• Latest reply 7 years ago by CookyJar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC05071.jpg
DSC05072.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CookyJar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I recently picked up a Gottlieb Mayfair, it's my Fall/Winter project. Before I start tearing down for a restore I want to get the machine working properly, but I'm having some startup issues. The score motor is constantly running when I drop a quarter start a game (is this the only way to start a Gottlieb? On my Williams, the left flipper switch turns on the machine). I've checked a few initial things, the score reels on both players reset to the 0 position properly. I've also tried to eliminate the coin door as a problem, by removing the jones plug then jumping the slam switch and momentarily jumping the start button and I get nothing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to look next, what other switches could be stuck causing this problem or anything else. Also, I'm still somewhat a repair novice and this his is my first Gottlieb EM.

#2 8 years ago

Looking over the backbox again I noticed that the ball played unit has a wire missing and one disconnected. Since they each have a jumper wire on the through hole is the other wire just redundant or could it be contributing to the score motor running?

DSC05072.jpgDSC05072.jpg

DSC05071.jpgDSC05071.jpg

#4 8 years ago

Also noticed, that even though the scoring reels reset to 0 position the thousand light on player one remains lit.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

looks like that braided wire needs to be re attached to the one next to it. I dont have that pin, so guessing if it too needs to tie to ground? do you have the schematic?

Just going through the cab and found some paperwork and looks like I have the schematic. Will have to look over tonight.

#8 8 years ago

Thanks DirtFlipper. Didn't have much time tonight to work on it (hope to have more time over the weekend). I did however try a few things out. Made sure that the Red and Yellow bonus steppers were not closed (manually), when I dropped a coin to start the machine up the score motor continued to run and the Control Bank did not reset. When I manually reset the Control Bank the score motor stopped and I was able to start a game. When testing out the switches on the playfield I came across a few problems that will have to be addressed once the start up issue is resolved (pop bumper locking on once actuated, another pop bumper not locking on but causing a coil or relay in the backbox to lock, the single digit scoring reel not scoring points and sometimes locking on.) assuming these aren't linked to the Control Bank reset issue.

Is the problem with the Control Bank have to do with a misadjusted or dirty point on the make/break switch on the SB relay or do I have to go down the motor path on the schematics to see if it's problem at down that way?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Chances are good that it's the SB armature switch, but look on your schematic at the bottom, and you'll see the Control Bank Reset coil. Read right to left for the path involved (four switches, plus the 1amp slo-blo fuse).

So, here's where I'm at now. Checked the SB relay that the switches are properly gaped and clean, still the same issue no Control Bank reset. Then I follow the schematic down the line test, the slow blow fuse, check that the zero position switch on the balls played unit is gaped and clean, score motor switches gaped and clean. So everything should be good, right? Start up the machine and still no Control Bank reset! So I start tracing the wire colors, but on the SB relay I can't find the correct wire colors, everywhere else is good. Then I look at the relay indicator strip on the bottom board and realize it's flipped! I've been looking the wrong relay the whole time!

Now that I'm able to look at the correct relay, it looks like the switch is missing the contact points. But I can't tell for sure since it's in an awkward position, going to have to pull the bottom board out to be able to get a better look.

One question, the switch look unique in it's length and bend. Is this something that Steve Young at PBR would have or should I look elsewhere? Thanks again for the help!

#12 8 years ago

Scratch that, just pulled the bottom board out and the SB armature switch does have it's points and is gaped correctly. So other then cleaning the points it looks ok. Not sure where I should look next.

#14 8 years ago

Thanks DirtFlipper, will definitely try the jumper wire to narrow down the the possibilities. Looks like I won't have time till the weekend to work on it (never enough time), so I'll report back then.

Also, I had cleaned the Jones plug connection to the backbox and did a continuity test to eliminate that as an issue.

7 months later
#15 7 years ago

Been a while, but I finally ended up just shopping the whole machine which I was planning on doing anyway. That seemed to clear up control back reset issue, however I'm having other scoring/locked on relay problems. Probably better to start up a new thread, then continue this one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CookyJar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-mayfair-score-motor-running?tu=CookyJar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.