View topic image gallery

20180116_202108_resized (resized).jpg
20180116_193014_resized (resized).jpg
0111181946a_zpsg2pwjoro (resized).jpg
IMG_0596 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Video of scoring issue:

Pic of score motor location:
http://s891.photobucket.com/user/Fordiesel69/media/0111181958b_zps9pwsrvam.jpg.html

Pic of questionable wire and possible missing wire:
http://s891.photobucket.com/user/Fordiesel69/media/0111181946a_zpsg2pwjoro.jpg.html

Here is the issue. Game seems to work ok but all lanes score way too much. This yellow wire annotated in the pic does not appear factory, and there is a switch with no solder fill. So I am questioning if someone had a field day in there. Would anyone be able to snap a pic of theirs to confirm?

Thanks, Mike.

#2 6 years ago

The video said not available, so I'm not sure what pic you
could use. I can't get to the Neptune at the moment, but
here's a pic of the inside of a Neptune's cab that I took a
while back. I'm sure others will help, but if needed, I should
be able to get to a Neptune this weekend.. (T)

IMG_0596 (resized).JPGIMG_0596 (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago

ok first your pic

0111181946a_zpsg2pwjoro (resized).jpg0111181946a_zpsg2pwjoro (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Now mine, I have a non insulated wire running from the last tab on A level to the 2nd to last tab on the C level. looks to be the same as your yellow

20180116_193014_resized (resized).jpg20180116_193014_resized (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

As to the empty tab on the B level, I have a red&black molted wire attached but its also bridged to a contact on the A stack. Maybe the bridge to the A stack has come off for B tab? I can see the red and black lead in your pic, not sure where its attached

20180116_202108_resized (resized).jpg20180116_202108_resized (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

Very helpful......I will look again at mine. If I unsolder my yellow wire it seems to score correctly.

#7 6 years ago

When I owned a Neptune, the Series Relay (Q) was missing a sand resistor and my rollover scoring was messed up. I took photos of my friend's game and was able to install the missing resistor, which fixed scoring. Another Neptune owner here on Pinside was missing their Q relay, too.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/neptune-chimes-not-working-all-the-time#post-1888242

My hunch is this resistor was prone to failure and an uncommon part, so repair people used creative workarounds instead of doing the right thing.

How does your Q relay look?

3 weeks later
#8 6 years ago

This game is really getting to be furstrating......

We checked the wiring against the pics provided and am not finding any issues. However we noticed the game is giving WOW credits incorrectly as per this video we made:

Also worth noting is all lanes give 500 pts at first. We are unclear if it they are supposed to give 500 or 100 pts. There is a video on youtube that shows theirs is only giving 100 pts.

See here:

Which is correct operation?

#9 6 years ago

Im not getting redirected to the youtube video's.... but putting my Neptune in AAB mode (I normally leave it in Novelty mode) (two jones plugs to move).
Then each lane scores 500 pts. "three ball" mode. I didnt try 5 ball to see if the lane scoring is different. If it is this may be your source of trouble, ie the 3-5 ball jones plug.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Fordiesel69:

This game is really getting to be furstrating......
We checked the wiring against the pics provided and am not finding any issues. However we noticed the game is giving WOW credits incorrectly as per this video we made. Also worth noting is all lanes give 500 pts at first. We are unclear if it they are supposed to give 500 or 100 pts. There is a video on youtube that shows theirs is only giving 100 pts. Which is correct operation?

All lanes are supposes to give 500 points in AAB mode. The other video you saw on YouTube is for the eBay listing of the game I bought five years ago. After owning it for a while, I noticed the scoring was incorrect and did not match the instruction cards. I had to install a sand resistor on the Q relay to get the rollovers functioning correctly.

This sand resistor is also crucial to correct operation of the WOW circuit on this game. Have you looked at your Q relay?

#11 6 years ago

I've heard a number of times over the years that there was a production error during the run of "Neptune". There was some kind of issue that resulted in some of the games keeping the "WOW" lit for prolonged periods, thus making the game really easy to beat. I'm not sure of the particulars, but I think it did have something to do with the sand resistor in the "WOW" circuit. I'll ask Steve Young if he knows anything about it, and will post any insight he may have on this matter.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I've heard a number of times over the years that there was a production error during the run of "Neptune".

Years back when I was still very fresh into the hobby, I picked up a Neptune (didn't have a clue it
was a low production game) and after going through it, it played, but I remember something
was not right about the lighting. I showed the schematics to an old time Vender's mechanic, and
he said "this isn't right!", and although I wasn't yet 100% comfortable on reading schematics, something
seemed wrong to me also. The machine appearantly was wired to the incorrect schematics. I can't
remember the exact issue, or the exact fix, but do remember doing just a small amount of wire
rearranging, fixed the problem. It was an easy fix, but took awhile to track. Not sure if this was/is
related to the above problem, but for sure was wired incorrectly from the factory..

#13 6 years ago

See if this link works. This is the wow problem it is having:

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Fordiesel69:

See if this link works. This is the wow problem it is having:
» YouTube video

If all lanes are awarding a WOW, check your Q relay.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/neptune-chimes-not-working-all-the-time#post-1887712

Quoted from leckmeck:

The resistor on the Q relay could be the culprit. It's part of the lock-in circuit so the relay holds itself while the score motor pulses the 100-point relay. I think the resistor is there to prevent backfeeding to the WOW relay when the card sequence is complete. Without the resistor, all lanes award WOWs, lit or not! My hunch is the resistor knocks down the voltage enough to inhibit the Q relay from locking in on super-fast rollovers.
When I have time, I'll take a look at my Q relay's lock-in switch (with the resistor) and make sure it is squeaky clean and gapped as narrowly as possible.

#15 6 years ago

Check it. Must be ok as it is HOT....... Resistance checks out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-neptune-picture-request and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.