabricated thanks to piece and instructions from Aahgo

IMG_3591 (resized).JPG

#14 2 years ago

Hey, that girl is dancing just fine! You might get a bit more action with some fiddling, but not much. I think you did a good job.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 399.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside