6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bdPinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bdPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Got a pretty cool cocktail pinball machine, Re-branded Premier / Gottlieb System 80 by a company called "International Concepts" - who I've never heard of. At first the game wouldn't do much at all, but then I realized it was a multi-ball game and put a second ball it and then the game would start playing, kicks out the ball, and scores.

Unfortunately the flippers don't work. I've looked at the schematics, but they are somewhat lacking. I found the connection they refer to, A9, J1/P1, but there is no board for them to connect to, it's just a quick disconnect of some sort. I also found the other end, where the circuit grounds to a common ground block. That's all I've found though- Are there fuses for the flipper circuit? When you push the flipper buttons, you see just the faintest spark in the flipper button contact. That's all I know!

There also seems to be some type of problem with the Pop bumpers, Neither of them work, and both of the fuses were blown. The left pop bumper seems to have had someone in there working on it, but they neglected to put back in the screws so it's sort of hanging there. I'll replace the screws, and put some fuses in there, but the markings on the underside of the table say these fuses control the left, and right pop bumpers, but don't say anything about the flippers.

I'm so excited because it's my first Gottlieb system 80 game that works at all!

As always, Thanks guys!

-Brian

#2 6 years ago

Update on Night Moves..

Turned it on this evening, and it wouldn't start a game. I mean, it would start, but it wouldn't kick out a ball. I've learned about the opto sensor at the out-hole, and the led woudln't come on with, or without a ball. I reseated A1J4 (I think that was the one) and then it started playing again. kicking out balls, the eject holes work, the pop bumpers however, do not work.

Switch test shows switch 50 - which is that upper left pop bumper is open. I de-soldered the wire from the switch, in case there was some odd problem there, but even though it's definitely NOT closed, the switch matrix still says it is. I see that the switches on the playfield seem to go through another PCB before going down to the system boards. No wonder these games seem to have so many issues- It's definitley not simple! I'd fix 20 Bally, or Williams issues before I'd fix these things.. but I guess if I want my Night Moves, Circus, and that Haunted House I'm looking to get to work, I'm going to need to learn to get to the bottom of these Gottlieb/Premier games.

-Brian

#4 6 years ago

Heh, I've seen those ground mods. And they seem to make some sense because as most Pinball's the rules are:

Rule 1) It's always the connectors
Rule 2) see rule 1!

With gottlieb, same thing goes, only with "it's a problem with the grounding" as a second circular rule set.

They seemed to set these up so that if one little thing is awry, it mucks up the whole works, where with a Bally game for instance, if the sound card is on the fritz, it'll lock the game up, but if you unplug the offending problem it'll still boot up just fine.

I'll get in doing the ground mods. I'd love to have this game in my collection- working and stable I mean. Hahaha.

-Brian

3 weeks later
#5 6 years ago

Opened up my "monte Carlo" for the first time in several months, game seems very similar to night moves, in that it plays, as long as you don't mind the flippers not working.

I'll definitely get an doing the ground mods to both of these games- maybe the circus too, except that game has deeper issues- any ideas on what causes the flippers to not work while the entire rest of the game plays like a charm?? (Well, charm may be an exaggeration, but they would "play" if the flippers worked)

And why are they so particular about having the proper # of balls? I've seen lots of games with multiple balls that if one gets stuck the game will still operate.

-Brian

4 months later
#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Hi Brian, I have a Monte Carlo with the same issue you mentioned... everything works except the flippers. Did you figure out the cause of your flipper problems? Thanks

Sorry- yes. Gottlieb seems to have this problem where after they sit for ever and ever, the EOS switches and the flipper buttons will corrode so badly the flippers won't even budge. Apparently the Q, and T relays can also be involved, but I'd definitely start with the end of stroke, and the flipper switch. You might try jumping one like the EOS switch with alligator clips, and see if you get any movement. The night moves, AND my Monte Carlo both had the same problems. A good filing, and they're back to their flipping best.

Good luck!

-Brian

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bdPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-night-moves-system-80-flippers-dont-work?tu=bdPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.