mayfair jumper test (resized).jpg
Mayfair 1B relay (resized).jpg
Mayfair XB relay 2 (resized).jpg
32F71663-E96F-4739-9319-4891941576A4 (resized).jpeg
Mayfair XB relay (resized).jpg
B34A806E-0E06-4026-B02A-6FDA9A08FDDA (resized).jpeg
Mayfair SB relay (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Good Evening Experts. I’m an old guy knowledgeable of restoring vintage cars but new to pinball. Having fun, learning and remain in awe of the expertise on these forums.

Have an original 1966 Gottlieb Mayfair purchased in 1990 by me, kids used it extensively through 2005 and college, then sat unused for the last 17 years. Worked when last used. Bringing it back to life now for the grandkids. Systematically cleaned and renewed and now have most everything working with one issue. Unable to have two players. When I power up and press a game, it resets fine. When I select a second player, it registers the second player, then immediately resets. It will play a 1 player game, count the balls correctly, then goes to Player two after Player 1 completes ball 5. It then sticks on Player 2, ball 5. If you reset, same.

I can manually step the Balls Played Unit through all positions and it will register correctly, switching between each player with the correct response. I rebuilt that step Unit and it is not binding. It advances and resets smoothly. I can manually trip the PB relay (second player relay) and it will work fine. I can manually trip the QB relay and game over and Match will display correctly. Following the schematics....still learning here...it appeared the issue would be in the ZB, PB or H Hold Relay. H looked burned so I replayed it...still same issue. I’ve checked the SB (start relay) and it appears correct but that could be the issue and will revisit.

So, very much stumped on why it immediately resets to 1 player after pressing the game button and why the XB and QB relays will not function after ball five. I feel I’m missing a single contact that inhibits the sequence. Any advice appreciated and thanks in advance for any given.

#2 2 years ago

Deleted

#3 2 years ago

Follow on information. It appears what I am looking for is what ever is triggering the control bank to reset when the second player is added. What causes the control bank servo to fire? The zero position Balls Played is correct, which suggests the D coil or motor 4c is the culprit per the schematics. Any thoughts appreciated. Still learning schematics and this one is confusing me. I may just be reading it wrong.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from mmaston:

I can manually trip the PB relay (second player relay) and it will work fine.

I think that your SB relay is incorrectly firing when you try to add the 2nd player:
Mayfair SB relay (resized).jpgMayfair SB relay (resized).jpg
After you start the game with one player, the H relay and ZB relay switches should be open which would prevent the SB relay from firing and instead allow the PB relay to trip and not get immediately reset.

/Mark

#5 2 years ago

Thank you MarkG. That makes sense. Will investigate this evening and report back.

#6 2 years ago

Thank you MarkG. The ZB relay was closed. Cleaned and gapped. Players and balls now credit and advance correctly. End of game not quite right but now I know what I am supposed to be seeing in the control bank. I’ll revisit those as well and ensure they are correct. I missed this one, perhaps another as well. Very grateful for the education. I’ll post when I have it all correct. M

#7 2 years ago

Update...the second player relay now works properly and you can play through on 1 or 2 player game to ball 5 will h all scores accurate. At last ball, it will not fire the Last Ball relay or, in turn, the Game Over relay. I have checked the gaps and they are correct and the game over lights and match lights will illuminate if manually functioned.

The schematics suggest the ball count unit is not sending the signal, it remains on player 2, ball five. The only thing that I have repaired in the ball count unit was a broken wire. You can see the new solder joint on the ground. This is where I thought it went as it had the broken joint. Perhaps it should be jumped to the snowshoe? If anyone has the correct solder points, that could be the issue.

So, any thoughts greatly appreciated. Believe all related relays to Game Over are correct but I’m a new guy still learning. Appreciate your patience with me.

B34A806E-0E06-4026-B02A-6FDA9A08FDDA (resized).jpegB34A806E-0E06-4026-B02A-6FDA9A08FDDA (resized).jpeg
#8 2 years ago

I think the double arrows in red in the schematic below refer to the pair of wipers that are soldered together, or perhaps another pair soldered together on the other end of the wiper board.
Mayfair XB relay (resized).jpgMayfair XB relay (resized).jpg
The single wiper whose connection you repaired would have just a single arrow. (For extra credit find it on the schematic to convince yourself that it's unrelated.)

Here are a few things to try:
- Jumper around individual or sets of switches to see if you can get the XB relay to trip.
- Check that the spring loaded wipers slide easily in and out and make good contact with the contact board below.
- See if things improve in a 3 ball game instead of a 5 ball game.
- Clean the contact board. (There's way too much grease there.)

#9 2 years ago

Thanks again MarkG. I’ll disassemble and clean up the contact board and systematically work on getting the XB relay to trip from the Ball count unit. Excellent suggestion on changing to a 3 ball game...that should provide insight and educate me on those switches. When I play or manually step it through, it progresses correctly to ball 5, player two, but will not trip last ball. Disassembly and analysis will continue my education and most likely reveal the answer.

If I understand this correctly, the wiper feet that are jumped (red arrows) connect contacts 4, 5, 8 and 9 as it steps up. So, 5 should be hot on 3 balls, 8 on 5 balls, both of which should trip the relay. Is this correct? Still having fun

Not sure I understand your test question. The wire appears to go to ground.

#10 2 years ago

Yes, the double red arrow in the schematic represents the wipers that move from one stepper position to the next. You can check its integrity with a meter after unplugging the game. For example in position 4 there should be a low resistance path from the slate+white wire on one side to the white wire on the other. It's safer and more straightforward than probing around for voltages.

Position 4 should trip the XB relay in a single player, 3 ball game. On a two player 3 ball game the PB/2nd Player relay switch will be open so the XB relay won't trip until position 5.

#11 2 years ago

As always, thank you. I will proceed as directed and report back tonight.

#12 2 years ago

Good Evening MarkG. Disassembled the Ball Count, removed most the the dialectic, steps up and retracts home. All looks proper. I removed and reinspected the control bank to ensure that was correct. All appear gapped correctly with no burns.
If I play a game, 1 or 2 player, or manually step the balls through, everything registers correctly except...
1. If 3 ball play is selected, it counts up to 5 and follows the same 5 ball symptoms
2. On 5 ball play, it steps through correctly, lights switch from player 1 to 2 and back (yes, the second player relay is closed), After last ball, the ball count steps to post 11...the last one...which should trigger game over. Is that correct? What happens is the second player light illuminates and the game keeps going. It will do this on 1 player, 2 player, 3 ball or 5 ball.

The attached picture (with a degreased board ) shows the jumped pegs. But, they are only jumped at the sleeve, not the peg itself. I tried to manually close the circuit to see what may happen with no results.

So, are these pegs jumped both top and bottom...as the others are? Which pegs are supposed to be jumped? Suspect a wire has gone missing during moves, etc. is this the correct approach? The old school way for me to sort this would be to map the color codes to each peg, look at what is bridged, and map that to the last ball and game over relays...or ask those that have been here before mjm

32F71663-E96F-4739-9319-4891941576A4 (resized).jpeg32F71663-E96F-4739-9319-4891941576A4 (resized).jpeg
#13 2 years ago
Quoted from mmaston:

1. If 3 ball play is selected, it counts up to 5 and follows the same 5 ball symptoms

That's not right. What is the XB relay doing? If it's not firing when it should then anything that happens later might be due to the XB relay.

#14 2 years ago

It seems strange that the player unit wiper is adjusted so far to the right.

#15 2 years ago

Thank you both for your response.

For Mark G...I concur the XB is the problem...it is not receiving a pulse from the Ball Count Unit (BCU) on either 3 ball or 5 ball. After learning more about the BCU it appears the top 3 tracks control the players and ball count. 10 alternating rivets representing ball balls 1-5 for each player. When 1 player is selected, the BCU is receiving two pulses, effectively stepping over player 2. Home is rivet 1. I tried starting off rivet thinking that would be the starting point. No, it then terminates on ball 4.

The bottom, 4 contact track appears to control the 3 ball, 5 ball, last ball and game over rivets. Once I got into it, makes sense. The rivets clearly map to 3, 5 and Game over. The feet are properly jumped with good continuity checks. But...the signal is not getting to the XB relay. Good signal from top of board, no signal from bottom track. The schematics shows the B relay and Motor 1C in the path to XB. I checked B and ensured that was clean and gapped. Did not check to see if it is actually working...my bad. Will do so. I will also look closer at 1C but so many other things are working through that okay but I’ll revisit.

Thus, does anyone know what Jones plug peg(s) the BCU uses? My thoughts are to check continuity from the BCU to the Jones Plug, then from Jone Plug to B, then to XB. Does that sound correct? Starting to think I have a broken wire of solder joint somewhere.

For imdrunker..good eye. I too noticed that but the pegs and rivets all correctly align. Believe if I remove the triangle plate and rotate it, it will recenter. Will do so tonight and report back.

So close...yet not there. Any thoughts appreciated. In the absence of a Jones Plug map, my next approach is to trace the color code...hard with old eyes...and fine the correct Jones Plug.

OBTW...I can manually trigger XB and game over and match works.

#16 2 years ago

Are you sure the wiper is in the correct position? Mine spun and caused all kinds of issues.
Mike.

#17 2 years ago

Yes, been through it several times and can find nothing amiss. Of interest, it is not centered because I used the wrong set screw position on the flat on the cog shaft. There are two set screws, about 45 degrees apart. You can rotate the flange on the shaft, and either screw will engage the flat. In my case, I chose poorly. Easy fix but all the correct rivets appear to hit accurately.

I did identify the yellow blue wire from rivet 10, lower arm, is the game over...I think. Also found the appropriate Jones plug so the puzzle is giving up some answers.

I did revisit the control bank to test each coil. Of note, Second Player and the SB we’re both 1.6 ohms. Book says that is low...yet those two coils function. All others in the bank are 3.6 to 3.8.

So, very much appreciate you all trying to help. Probably something simple that this new old guy is missing. M

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from mmaston:

The feet are properly jumped with good continuity checks.

Beware that continuity often is not what you want to check for since there can be parallel paths that your meter detects. You might instead start jumpering around switches and/or the Ball Count Unit to see if you can identify where the path is getting broken.

#19 2 years ago

Hello MarkG. Frustration meter exceeding fun factor so time to set it aside for a few days. The same symptoms persist...cannot get it to end the game. 3 or 5 ball, 1 or 2 player, same symptoms. The BCU steps through smoothly and when it reaches the last divot, remains on the second player and allows you to keep playing. That makes sense, as the last divot on the track is ball 5, player two. Suggests the problem is in the lower section with 4 tracks. It just does not get a signal that it’s game over. It is possible I miss soldered the jump wires on the face of the BCU. I have searched for pictures but am unable to determine how it is suppose to be wired. Any advice out there?

I specifically checked the B relay, as the schematic shows that in the path before the game over relay. It appears correct. Could you kindly explain how to jump B to XB in the control bank? Or fire them directly by jumping? Can I take any 6 volt source to the the color coded input?

My thought is to try and get B to fire Last ball and Game over directly. Incan manually function them. Greatly appreciate if you could walk me through that. Asking because I understand the Control Bank reset is high voltage and want to be sure I am correct before going live.

Thank you for helping a guy new to pinball. I am competent in vintage cars..relays are relays but these are a whole bunch of them reluctant to give up their secrets

#20 2 years ago

Hang in there. You'll get through it.

#21 2 years ago

the B relay needs to power. Quick check is when you've stepped up the balls played unit enough times, manually close the B relay (push the armature plate onto the coil top). If XB trips, your problem is getting B to power.

if XB doesn't trip, it may be easier to use a voltmeter.

if you manually close or jumper closed the B relay switch when the balls played unit is stepped up enough, the circuit should be complete from the RED-WH wire on the 10A fuse to the XB relay coil (BL-BLK wire).

one probe on the black wire on any handy 25V coil and other probe anywhere in the XB circuit should show 25VAC. If it drops a lot, you've found the cruddy switch/wiper.

#22 2 years ago

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I’m a new guy still learning and the learning curve is steep.

For baldtwit...thank you for the method to check the coil. I also just found an older post addressed by many of you guys from 72GTO that had a very similar problem. Between that post and your suggestion, I should be able to isolate the issue. Will try again tomorrow. Worse case, I learn something new and further eliminate what it is not. It is easy to see how one can become addicted to and fascinated in restoring these machines...and they are worthy of restoration. The pinnacle of EM technology in its day. SS is nice and able to do so much more but EM has an almost visceral and fully tactile connection that cannot be ignored

#23 2 years ago

For balltwit. Grew up is Mtn. View / Los Altos. Fond memories of hiking in Portola Valley back in the 60s. Still had mountain lions. Yep, Joan Biez up above Foothill College...Feeling my age.

So, Mayfair is giving up a few secrets. B relay works fine. It fires with every manual step of the BCU. It, and the K relay, fire together if pulsed from the ball trough switch. Ball count and players advance correctly. But no pulse to XB. I can watch B fire and XB just sneers back at me. Will check to see if there is a pulse because I believe the QB relay is faulty. Reads 3.7 ohms but appears ajar on contact.

I can manually trip all control bank relays with the exception of QB, the Game Over relay... appears to stick periodically so suspect that may be the issue. The plate is slightly ajar on closure in and does not reset smoothly every time. I will disassemble and investigate as there might be something stuck between the coil and plate. Just a guess but it visually looks wrong

Request...any advice words of wisdom to caution the pinball new old guy before I tear down the control bank? Can I remove a single relay or does the whole thing need to come out. Which is easier? Might be best to take it all apart, and learn. Any advice or steer me to a good resource greatly appreciated. Feels better with something concrete to work on, even if it’s wrong

OBTW....what is the function and how do I check the 2 diodes on the back side of the BCU? They are very warm to the touch. Is that normal? They appear ceramic so acting as a heat sink make sense.

#24 2 years ago

I would exhaust your other options before taking a trip relay bank apart. Have you tried jumpering around various switches to see of you can get the XB relay to fire? Does it fire if you jumper from the right side power rail (red-white wire not labeled earlier) to the blue-black wire on the XB relay coil solder lug?

What you suspect are diodes are more likely 470 ohm, 10 watt resistors that are on most of the time. They're intended to reduce arcing as the Ball Count unit wipers move off contacts as it moves forward.

#25 2 years ago

Thank you for the quick response MarkG. Out of horsepower tonight and will try firing them as you suggest tomorrow with a rested set of eyes. I’d prefer not to tear into the control bank at my current level of experience. Read your older thread with 78GTO. Great stuff with several similarities. Both are providing much needed information on this adventure.

Also thanks on the diode correction. After I pushed send, realized these were resisters...they would normally be warm. Senior moment

#26 2 years ago

Hello MarkG... at the risk of sounding very stupid, where is the red/white Right Side Power Rail? The only common rail wire on the control bank is a soldered bare wire...heavier gauge (it is not red/white) that connects all the coils within the bank. Is that it? That is hot as several relays, to include the second player relay, consistently fires when it is supposed to as does the master bank reset (S relay). It’s a new, new guy question but needed to ask.

Second question...On the BCU, which divot is the start position? One thread stated Gottlieb BCU home was minus 1. Others say it is on divot 1. I have tried both ways. It makes no difference. As I step through, manually or via the though switch, I can watch the player relays smoothly switch back and forth as well as function the B relay. What is curious is after ball five, on the final step, the reset relay closes and illuminates the second player light. There is a single contact in the reset relay that is turning on the second player light and I can manually function it. The question is if both player lights are suppose to illuminate on game over.

If anyone out there has a picture of correctly wired snow shoe jumpers, I would greatly appreciate it. I believe mine are correct as it is my understanding the jumpers augment the hard wired sleeves. Those match.

Appreciate everyone’s patience with me.

#27 2 years ago

Power rail is a generic term for the vertical lines (on a Gottlieb schematic) between which circuits for the various coils or light bulbs are wired.
Mayfair XB relay 2 (resized).jpgMayfair XB relay 2 (resized).jpg
In the schematic above the power rails are the vertical wires on either side. On the left the power rail is a black wire that ties one side of the transformer to most or all of the coils and solenoids. On the right the power rail is a red-white wire from other side of the transformer and through a fuse.

You can also see that the schematic refers to 10 positions on the Balls Played Unit, each one fires the O or P (Player 1 or Player 2) relays. There's no indication that there is an extra position before 0.

Use your jumper wire to sort out where the circuit to the XB relay is broken. Clip one end of the jumper to the red-white wire (which should be widely distributed through the game) and then:
- briefly touch the other end of the jumper to the blue-black wire on the XB relay coil solder lug. The XB relay should trip immediately.
- Reset the XB relay and briefly touch the jumper to the orange-black wire. XB should trip immediately.
- Reset the XB relay and touch the yellow+blue wire. XB should trip if you manually activate the B relay to close the B relay switch.
- Reset the XB relay and clip the jumper to the maroon-white wire leading into the Balls Played Unit. Put the Balls Played unit in position 9. XB should trip when you manually activate the B relay.

One of these tests will fail and should tell you where the issue in the XB circuit is.

#28 2 years ago

Mark G...THANK YOU!!! Your beautiful description is easy for me to understand. I will report back with success tomorrow.

#29 2 years ago

Update. Suspecting some issue with the XB relay. Ohms are 3.7 but it will not consistently fire. When I function it directly from the red/white rail, it will fire...most of the time. When I manually reset it, either using the bar or the lever arm on the coil contacts, it will generally fire again, but, if I repeat this a 3rd + time, it will not fire. If I turn the machine off and go through a complete reset, it will approximately repeat the above. It initially will fire, then intermittently fire on subsequent attempts. It is never consistently. I moved on to 1C with nearly identical results. Jumping from B coil is the same. Sometimes it fires, sometimes not. Blue/white on B also fires XB most of the time like above when you close the relay. Of note, with the BCU on divot 9, functioning from B blue/white also tripped last ball and gave a match. That was encouraging.

Question...when you say reset XB, does that require a full reset of the entire control bank or just the relay? I have tried both with the exact results. Since I am just trying to fire the relay only, believe it should fire anytime I apply power to blue/black or other pathways but need to ask as the current symptoms do not make sense to me.

I have read about magnetized coils. Could this be one of them? I have manually manipulated the relay to ensure it is not stuck closed as well as checked contacts improperly gapped. Yet, the coil will not consistently fire.

Should I replace the XB coil or is this something else? As always, appreciate your tolerance of some basic questions.

#30 2 years ago

If you can't get the relay to reliably trip when jumpered directly to the red-white power rail I would suspect a mechanical issue rather than an electrical issue. I'd check for dirt, extra friction compared to the other trip relays, a misaligned armature, etc. The relay armature may also have been (improperly) greased at some point. A magnetized relay is possible but less likely.

The control bank has a wing nut on each end. If you loosen the wing nuts the entire bank can be rotated up for better access to the undersides. Just be sure to fully reseat the bank and tighten the wing nuts when you're done. Improperly seated control banks are their own category of self inflicted issues.

#31 2 years ago

Thanks MarkG. I’ve rotated the control bank up multiple times to check for binding, loose wires, mechanical and obstructions, etc. I can function each relay by pressing the spring plate. They all will close. The will all reset individually as well as with the master bar. All contacts appear correct with a light check.

The control bank does appear to be slightly misaligned as it does not smoothly seat when lowered into the cradle. I loosened all the bolts to allow it seat correctly but still suspect I need to revisit why it is ajar. Once you tighten the wing nuts it would be torquing it. That could be a source of binding.

Question...If not binding, can I remove, inspect and/or replace a single relay from the control bank or do you need to remove it as a unit. It appears you can partly disassemble the top bracket and remove a single coil. Is that correct? Looks like I am headed toward inspecting the XB relay at some point in this adventure. I’ll revisit the alignment concern to see if I missed something. The machine worked before so I need to find what changed. M

#32 2 years ago

Additional symptoms. If I fire the XB relay from a cold reset (ie...unplug and start new game) it will fire from the rail. I am taking power directly from the red/white from the transformer as well as trying from other red/white leads. If I try to fire it again, it will not fire. I note that every coil in the bank is the same way. They will all fire from a cold reset, then they too will not fire when directly triggered. I can repeat this same response from 1C and B. I can activate tilt and reset and it sometimes allows me to trigger twice. Is the transformer intermittent? Guess I need to check the fuses as well as something is causing this.

This really has my curiosity and am determined to find why. Any ideas are welcomed.

#33 2 years ago

Too many questions to chase down all the specific answers.

Quoted from mmaston:

can I remove, inspect and/or replace a single relay from the control bank or do you need to remove it as a unit.

I honestly don't know. I've never needed to replace a trip relay coil.

Quoted from mmaston:

Additional symptoms. If I fire the XB relay from a cold reset (ie...unplug and start new game) it will fire from the rail. I am taking power directly from the red/white from the transformer as well as trying from other red/white leads. If I try to fire it again, it will not fire. I note that every coil in the bank is the same way.

If they all behave the same way it seems pretty unlikely that they're all bad.

Trip relays only trip once until they're reset. They're like circuit breakers. Applying power to a trip relay that has tripped might not sound like anything if the armature is already touching the end of the coil. Some trip relays have switches to prevent a second firing like these:
Mayfair 1B relay (resized).jpgMayfair 1B relay (resized).jpg
Some trip relays (e.g. Game Over) cut power to other relays.

Does your XB relay trip reliably in any position of the trip relay bank?

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from mmaston:

taking power directly from the red/white from the transformer as well as trying from other red/white leads.

pedantically, the 25V wire on the transformer is red-yellow. Welcome to wire fade

the red-yellow on the transformer becomes red-white on the other side of the 10A fuse.

keep in mind that there are multiple red-white wires in the game. They are not all the same wire, so you need to be careful which one you are attaching to.

often the "power rail" wire is lower gauge (fatter), but not always. It's best to attach your jumper to a spot you know is the wire you want per the schematic. The 10A 25V fuse is guaranteed correct and you can clip on to either side assuming the fuse is good (if it isn't, nothing but a few lights would work).

wrt the relay bank, assuming it's the kind with a couple big wing nut-like screws on the ends you can loosen those and flip the thing up to access the pieces. Make sure you seat the bracket notches all the way onto the screw shafts or the relays may have issues tripping or resetting.

#35 2 years ago

Thanks for the catch on red/white wire fades. I’ll ensure to check colors closer and connect after the fuse.

Understand the trip relay. Should have explained better. A few times, mostly trying to fire from1C, it will trip and then buzz when I attempt to fire it again, not seeing that it has already tripped.

The springs on XB felt weaker than the other relays...and it’s movement felt a wee bit binding. Only noticed when immediately compared to the adjacent relay. Being fully committed now, I partially disassembled the control bank in an attempt to inspect the coil. Did not get that far as was unwilling to desolder things tonight to remove the coil. I did remove the contact plate suspecting something may be stuck or ?? What I did find was what looks like iron filings. The plate appeared to be magnetized slightly as the iron filings align as such.

I guess I could degauss things if it comes to that...not sure how but I’m sure it can be done if new parts are not available. Would require complete disassembled. I know how to degauss a ship, a coil and plate can’t be that hard

I’m also now know why you all advised not to tear into a control bank. So, I cleaned every thing up, got rid of the iron filings (or whatever ferrous material they are) put it back together...those little springs are not fun. I believe the arm retract springs are a bit weak and will replace those tomorrow. Will fire things back up and see where we are. worst case, I now better understand the control bank. Best case, it may work!!! Stay tuned.

#36 2 years ago

per what mark said earlier, trip relay coils are either driven from a pulse (score motor switch) or there's a switch on the relay itself that disconnects the coil as soon as the relay trips.

if you jumper power to a coil, you may get some buzzing because you are typically holding the coil powered longer than the game would. It's mostly wear on the armature plate and coil top that causes the buzz, and it's not a problem ... except when it's the 30 or 115V hold relays or coin lockout coils and the buzzing is annoyingly loud.

if you power the coil of an already tripped relay, buzz may be all you'll notice.

per the schem, XB does not disconnect itself. All you really care about is verifying XB trips when powered ... you're just proving the coil and mechanicals work.

you can manually reset a trip relay by raising the lifter until it latches up.

if you run into a situation where XB always trips when using a jumper directly to the coil, but doesn't reliably trip in game play, then you need to figure out which switch/wiper is causing the problem. A good first guess is the switch creating the pulse ... in this case it's not that easy to figure out since gtb wasn't nice enough to put the timing diagram on the schematic. See https://www.funwithpinball.com/learn/animated-score-motor-circuits for an example which may not be the same as Mayfair.

however, you do know that when the score motor is not running and the balls played unit is at step 4 and 5 (3 ball game) or step 8 and 9 (5 ball game), the only open switch in the XB relay circuit is the B switch ... and you can manually push down the B relay armature to close the switch any time you want.

'course, be aware of side effects. If QB trips, then the XB circuit is disconnected. If the balls played unit steps, make sure it's still on a step closing the circuit.

you can also use a jumper to not care about some of the side effects.

for example, if you do the below then XB should trip if you manually push down the B relay armature regardless of anything else. Manually reset XB and operate B a few times. The key thing is try and operate B the way the game does it ... push the armature down squarely onto the coil top. Don't tilt/rock the armature or push down too hard ... that can make a flaky switch work when it normally wouldn't.

if closing the B relay with the jumper in place works every time, the B relay and motor 1C switch is ok and the issue is probably balls played unit wipers or the PB switch. PB is bypassed at step 5 or 9 of the unit, and QB/SB switches are feeding other circuits ... so what is happening with those narrows down where the issue could be.
mayfair jumper test (resized).jpgmayfair jumper test (resized).jpg

#37 2 years ago

Thanks baldtwit...I tore into the reset bank thinking I had some mechanical issue with XB. It would not reliably trip by hand. It did have some crud between the contact plate and coil. But, in the process of disassembly, I elongated the reset arm springs. So...after a few days to receive them by mail, I now have new springs installed, experienced a steep learning curve on how to rebuild a reset bank...and still have the same problem.

Not to worry. Your information is invaluable in my education and I am committed to learn and figure this out. Thank you for sharing your time

The symptoms are becoming more consistent so it is helping narrow it down. I got it to work correctly once, which is encouraging but I have to jump or manually trip both XB and QB. Then everything, including Match works. Believe I have it surrounded and just need some uninterrupted time to devote to it. Hoping this weekend. There are a few contacts that appear to be amiss.

I appreciate everyone’s patience with the new guy. This is a fascinating hobby and one I probably would not have experienced if it were not for quarantine.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from mmaston:

I got it to work correctly once, which is encouraging but I have to jump or manually trip both XB and QB.

don't worry about QB until you get XB tripping reliably.

XB needs to be tripped, B needs to be powered and score motor 4C has to create a pulse to trip QB. If you are manually tripping XB or using a jumper, the score motor may not be running and/or making pulses at the right time or B state may be wrong. Whenever you are manually changing the game components, it's possible to get the game into an impossible state and things after what you did won't work right.

reset will clean things up unless it's something rare like the tar pit on a 4 million BC where the state is inconsistent if you manually move a ball in/out of the pit.

if stuff just doesn't make sense, the almost never fail approach is disconnect the score motor. Your game is probably too old to have the "service jack" where you could just unplug it, so you have to unsolder a motor wire or stick paper in multiple switch contacts. Jumper the motor so it works and get the game into a state right before you want to see what's going on, then disconnect the motor.

trigger your event ... drain ball, manually close B relay, etc. ... then turn the score motor cams by hand to see what happens as the switches you care about close. You can stop turning at almost any time and see what various units are doing, take meter measurements, or poke/wiggle/whack stuff.

the one gotcha to turning the cams by hand is be careful not to leave solenoids (coils with plungers) powered a long time. Most solenoids will survive 30+ seconds and even letting a little smoke out, but don't leave the 120V ones like the control bank reset powered or the fuse will blow.

it's probably best if you are doing something that will cause the 120V solenoids to power to remove the fuses to them as even turning to cams too slowly will blow those fuses IF the circuit becomes active (normally just when debugging a reset sequence issue).

#39 2 years ago

Great News! Found and corrected the problem. It was the B relay all along. I could consistently fire XB, but when I really looked closer at B, it would fire from Orange Blk from both 1C and B. But it would not fire from Yellow Blue on B, when B was functioned. The contacts looked closed but were not. Old eyes. Anyway, reset the Yellow Blue / Orange Blk contacts on B, made sure they were properly cleaned, and everything now works as it should. I have a few cosmetics to clean up, some loose bulbs, and seal the back glass, but it Plays and resets as it should. Thanks to all for sharing your time to help me through this. I feel a bit stupid having torn through so much when what I really needed was to revisit the basics. But it did add to my education.

3F1FB973-3ACE-44C3-B310-8397CB218FDB (resized).jpeg3F1FB973-3ACE-44C3-B310-8397CB218FDB (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-mayfair-reset-issues?hl=iamdrunker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.