Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dgAmpGuy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gottlieb_fanatic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from paulace:

Lately, our 1975 Gottlieb Fast Draw at our local arcade (Decades Arcade) was having trouble kicking out the ball consistently. Got in there today, and the ball was being shot more in an upward direction than an outward direction, bouncing off the underside of the apron and not making it over the ramp "hump". I was explaining how the 2-part, spring-loaded mechanism worked to the manager and she asked if I wanted her to take a slow-motion video of it. I thought that would be cool. Watching it in real time, I couldn't see the spring that connects the 2 metal plates stretching and compressing again - it happens so fast, but in slow motion, it's surprising how far those 2 metal plates move against each other - the weight of the ball slowing one metal plate, the solenoid pulling in the other metal plate, and the amount of time it takes for the one to catch up with the other was surprising.

Just thought it was cool to see it working.
    By the way, I shortened the spring a little, to make it tighter and got rid of some slop in the way the 2 plates were connected, making the linkage a little more efficient, and that did the trick.

Quoted from paulace:

Lately, our 1975 Gottlieb Fast Draw at our local arcade (Decades Arcade) was having trouble kicking out the ball consistently. Got in there today, and the ball was being shot more in an upward direction than an outward direction, bouncing off the underside of the apron and not making it over the ramp "hump". I was explaining how the 2-part, spring-loaded mechanism worked to the manager and she asked if I wanted her to take a slow-motion video of it. I thought that would be cool. Watching it in real time, I couldn't see the spring that connects the 2 metal plates stretching and compressing again - it happens so fast, but in slow motion, it's surprising how far those 2 metal plates move against each other - the weight of the ball slowing one metal plate, the solenoid pulling in the other metal plate, and the amount of time it takes for the one to catch up with the other was surprising.

Just thought it was cool to see it working.
    By the way, I shortened the spring a little, to make it tighter and got rid of some slop in the way the 2 plates were connected, making the linkage a little more efficient, and that did the trick.

That's neat as hell!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gottlieb_fanatic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-outhole-ball-kicker-mech-in-slow-motion?tu=gottlieb_fanatic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.