(Topic ID: 317560)

Gottlieb Panthera MPU resetting

By dmartin244

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

This problem has been a tough one to resolve. Here's what is happening:

Game boots fine just as it should. Coin it up and Start a game. Drop target banks start to reset as they should and then the MPU almost immediately resets before you can play a game.

Here's what I've done and/or checked:

1. Power supply is solid 5.2 volts. The PS connector has been repinned and header pins reflowed.
    2. CPU to Driver board interconnect has been repinned
    3. Checked resistance on all coils and they seem to be correct.
    4. New cap in bottom transformer panel
    5. New bridge rec installed for solenoids
    6. Replace diodes on drop target bank coils
    7. Power supply, driver board and cpu ground mods done

Not sure where to look next. Put game in test mode to test solenoids and after at least one or two coils pulse the CPU reboots. Usually right after the second drop target coil pulses.

Anyone got any ideas?!?!

Dave

#2 1 year ago

Did you do the ground mod for all the boards? Got another driver board or MPU you can try? Could also try unsoldering the coils in question then running the game.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Did you do the ground mod for all the boards? Got another driver board or MPU you can try? Could also try unsoldering the coils in question then running the game.

Thanks for the ideas. I have disconnected some of the suspect coils and there is no change. I do not have another driver board to swap and try. Additionally, the ground mods have been done to the boards.

Thanks

Dave

#4 1 year ago

I know alot of folks swear by the ground mods, but I haven't needed to do them. On the large molex interconnect harness that connects the driver to the MPU, to the far end, there is a single ground wire and a single 5v wire. They should be doubled up, so that ground and 5v gets to both sides of the edge connector. Has yours been updated? It was a service bulletin years ago from Gottlieb.

#5 1 year ago

Sounds like a short or something is heating up and then fails at that point, check all under load

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from dmartin244:

Anyone got any ideas?!?!

Is the 'reset board' on top of MPU still connected?
    If yes, you can safely disconnect it and see if it helps.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from bontango:

Is the 'reset board' on top of MPU still connected?
    If yes, you can safely disconnect it and see if it helps.

Did games pre-80B have reset boards?

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I know alot of folks swear by the ground mods, but I haven't needed to do them. On the large molex interconnect harness that connects the driver to the MPU, to the far end, there is a single ground wire and a single 5v wire. They should be doubled up, so that ground and 5v gets to both sides of the edge connector. Has yours been updated? It was a service bulletin years ago from Gottlieb.

I don't believe i doubled them up. Will look into this one and get it done if i didnt already do it. Thanks

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-panthera-mpu-resetting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.