Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
IMG_3069 (resized).jpg
IMG_3070 (resized).jpg
IMG_3068 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Have a Gottlieb Melody that I am having trouble tracking down some switch issues, certain switches are not registering. Lights are going off when switch is closed, but nothing scores.

#2 Green Rollover
#3 Green Target
#2 Yellow Rollover
#2 White Rollover
#2 White Target
Rollunder Switch

I initially thought it was an issue with relay "I" but that seems to be ok. I also thought maybe it was relay "C" since that was a normally closed switch between all of them. I have not taken apart the sweeper to clean it, I was assuming the signal was not getting that far down the line, but could be wrong!

Unfortunately Im still learning EM's and the schematics, so I could use some help in tracking down the correct relay(s) to inspect. Im trying to get this thing completely working by next weekend, having a huge swim/pin party and all the pins in my collection working would be a wonderful thing.

IMG_3068 (resized).jpgIMG_3068 (resized).jpgIMG_3069 (resized).jpgIMG_3069 (resized).jpgIMG_3070 (resized).jpgIMG_3070 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Reply sent in private message

#3 5 years ago

The instruction card on ipdb.org says that apart from the #4 rollovers, all other targets and rollovers score 50 points. Is that what you're expecting? So all of the targets and rollovers that are giving you trouble should award 50 points? If so, that should help simplify things.

Near the bottom of your first photo is the circuit for the I relay which shows that eight rollover switches, the roll under switch and all of four targets should fire the I relay. Although they're not labeled I suspect the eight rollover switches are the #1 and #2 rollovers. Go through all 13 switches and see whether they each fire the I relay. If not, investigate why.

The I relay fires the J relay (top half of your 3rd photo) which should send five pulses to the M relay which should award 50 points I believe.

/Mark

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from ibis:

Lights are going off when switch is closed

Do you mean lights are going on?

Quoted from MarkG:

The instruction card on ipdb.org says that apart from the #4 rollovers, all other targets and rollovers score 50 points. Is that what you're expecting? So all of the targets and rollovers that are giving you trouble should award 50 points?

I see the same thing as MarkG . Please clarify ibis what you're looking for.

#5 5 years ago

When I engage the playfield switches that are NOT working, I can hear the accompanied relay engage, the light goes off, but no score.
When I engage the playfield switches that ARE working, I can hear the accompanied relay engage, the light goes off, and there is a 50 point score.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from ibis:

I can hear the accompanied relay engage

Which relay is that?

#7 5 years ago

For example, if I manually engage the WHITE #2 rollover(non-working), I can see and hear the W2 relay draw in. The light goes out, but no score. Now, if I manually engage the RED #2 rollover(working correctly), I can see and hear the R2 relay draw in. The light goes out, and the score adds 50 through the "I" relay. At least I think it is "I" relay, the label is missing, but I gather that is the correct relay by the ladder diagram in the schematic. I believe the "I" relay sends the "10's" unit a pulse of 5 to score the 50 points for all the numbered switches and targets, but I could be wrong.

#8 5 years ago

Your schematic shows that the I relay has an orange-black wire on one solder lug, and a (not shown, but probably) black wire on the other. That should be enough to identify the I relay.

Quoted from MarkG:

Go through all 13 switches and see whether they each fire the I relay. If not, investigate why.

The other relays you mention don't seem to have anything to do with the points. Figure out why some of your 50 point targets and rollovers don't fire the I relay. It could be something as simple as dirty contacts or a maladjusted switches.

#9 5 years ago

Do your rollovers have 3 blade or 4 blade switches?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from ibis:

I gather that is the correct relay by the ladder diagram in the schematic

I have no idea what you mean by "the ladder diagram", but the schematic does say that the Motor Delay (I) relay is the only relay with a normally open switch and a normally closed switch.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#11 5 years ago

Howard, the rollover switches have 4 blades, 2 contact points.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from ibis:

rollover switches have 4 blades

Looking at the schematic, on each rollover, one pair of adjacent blades has an Orange&Black wire on one blade and a Slate&Yellow wire on the other. What happens when you briefly connect those two wires on a rollover that doesn't score?

#13 5 years ago

(quote from an email) "I have done some deoxit on some contacts"
If that's a chemical, don't do that.

#14 5 years ago

Ill make contact on both sides of the switch separately and report back.

#15 5 years ago

The slate/yellow is tied to both switches. When I depress just the Slate/Yellow the light goes out. When I just depress the Orange/Black, nothing happens.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from ibis:

When I just depress the Orange/Black, nothing happens.

If the Motor Delay (I) relay doesn't activate when you do that, then inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#17 5 years ago

The Orange/Black is present with all the troubled switches. So if I systematically jump the Orange/Black wire at relay I, to each other corresponding rollovers, it should either work or not work, telling me where the fault is? And that would include jumping the T relay too right? Just wanting to understand this before I start jumping stuff and cooking something lol

#18 5 years ago

I'm busy this afternoon and don't have time for a detailed response. If these links about Alligator clip jumper wires don't clarify how to use them, PM me your phone # and I'll text you when I get back to set up a time to talk.

http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

#19 5 years ago

Ok thanks for the help! Ill take a look at that tonight and work on the game tomorrow then report back. I appreciate the patience, still learning about EM's.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,150 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-melody-switch-issues- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.