_whogivesatruck.JPG
MrPPS.jpeg
image-17.jpg
image-5.jpg
SadMermaid.jpg
Love Connection 1998 Pic 7.jpg
IMG_2199.JPG
$(KGrHqRHJE0E92LQ0jy7BPmWYKwpzg~~60_57.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 9 years ago

To get the maximum for it, your friend should have it restored, but kept as original as possible. If the backglass is a nice original, your friend should remove it and keep it in a safe place while the restoration is done. Hopefully he can fully trust the person doing the restoration not to switch out parts or do other shenanigans. He has a truly desireable and collectable game (when it come to these things, playability sometimes doesn't matter a whole lot). He can then list it on eBay, Mr. Pinball, or here on Pinside. He can post photos of it here for free. Let the market decide what it's worth. "Past performance is no guarantee of future returns", but I'd say he's going to do well with it. Please post some "as is" photos if you can. We would like to see it.

#35 9 years ago

A "Mermaid" in any condition is highly collectable. Many of us here would pay $1000 or more for even a trashed example. Everyone has different tastes and desires. It's the market that determines the value of anything, not just pinball machines.

#41 9 years ago

Other than the playfield, how's the rest of the game? He should post photos here so we can all have a look. He did start this thread, let's see what he's got.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Bribo13:

Why would you say a pin that was to trashed to be played and could most likely never be brought back to life was highly collectable ? you zero chance of getting a playfield so what is the value of a machine that is nothing more than a hapless project / parts game . if you have no playfield you have no game.
Not trying to crack wise, I have respect for all peoples likes and opinions I am just trying to get educated as to the thinking . because to me a machine that is not repairable is not of much value.
I have tons of wood rail parts, it doesn't make them more valuable if the came from a mermaids or a Dancing dolls, and A back glass is easy to come by.
So if you care to help me to understand the value of The Mermaid in question ?
Thanks
Brian Lenker</blockquote

It's like rare, vintage motorcycles for example. If you came across a super rare early Harley, or Indian, or whatever which was missing the motor or transmission, that bike is not rideable, but is still highly valuable and collectable because enough people would want it and would pay up for it. Any collectable item by definition, is valuable to collectors of said item. The useable condition of the item is often not a factor to a collector as far as desirability, but does obviously determine just how much they would spend on it compared to other known examples of the item.
As far as having "parts", parts are just parts if they're generic or common. A motor from a "Mermaid" would be no more valuable than one from any other game, but a motor board with the harnesses and relays designed and built for a "Mermaid" would be more valuable than one from a more common game.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

This one for $13K in St. Louis still appears to be available.
" target="_blank">stlouis.craigslist.org link
Go figure.

I think what kills that one aside from the "ware" on the playfield is the Chicago Coin shooter gauge.

#52 9 years ago

Yup, let the original poster verify his story with some photos.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Well it looks like I started a food fight in the cafeteria here and I apologize for that. I certainly did not mean for that to happen. As I stated in the original post I had and still have not seen this machine, or even a picture of it. I only see the owner every week or two. I asked to be sent some pictures, but have not received any yet. I guess the value of this pin with respect to it's condition will remain debatable, like most things. I put him in touch with Clay and judging by his opinion of pictures of the machine, I would say that the owner's description to me of it's condition was fairly off the mark. If Clay says it's trashed and not a candidate for restoration I am inclined at this point to believe him. I don't suppose the owner would care if Clay posted a couple of those pictures on this thread so we all could see the %*$# thing already. He is not a pinsider anyway. I can't wait to see him again so I can discuss what "is the playfield worn down to the wood, or is the artwork intact ?" means. Seems like a simple question to me.

Hopefully you can get us some photos of the game. That would clear up a whole lot of speculation. Then, who knows; someone here just might make him an offer he's happy with.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Ron Webb has a WTB Mermaid pf that's on the Pinside Market - maybe posting for SM or he has a Mermaid too?

Ron works at the Silverball Museum. I guess Rob did buy it then. I wonder what he paid for it?
He just might commission a playfield if all else fails. Who else could use one?

#97 9 years ago

I wish the original poster would let us know the status of the game. Rumor has it, it was sold to the Silverball Museum. Would Mr. Swillie care to give an update?

#103 9 years ago

You were smart to snag it. I'd give Rob at the SBM a call if I were you (if he did indeed buy the game and is looking for a playfield). You could pretty much name your price.

#105 9 years ago

I don't think that's happening. He probably paid a mint for it. It would be nice if the original poster (who started this whole shebang) would fill us in on some details.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-mermaid-price-check?tu=jrpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.