Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Cherga
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have a Monte Carlo that doesn’t register numbers 1 and 6 when the roulette wheel spins, it just times out eventually. Accessing it from the top and pressing on the switches doesn’t register either. Any ideas what to try? Thanks

#2 6 years ago

These eight switches are all in the same column of the switch matrix:

* Roulette wheel positions 1 and 6
* Top rollovers 1, 2, 3, and 4
* Drop targets 4 and 5

Are the other switches all working?

#3 6 years ago

Yes, all the other switches you mentioned are working...

#4 6 years ago

Could be a coincidence on the column, I have had 2 at the house and both had a bunch of switches badly miss adjusted, had to remove the wheel on one because tbe switches were so badly bent. I assume u tried in switch test? If so try jumping a wire on switch otherwise you basicly have to take it all apart to clean tbe switches. If that doesnt work you have a break in the wire somewhere or problem on the board.

#5 6 years ago

Try the switch test. If you don't get a positive result, take apart the connector under the playfield that is right by the roulette unit itself. Check continuity for switch 1 at pins 1 and 4 (black lead on pin 1). Check continuity for switch 6 at pins 2 and 4 (black lead on pin 2). Put the black lead on pins 1 and 2 when you test as there is a switching diode in each circuit.

* If your results are positive (the switches show continuity when closed), check continuity from pin 4 of that connector to pin 11 at connector J6 on the control board.

* If your results to testing the switches at the unit were negative, crlush is correct about taking the unit out and dissembling it to clean the tracks and adjust the switches.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for the help. After performing the switch test, all roulette wheel switches showed closed. Manually depressing them yielded the same results I mentioned above with the addition of number 5. Under the playfield I found a broken wire and a bad solder joint on the left side of the wheel. Resoldered both and 1 and 6 now work. I reflowed all the visible solder joints on the wheel just because they all looked a little sketchy. I messed around with the number 5 switch from the top of the playfield and was able to get it to respond once. I suspect I’ll have to remove the wheel to continue troubleshooting.

How difficult is it to remove the wheel? Visibly, it seems like an ambitious effort. This machine must have been in a bar for years as when I got it, it was covered with nicotine. The wiring feels brittle and is covered in nicotine and I’m concerned that removing the wheel will result in more problems than the number 5 not working. Thoughts on the removal process?

#7 6 years ago

The wheel is a true pain in the ass to take apart. I suggest many pictures and take your time. I ended up with all but my #5 working. It would work intermittently depending on where the wheel stopped. I just lived with it.

#8 6 years ago

Removal and disassembly really isn't too bad. Do you have a manual? There is a page in the back that has an exploded view.

To take it out of the machine, disconnect the wiring, remove the four screws holding it to the playfield and it drops right out. For disassembly, start by removing the set screw that holds the "table" to the motor shaft, remove it from the assembly and the rest will become apparent.

#9 6 years ago

Wheel looks overwhelming, but it unplugs so you dont have to unsolder anything, and once on the bench you can easily take pictures, disassemble and clean all switches and straighten and gap them properly so you can have it work trouble free.

#10 6 years ago

Thanks all. Yes, I have the manual and will take a look at the exploded view. When I have a few hours to burn, I may jump in and give it a go and will report back on progress.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-monte-carlo-roulette-wheel-help-needed?hl=fiatsrus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.