Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by reppie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC_4382.jpg
P1010038.JPG
P1010037.JPG
mermaid4.jpg
Mermaid1.jpg
Mermaid 22(G)51.jpg
DSC_4384.JPG
DSC_4378.JPG
_whogivesatruck.JPG
MrPPS.jpeg
image-17.jpg
image-5.jpg
SadMermaid.jpg
Love Connection 1998 Pic 7.jpg
IMG_2199.JPG
$(KGrHqRHJE0E92LQ0jy7BPmWYKwpzg~~60_57.JPG

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 years ago

That's a repo pf, correct? Just wondering.

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

That's a repo pf, correct? Just wondering.

Yes it is, it's one of the 12 that were made about 8+ years ago.

#103 4 years ago

You were smart to snag it. I'd give Rob at the SBM a call if I were you (if he did indeed buy the game and is looking for a playfield). You could pretty much name your price.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

You were smart to snag it. I'd give Rob at the SBM a call if I were you (if he did indeed buy the game and is looking for a playfield). You could pretty much name your price.

I think he would rather have rob sell him the machine.

#105 4 years ago

I don't think that's happening. He probably paid a mint for it. It would be nice if the original poster (who started this whole shebang) would fill us in on some details.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I don't think that's happening. He probably paid a mint for it. It would be nice if the original poster (who started this whole shebang) would fill us in on some details.

I wouldn't count on it.

#107 4 years ago

You guys are just going to love this!!
Sitting down......

I'm fairly persistent when I want something and don't give up that easily. I now have the full story on this Mermaid and I'd love to share. I know a few of you also want to know.

I spoke to the real owner of this machine yesterday and .... THIS MERMAID DOESN'T EXIST!!! Never did!!!
It's a 1970 Gottlieb Scuba 2 player. It has Mermaids on the Backglass and also on the playfield.
It's still for sale and I do have the contact info from the owner if anyone's looking for one.

Now go back and read through the BS that was previously posted on this and you won't believe what you're reading. I'll let you draw your own conclusions. I've learned a lot and who to trust from this experience, a real eye opener.
This machine won't be headed to the Silverball and if they end up with a Mermaid, it won't be from this owner.
I'm guessing the person who started this post might chime in too.

And my playfield still will wait for another machine in need. I'm in no hurry

#108 4 years ago

lol classic!

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from waltrr:

You guys are just going to love this!!
Sitting down......
I'm fairly persistent when I want something and don't give up that easily. I now have the full story on this Mermaid and I'd love to share. I know a few of you also want to know.
I spoke to the real owner of this machine yesterday and .... THIS MERMAID DOESN'T EXIST!!! Never did!!!
It's a 1970 Gottlieb Scuba 2 player. It has Mermaids on the Backglass and also on the playfield.
It's still for sale and I do have the contact info from the owner if anyone's looking for one.
Now go back and read through the BS that was previously posted on this and you won't believe what you're reading. I'll let you draw your own conclusions. I've learned a lot and who to trust from this experience, a real eye opener.
This machine won't be headed to the Silverball and if they end up with a Mermaid, it won't be from this owner.
I'm guessing the person who started this post might chime in too.
And my playfield still will wait for another machine in need. I'm in no hurry

I am not surprised by the BS at all.

#110 4 years ago

SadMermaid.jpg

#111 4 years ago

Well..............Clay did state that he, "Speculated," Rob bought it, (post #73). It appears to me Clay wasn't being dishonest in any way. Probably just incorrect if anything.

Ron Webb isn't big on posting in any forum, (despite his knowledge of pinball and the hobby), and I too, have recently seen a post from him for a Mermaid playfield. Having met, getting to know, and having worked with both Ron and Rob personally, I would say Rob must have a Mermaid.

#112 4 years ago

I laughed pretty hard when Walt let me know what he found out about said "mermaid" pinball machine. I am very sorry for all the fuss my post caused, kind of a grand entrance onto this forum I guess. Also sorry I haven't posted since the first day or so... some of the posts forced me to go into radio silence till I could get ahold of the owner and verify some of the things being claimed here...like Walt said...draw your own conclusions.

" I'm talking about something important, like discipline and duty and honor and courage. And you ain't got none of it! " Seargent Hulka

Thanks Walt for straightening this all out and being understanding about the mistake, if not disappointed. Sometimes you never know when you are going to meet awesome people in this world.

#113 4 years ago

I'm confused. I thought someone saw pics of the 'trashed' playfield? Should be easy to tell the difference between a Mermaid and a Scuba playfield, right?

image-5.jpgimage-17.jpg

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from waltrr:

Never would have guessed that was coming.....

Quoted from vid1900:

Obviously this game does not exist

#115 4 years ago

me too

first point of confusion was initial post stating that value estimate by an "expert" was $1000;
then 2nd point
later clay says he saw photos of a Mermaid pin with thrashed worn to bare wood playfield
and he cautiously only offered $500.

seems like we may be talking two totally different machines and selling/buying/expert parties involved.

#116 4 years ago

seems like we may be talking two totally different machines and selling/buying/expert parties involved.

Quoted from pinwiztom:

me too
first point of confusion was initial post stating that value estimate by an "expert" was $1000;
then 2nd point
later clay says he saw photos of a Mermaid pin with thrashed worn to bare wood playfield
and he cautiously only offered $500.

Nope, one seller, one machine, (Stans and won't post his last name, he's not a pinhead), a machine that was only presumed to be a Mermaid and multiple buyers.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from Boatcat:

Well..............Clay did state that he, "Speculated," Rob bought it, (post #73). It appears to me Clay wasn't being dishonest in any way. Probably just incorrect if anything.
Ron Webb isn't big on posting in any forum, (despite his knowledge of pinball and the hobby), and I too, have recently seen a post from him for a Mermaid playfield. Having met, getting to know, and having worked with both Ron and Rob personally, I would say Rob must have a Mermaid.

Look at the dates, Ron posted he was looking for a playfield on the 7th on RGP and this post wasen't even started until the 9th. This has nothing to do with Ron.

#118 4 years ago

So to catch up, who the heck is "Mr. Personality?"

And I will be playing some Mermaid tonight to see what all this stink is aboot.

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So to catch up, who the heck is "Mr. Personality?"

Hint.
MrPPS.jpeg

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from waltrr:

Look at the dates, Ron posted he was looking for a playfield on the 7th on RGP and this post wasen't even started until the 9th. This has nothing to do with Ron.

Except Ron works for Rob at the museum. I'm sure there's a Mermaid belonging to Rob floating around somewhere.

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from Boatcat:

Except Ron works for Rob at the museum. I'm sure there's a Mermaid belonging to Rob floating around somewhere.

i think i remember someone saying rob had one in really bad shape maybe that is the one ron is working on?

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I saw pics of this game. The lower 1/3 of the playfield is worn to wood and delaminated (like nearly every mermaid.) The game is trashed in my opinion. If you can get past the visuals, the game is still unplayable and would be impossible to repair to playable condition. Looks are everything on this game too. A worn mermaid is worth next to nothing in my opinion.

Quoted from cfh:

Incidentally the guy bought the mermaid for $100. Pretty sure even at $500 he's doing fine.

Quoted from cfh:

I don't think there's but 2 or 3 mermaids in existence that need playfields.

The owner of this 'Scuba' as it turns out told me it was a Gottlieb Mermaid and that many years ago he paid $100 for it. I directed him to contact yours truly above, which he did. What he never ever did do, was take even one picture of it. Had he done so in the first place I would not have needed to start this thread to try and validate the way undervalued quote he was given, assuming it was a 1951 Gottlieb Mermaid anyway.

Unless of course there is another guy in the Metro Detroit area who knows someone who paid a $100 for a Mermaid years ago and also contacted yours truly above just this past week, but sent him pictures of the thing and it had a trashed playfield and he was given the exact same lowball quote.

Lets give him the benefit of the doubt. It could happen, afterall there is like 2 or 3 of these things left in the world right?

#123 4 years ago

It will be interesting to get Clays' take on all this in the light of latest devs

#124 4 years ago
_whogivesatruck.JPG
#125 4 years ago

Yeh well me otherwise I would not have posted 123.

#126 4 years ago

Me too Wayner. I have learned a heck of a lot from Clay's contributions to the hobby. Some strange emotion shown in this thread.

I will say no more.

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

This one for $13K in St. Louis still appears to be available.
stlouis.craigslist.org link
Go figure.

I like the Chicago Coin housing on the Shooter Rod!

#128 4 years ago

Waiting on Clay's explanation. Where is all that bluster from a few days back?

#129 4 years ago

Come on down to the VFW Showcase this year and find out what all the hub bub aboot this game is (and then tell me because I don't get it).

http://vfwpinball.com/?p=128

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Come on down to the VFW Showcase this year and find out what all the hub bub aboot this game is (and then tell me because I don't get it).
http://vfwpinball.com/?p=128

IIRC it had a couple of problems during last year's Showcase. I had to repair it twice. Once under the PF (Flipper, what else is new?) And an issue with the scoring unit in the head.

#131 4 years ago

Sold mine a few years ago..

DSC_4378.JPG DSC_4384.JPG Mermaid 22(G)51.jpg Mermaid1.jpg mermaid4.jpg P1010037.JPG P1010038.JPG DSC_4382.jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 245.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 21.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 87.00
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.99
Playfield - Plastics
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 29.04
Playfield - Plastics
F14 Tomcat Slingshots Out of stock
Pinball-Mods.com
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside