(Topic ID: 274705)

SOLVED Gottlieb Neptune Blows 12A fuse Backbox Illumination At End of Game

By Mikemolang

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

It does not happen all the time, but every few games when the last ball drains, the back box will dim for a second and then go dark. I have the schematic and have analyzed it over and over, and I can't find the problem.

Any suggestions?

Best,
Mike

#2 3 years ago

Intermittent?

Maybe one of the match number lamp sockets has a short?

#3 3 years ago

Game over lamp socket?

#4 3 years ago

I agree with the ideas about game over or match. It is very easy to turn a socket when you replace bulbs. You need to carefully look at the sockets in the backbox. Another option would be to isolate each switch on the game over relay to narrow it down.

#5 3 years ago

Buy a resettable 10a circuit breaker. Take the fuse out and put alligator clips from each side of the fuse holder to it.
Now you can have a mess about and try and see what the problem is without replacing fuses every few seconds.
Is there anything you have touched lately maybe a light socket?

#6 3 years ago

Thanks, all.

Neptune does not have number match.
Game Over lamp socket is good.

I will continue buzzing out connections.

Best,
Mike

#7 3 years ago

Can you share a picture of the section on the schematic for the light circuit?

#8 3 years ago

I looked at the schematic on my Lucky Hand—which is also a lightbox advance unit-based novelty/AAB hybrid like Neptune—because it works nearly the same. The sixth position of the ball count unit is what controls the game over light. If you never experience any blown fuses on any of the other ball count unit positions (1-5) the problem must be in the circuit for the game over light. Maybe there is a metal shaving or solder blob at the bottom of the socket that occasionally causes the shorting, hence the intermittent occurrence of the problem.

#9 3 years ago

Yep, it was a solder blob on the Game Over socket. From the front it looked perfect.

Thanks kimbleseven and leckmeck !

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-neptune-blows-12a-fuse-backbox-illumination-at-end-of-game?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.