You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Op Thunder (resized).jpg
B (resized).jpg
A (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

This is my first post, so hi everybody from the UK. I am in my mid 60s and love my only pin Operation Thunder. I've had it 4 years now but its not been working for the last 6 months. Now having finally rectified the problem and fitted a new A3 driver board the game appears to all be working, although I have noticed the following possible issues ? and would appreciate any help or suggestions from the forum
First this message 8CD9 appears very briefly in player 4 score, only when m/c is first turned on. Also in self test [ which I've only dared try once ] under game prom check SUM 8CD9 comes up again.
Second the game seems to play slightly different, easy !! voice commands do play but don't always as I recall where they once did or as often !! some back box lighting for train and power plant explosions using the larger bulbs seem to not last as long or be as intense, all bulbs are working !!.
Are these issues related ? Can adjustments be made ? is my memory bad ? Could you please advise me ?
Finally I know nothing about electronics, I do have a multi meter, am practical, good with mechanicals and look forward to any and all help, instructions.
Many thanks.
Graham
A (resized).jpgA (resized).jpgB (resized).jpgB (resized).jpg

1 week later
#2 3 years ago

Bump

#3 3 years ago

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_3#Ground_Upgrades

Check out this guide - it may be that you are having a grounding issue.

Mine's in storage so I can't verify that mine comes up with the "game prom check SUM 8CD9" comes up in test mode.

That doesn't sound wrong to me, as the game prom is checksummed (a calculation is run on the bytes of code in the game programmable rom, and the checksum would be different with different bytes. It's a basic test but a helpful one and can pinpoint bad proms).

#4 3 years ago

Thanks i will look into the possible grounding problems

Is 8CD9 brief display at mc turn on indicating a problem or fault ?

4 weeks later
#5 3 years ago

The mods on your's are great with the added planes looks awesome.. was wondering if you could post some pictures of the right side camouflage flipper plastic and the ball launch track instruction plate that give's info for the power plant? Mine are missing and would like to try and make new ones but I need good picture's to try and duplicate..

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from GrahamC:

Thanks i will look into the possible grounding problems
Is 8CD9 brief display at mc turn on indicating a problem or fault ?

Without having mine to check, but thinking how other GTB system 3 games start up, I believe that that message is the checksum (calculated value of read only memory - ROM - code, a quick check to verify that the game code is good, not always accurate, but it's pretty standard practice) for the game ROMs.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Bkrout:

The mods on your's are great with the added planes looks awesome.. was wondering if you could post some pictures of the right side camouflage flipper plastic and the ball launch track instruction plate that give's info for the power plant? Mine are missing and would like to try and make new ones but I need good picture's to try and duplicate..

Op Thunder (resized).jpgOp Thunder (resized).jpg
#8 3 years ago

Thank you

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Bkrout:

Sorry didnt get back to you but see Flip Wilson has posted you the picture
Thanks for your kind comments on my mods

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Without having mine to check, but thinking how other GTB system 3 games start up, I believe that that message is the checksum (calculated value of read only memory - ROM - code, a quick check to verify that the game code is good, not always accurate, but it's pretty standard practice) for the game ROMs.

Thanks pb456 Not sure i understand, but assume if this code remains the same, which it does, thats good.

#11 3 years ago

Mine also has the code 8CD9 at start up, think this is ok.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-operation-thunder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.