Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by reppie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC_4382.jpg
P1010038.JPG
P1010037.JPG
mermaid4.jpg
Mermaid1.jpg
Mermaid 22(G)51.jpg
DSC_4384.JPG
DSC_4378.JPG
_whogivesatruck.JPG
MrPPS.jpeg
image-17.jpg
image-5.jpg
SadMermaid.jpg
Love Connection 1998 Pic 7.jpg
IMG_2199.JPG
$(KGrHqRHJE0E92LQ0jy7BPmWYKwpzg~~60_57.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 4 years ago

I saw pics of this game. The lower 1/3 of the playfield is worn to wood and delaminated (like nearly every mermaid.) The game is trashed in my opinion. If you can get past the visuals, the game is still unplayable and would be impossible to repair to playable condition. Looks are everything on this game too. A worn mermaid is worth next to nothing in my opinion.

I re made the mermaid playfields. They are all gone (only made 12). I had one last playfield but gave it to the PPM last fall and they installed it. There's none left. Therefore the only thing this game is good for in my opinion is parts. I would not offer more than $500. But that's me. I have lots of trashed woodrails and probably can't get $50 for then. So even at $500 with no playfields available, why even spend that much?

Back in the day sure this game brought big money. But that's because I re made the playfields! With them all gone, this game is just a pile of parts. I have a guy calling me every week asking about a playfield. Sorry they are all gone! He's screwed, just like this guy. I'm sorry but that's how it is.

#45 4 years ago

When I re did the plaYfields, that was almost 10 years ago. It took 9 of those 10 years to get rid of all 12! So the demand was/is low. I spent about $10,000 to get those 12 done. I had to buy a plane ticket to go to someone's house that had a nos playfield, and then hp4600 scan it. Then pay to have the layers made and the wood cut and screened. It was a long and expensive process. Now there's what like 2 games that we missed with the original run?

For the guy that's mad about only being offered $500 for the game. My suggestion is they should buy the game and hold it. Maybe a nos playfield will appear. Or spend $10k to make another run of fields.

Incidentally the guy bought the mermaid for $100. Pretty sure even at $500 he's doing fine.

#54 4 years ago

I'm sure to someone a beat to death mermaid is worth more than $500. but to *ME* it's only worth $500. i can't speak about other people, but to ME it's a bag of parts (that i don't need), and a hope that some day the magical playfield fairy will produce a playfield. Hey look if anyone thinks it's worth more than $500, then BUY IT. That is, grow a set and step up to the plate. Think a game with 1/3 of the playfield paint gone is worth money, more power to ya. Or invest the $10k i invested, and have more playfields made. Good luck. Me i'm set, i got one with a perfect playfield, because i man'ed up and had the playfields made, after i bought a "bag of parts" Mermaid. Because i don't believe that the playfield fairy delivers. For all the guys sitting on the sidelines playing monday morning quarterback, get in the game and step up and invest. Then you can tell us how it feels to buy a game for $5k (or whatever) with essentially no playfield. I can tell you exactly how that feels, because i've been there and done that. And it doesn't feel good, trust me.

#56 4 years ago

childish? really? go ahead, man up big boy and lay down YOUR CASH and buy the bag of parts. then you can tell us how that wait (forever) for a playfield feels, while the big money lays there useless.

#58 4 years ago

there's nothing dishonest about any of this. i pay what i feel a game is worth, not what you think it's worth. it's that simple. if you want to overpay for a bag of old parts, that's your choice. but my choice is mine, and i'm not paying more than $500 for ye olde bag of crap.

#64 4 years ago

people think my name is cliff, that happens a lot.
but Boilerman's point is correct.

Quoted from boilerman:

cliff did not try to cheat anyone. he made an offer on a machine at what he thought is was worth to HIM. the other party either takes it or passes on the offer, it is their choice. I make many offers on pins. I only offer what I feel it is worth to me at that time. sometimes the offer is higher sometimes lower than what the seller is asking.
if this tread was on any other pin other than mermaid it would of died quickly. mermaid is sought after by many. From the opinions of older guys that I know who have played it, I have not they say it really is not that great of a game.
just my .02

#68 4 years ago

Vid I am totally cool with that, it's yours!

#73 4 years ago

I think he sold it to rob at the silverball museum. I think. Because rob has been asking me 20 questions about mermaid playfields. He said he'll take any playfield in nearly any condition, as long as it's not delaminated.

#80 4 years ago

I don't think there's but 2 or 3 mermaids in existence that need playfields. So that makes the process a lot more expensive. When I did it I found 10 people to pony up about $900 each. That plus mine covered the costs. Today it's probably more expensive to make, and less demand. So that 2 playfields could cost $2500 each? Maybe more...

#84 4 years ago

Vid it may be more like you spend 5k and then sit on that second playfield for a long time. I had my last mermaid playfield for nearly 10 years before a mermaid came around that needed it. And then I donated it. *sigh* I knew that would happen!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 142.00
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.75
$ 21.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 78.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 229.99
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 35.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 66.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 199.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 64.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside