2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220319_093430 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Evening! I've been working on a Gottlieb Orbit, resurrected it from sitting idle for what I'm guessing 20 or more years and got it 99.9% working. I am stumped, or maybe this is normal- when I first power up the machine and press the replay button or insert a quarter, doesn't matter, the game successfully resets and ejects the ball, BUT then the player unit advances to "2nd ball". Plays normal the rest of the balls (no difference if 3 or 5.) Then if I hit the replay / insert quarter after game over it functions perfectly fine, starts player 1 / ball 1. Only happens on initial power on.... any thoughts / advice?
Thanks

20220319_093430 (resized).jpg20220319_093430 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Hi Mark, Welcome to pinside!!

Is the 1st Ball relay (ZB) on the relay bank getting tripped before you score any points?

#3 2 years ago

On a similar note, I wonder if the state of the ZB relay when starting the first game after power up is different than the state of the ZB relay when starting a game after finishing a previous game. I think the ZB relay should inhibit the Player Unit from advancing when the very first ball rolls over the Trough switch between the out hole and the shooter lane.

/Mark

#4 2 years ago

Thanks for the replies! I did watch the ZB relay- what I noticed is it was "open" until I scored points after the inital power up, then it closed. I didn't watch to see what happens after a game is played. I'll take a closer look at it and check the schematic to see what the contacts should be doing, maybe it's possible that when I cleaned it up the reset bar isn't adjusted quite right and it's resting just enough on it to hold something open or closed when it shouldn't be or simply the contacs just need adjusted?

#5 2 years ago

It was that simple, the reset bar was ever so slightly resting on some of the relays and it was causing that issue. All good now, thanks to you both, steered me in the right direction.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-orbit-startup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.