Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by stashyboy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gottlieb B-15163 Top View.jpg
    Gottlieb B-15163.jpg
    high hand.jpg
    B15163.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Looked everywhere I could think of & nobody shows this commonly missing part in their catalog.
    Would be such a simple part to reproduce with the proper equipment. Does anyone have a source?

Also, the plastic glass channel A-9026

#2 9 years ago

Im guessing you would fall off your chair if you knew the real cost to make a viable repro of that cover in the commercially trivial quantity that the market would consume. They would probably be about $50 each

#3 9 years ago

I have one I was holding onto "just in case," but would sell it if you need one.

Edit: Pic added. It has some scratches from storage but no chips or cracks.

B15163.jpgB15163.jpg
    #4 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I have one I was holding onto "just in case," but would sell it if you need one.

PM sent!

#5 9 years ago

Note that they didn't start using that cover until a bit later in the 'on/off' switch era. So if your game is '67-early '70s or so, it may not actually be missing.

#6 9 years ago

3D Printing is perfect for this.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

Im guessing you would fall off your chair if you knew the real cost to make a viable repro of that cover in the commercially trivial quantity that the market would consume. They would probably be about $50 each

That actually would be a good part to reproduce on a 3D printer.

#8 9 years ago

Of all the parts manuals I have, the switch cover first shows up in 1976, page 65. I think it's safe to say that any game that has the bronze colored brackets in it won't have this switch cover. Any game that used the silver cadmium plated brackets after that era probably had it. I'm not sure exactly when this line is drawn, my '72 manual doesn't show this cover.

Steve

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Note that they didn't start using that cover until a bit later in the 'on/off' switch era. So if your game is '67-early '70s or so, it may not actually be missing.

#9 9 years ago

I know the '73 King Pin I had used the cover. I'm just not sure how much before that they appeared. The '71 2001 does not (and prior). So somewhere between '71 and '73 at least.

#10 9 years ago

For sure 1973 - & that's what it is going in.
    see photo of an original '73 High hand off of the IPDB

high hand.jpghigh hand.jpg

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

That it would.. someone on pinside have access to one?

#12 9 years ago

From your collection, I'm thinking Top Card and High Hand would have this switch cover by the finish color of the brackets, King Cool would not. Are you missing that cover on both games or just one?

Steve

Quoted from dasvis:

For sure 1973 - & that's what it is going in.
    see photo of an original '73 High hand off of the IPDB

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

From your collection, I'm thinking Top Card and High Hand would have this switch cover by the finish color of the brackets, King Cool would not. Are you missing that cover on both games or just one?
    Steve

King Kool did not, at least it was not on there when I got it.
    Top card is a project I picked up a couple of years ago. It's in hiding from my wife over at an unmarried friend's house & to be honest, I bought it & never really looked inside except to peek thru the coin door.

#14 9 years ago

LOL, I went the other route. I've collected so many games (95+) that any extras are stealth.

Steve

Quoted from dasvis:

Top card is a project I picked up a couple of years ago. It's in hiding from my wife over at an unmarried friend's house

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

LOL, I went the other route. I've collected so many games (95+) that any extras are stealth.
    Steve

Yeah, I have a bud that collect old Mercury Cougars, has them parked in various places. He always tells the wife "I have always had that one, I just moved it" Works every time.

#16 9 years ago

I know "NicVolta" on here at the Dallas Markerspace has access to a 3D printer. You should give him a inbox message.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I know "NicVolta" on here at the Dallas Markerspace has access to a 3D printer. You should give him a inbox message.

Thanks - will do that

#18 9 years ago

My 1973 Hot Shot has the switch cover FWIW.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

3D printing ..good idea!! lets see if we can chant the right incantation to get @swinks in here to make some.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

3D printing ..good idea!! lets see if we can chant the right incantation to get @swinks in here to make some.

I heard the chant lol

yep I can do that one - just need a few dimensions and then I can make it available on Shapeways so it is easy access for everyone.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I heard the chant lol
    yep I can do that one - just need a few dimensions and then I can make it available on Shapeways so it is easy access for everyone.

Can you do it in black as per original?

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Can you do it in black as per original?

Yes Shapeways can do black but their black isn't a polished, as it is like a flat slightly textured finish.

If you send me accurate measurements I can have it designed in the next few days.

#23 9 years ago

to give you a idea these are the other parts available at shapeways that I have done

http://www.shapeways.com/designer/swinks?li=pb&s=24#more-products

check out the speaker mod as it is the matt black.

#24 9 years ago

i have an original jady ill send you pics in a while with measurements

#25 9 years ago

Have you called Steve at Pinball Resource. I have gotten them from him in the past.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kevin_Wing:

Have you called Steve at Pinball Resource. I have gotten them from him in the past.

I checked a while back & he did not.

#27 9 years ago

What happened with the one that AlexF offered up for sale in this thread?

Steve

Quoted from dasvis:

I checked a while back & he did not.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

What happened with the one that AlexF offered up for sale in this thread?
    Steve

I bought it!

#29 9 years ago

I had one on my surf champ so now modelled up and available from Shapeways. I have no control over the price as Shapeways factors 3 elements - material used, volume including the pocket of the cover and labour time. At least it is a option for those wanting a cover for safety.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/2844239/gottlieb-on-off-switch-cover-b-15163.html?materialId=25

Gottlieb B-15163 Top View.jpgGottlieb B-15163 Top View.jpgGottlieb B-15163.jpgGottlieb B-15163.jpg

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I had one on my surf champ so now modelled up and available from Shapeways. I have no control over the price as Shapeways factors 3 elements - material used, volume including the pocket of the cover and labour time. At least it is a option for those wanting a cover for safety.

Dang, you don't waste any time. That was fast.

1 month later
    #31 9 years ago

Would this fit a system 80a?

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kevin_Wing:

Asked him about this years ago as well. He told me the tooling to reproduce them as original (with the lettering/part number) would be many thousands and the volume he would sell would never justify that expense. Sadly, that made perfect sense. Many of the other plastic parts we source from them are made with the original moulds, so no new tooling costs. Nice job on the 3d version.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-on-off-switch-cover-b-15163 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.