Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015-07-16_22.23.37.jpg
2015-07-16_11.11.10.jpg
2015-07-16_11.03.48.jpg
2015-07-16_11.03.40.jpg
2015-07-16_11.03.29.jpg
2015-07-16_11.40.06.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BillPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hey All,

Working on my first EM! A 74 Gottlieb Out of Sight. Worked great till I cleaned it with the vacuum. Searched for obvious issues of a disconnected wire and such but being an EM rookie I am not sure where to look.

Once I hit the power switch, the score motor runs and runs and runs and will not stop.

To cross things off the list I have the playfield, back box, and coin door disconnected but the score motor keeps running each time I turn the game on.

I also noticed a knocking in the play meter but the numbers do not change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Bill

#3 8 years ago

I have the door and the backbox disconnected so not sure.

#7 8 years ago

Thanks so much for all the help everyone! I greatly appreciate it.

After a thorough look, I did indeed knock a switch together on the relay bank below the score motor.

However the saga continues as it no longer runs (YES!) but still does not work correctly again (BOO)

Two things that are still not working correctly.

1. Now and again the start button will not begin a game. I can lift up on the relay to get it going however.
2. When a ball drains it gets into a scoring loop that never ends. It is great to rack up a lot of points but it seems to be trapped in a loop.

#10 8 years ago

Thanks so much for the help every one. Rolf, my comment "However the saga continues as it no longer runs (YES!) but still does not work correctly again (BOO)" was an attempt at humor but it must not have translated well.

I took a video over lunch of what I am encountering.

2 weeks later
#14 8 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the help. I am finally getting back into the project.

I have a follow up video that I think does a better job showing the issues.

#16 8 years ago

Thanks so much everyone.

I will check the things mentioned, but to be honest I am not sure how to check them/what to do (very very much an EM rookie). I will have to research a bit.

I do have the schematic and pieced it together with my scanner:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwj3up9hqw2w7fo/Out%20of%20Sight%20Schematic.jpg?dl=0

Hopefully it can help (and help someone else if they need it)

Bill

#17 8 years ago

Hey All,

Ok I have been trying to answer the questions. Thanks so much for the help again,

Q - Do You have a OoS-Schema ? ... Manual ?
A - Thankfully I have a schematic but no manual
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwj3up9hqw2w7fo/Out%20of%20Sight%20Schematic.jpg?dl=0

Q - "Relay to drop for Player-2", "...Player-3", "...Player-4" and Yours ?
A - No sure, where should I look?

Q - Before You treated it with the vacuum: Was the pin working reliable / predictable (action -> reaction, same action -> same reaction)
A - It was working just fine as far as I could tell.

Q - Do You know the rules / logic ?
A - Unfortunately I do not.

Q - Can we narrow / concentrate -> ONE problem to solve ?
A - I think it has to do with the bonus and trough switch?

Q - Start a game for 1 player -> do the counters (player-1) reset ?
A - If the ball is not in the trough it does start and reset the counters with a press of the start button.

Q - Is the Bonus-Ladder at Zero ? (No lights to be seen on the playfield).
A - The ladder seems to have the 5000 light on.

The only other thing I can think of is I replaced a drop target that was installed and from a different machine (mismatched). Would that maybe have put a switch out of alignment or something?

I did another video following Rolf’s instructions.

So any help from here would be awesome! I can post pictures of anything in the machine if needed.

Thanks again,

Bill

#20 8 years ago

Thanks again.

Ken: A picture would be awesome!

Bill

#23 8 years ago

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Q - When You start a game -> Does that "Relay Bank" reset ? Are there tags with text (on / near) the Relay-Bank" - (a relay named "Game Over (Relay)" ?
A - The bank appears to reset and I do have tags.

Q - Look in the picture / in Your OoS: Underneath the playfield (to the right): That huge "Stepper-Unit" see it ? (You have started a game) Hit a lighted drop-down-Target -> That Unit should want to step-up - do You see the "direction of turn" ?
A - It does turn from left to right when hitting a drop target if you are looking at the brown disc.

Q - Pull the 110-Volt-Line-Cord -> be nice and gentle: try to step that Stepper-Unit "the other way" around - we want that Stepper-Unit at ZERO for Our next test. By the way: Can you manually step-up / step-down that unit ? Dirt / Grease / "loose parts" around ? The spring (helping to step-down) in place ? wires soldered on ?
A - It moves in either direction just fine manually.

Q - OK, You have manually stepped that unit down to Zero. -> Plug-in the 110-Volt-Line-Cord and start a game -> please report "The pin is doing ..."
When Your are given the first ball -> play the ball ONLY HITTING the BUMPERS (NO BONUS !) -> let the ball drain -> please report "The pin is doing ...".
Is the second ball given to You ? -> play it (only hitting the bumpers) -> ball -> -> "GAME OVER" ? Please report.
A - With only a bumper hit and then drain, the stepper unit begins and lights the thousands and gets stuck.

Q - The relays in Your OoS ?
A - Here is a picture of my relay bank:
2015-07-16 11.40.06.jpg2015-07-16 11.40.06.jpg

Here is a better video of what exactly is going on with the stepper:

And a few more pictures of the stepper that will hopefully help:

2015-07-16 11.03.29.jpg2015-07-16 11.03.29.jpg
2015-07-16 11.03.40.jpg2015-07-16 11.03.40.jpg
2015-07-16 11.03.48.jpg2015-07-16 11.03.48.jpg
This seems to be the zero position
2015-07-16 11.11.10.jpg2015-07-16 11.11.10.jpg

I greatly appreciate all the help.

Bill

#28 8 years ago

Thanks again everyone!

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went back through everything yet again and took another look at E and G. Ended up taking the whole playfield out to make sure I did not miss anything. And sure enough at relay E:

2015-07-16 22.23.37.jpg2015-07-16 22.23.37.jpg

Was impossible to see well enough with the playfield in, but I discovered some fraying on the blue and orange wire was barely touching the red and white wire contact!!!!

Sure enough, I ensured no contact and bingo played a few games with no issues!!!

I cannot thank everyone enough.

Now that I am at a reliable state I can finish the project/rebirth.

Bill

1 week later
#30 8 years ago

Thanks again everyone.

The step up indeed was firing as soon as the step down fired from what I can figure.....

Two more items to check on, if anyone has an Out of Sight or a Far Out:

1. Should "Tilt" be lit on power up?
2. Is 15,000 the max one can go on the bonus ladder? (10,000 and 5,000 lit)

Bill

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BillPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-out-of-sight-keeps-running-and-running-and-running-em-rookie?tu=BillPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.