9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

So today I was putting a new spring on my drop target bank and dropped a small retainer into the bottom of my machine. I had to remove the big board with the transformers and fuses, big capacitor, ground strip,etc to get the retainer. When I screwed it back down and turned on my machine to see how the drop targets would function it's just locked up and groaning...lol . Here's a vid of what it's doing. Any ideas where to start ?? Thanks so much for any input.

#2 9 years ago

I don't think it shows in the video, but my coin slots aren't lit anymore. Could this be a slam switch issue? I know the slam switch wasn't ever disabled. I think I'm going to replace the connectors that I unplugged in the bottom cabinet. Those are the only ones I haven't replaced and I disconnected them when I lifted up the board with the transformers on it and that's when the game went bonkers.

#3 9 years ago

I'm sure you've done it but double and triple check every connector you broke to pull the board, one by one, that it's in the right mate and that it's a good connection. Then look around for things you didn't touch on purpose to see all is as it should be (no broken soldered wire connections, etc). Disconnect the MPU power cable and take readings on the power supply board too, especially making sure you still are putting out a good 5v to the MPU. Also, did you unplug the line cord from the wall prior to pulling the bottom board?

#4 9 years ago

I've got parts coming to rebuild the power supply board (which I planned prior to this). And no I didn't unplug the game before pulling the board, it was just powered off

#5 9 years ago

The reason I ask about the line cord is that line voltage is present on the bottom board even when the game is switched off. There's a risk of shorting to ground on any one of the exposed connections (like the transformers) as things/parts are being moving around. But you probably would've noticed that as the spark/flash/noise/smell would've grabbed your attention when it happened!

Still look for a bad connection or broken wire as well as those to the coin door. And check the power supply voltages to verify the MPU is getting the proper 5V it needs to bootup.

#6 9 years ago

When I'm trying to locate a problem, I disconnect all the boards and displays from the game. With only the transformer board connected, I turn the game on and test all power at the fuses. If there's a problem, I find and fix it, then try again. If okay, I turn it off and add the A2 power supply to the game. I turn it on and test the test points on the power supply. If there's a problem, I find and fix it, then try again. If okay, I turn it off and add in the A1 CPU board and the credit display. I turn it on and look for the display to come up. If there's a problem, I find and fix it, then try again. If okay, I turn it off, add another display and try again (Repeat for each display). Then, I add in the A3 driver board and turn it on and look for attract reset and then attract mode of the controlled lights. If there's a problem, I find and fix it, then try again. Repeat for the sound board. By the time you get to this point, your game should be working. Most of the time, it's a connector issue if it stopped working when it worked before. Sometimes, it's operator error, like plugging the wrong connectors together.

Steve

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

........I turn the game on and test all power at the fuses...

Excellent post with great explains what is important - impatience and haste "switched_OFF"

#8 9 years ago

Thanks guys. I should have known better than to just power it off instead of unplugging it. Haven't had to dive in on this problem yet...I will this weekend. Thanks again for the logical approach to problem solving this thing. Sure is a head scratcher when it works one minute, then crazy the next. Lol.

#9 9 years ago

I have a question about replacing the transistor (Q3). Where exactly does the heat sink compound go? Does it go on both sides of the mica insulator ?

#10 9 years ago

I usually don't use the insulator at the power supply heat sink, it's an insulator, you want the heat to transfer from the case to the heat sink. Use a little of the compound instead.

Steve

#11 9 years ago

So ditch the insulator then? When I took it off it had compound on both sides of that insulator ?? It was messy. Lol.

#12 9 years ago

Ugh!! Last thing soldering and I lifted a trace on the IC. Pin #1 in the lower left. What should I do about that? Totally blew my mojo. I was on a roll and lifted that single trace

#13 9 years ago

Here it is....
image.jpgimage.jpg

#14 9 years ago

Wire wrap the pin on the IC and solder it to the existing trace.

#15 9 years ago

Where the pin goes through is the only spot the trace is. It's just a dot that came up. It's not a stripe or anything like that. It's all by itself. Of The 14 pins in the center of the photo it's the bottom left one. Not sure where I'd be soldering to?? I'm a little confused.

#16 9 years ago

I wouldn't worry about that trace as long as it isn't touching anything, Since all the traces are on the underside of that board, you can see that pin isn't used.

Steve

#17 9 years ago

I was going to say...pins 1,8,9 and 14 don't show anything on the schematic.

#18 9 years ago

So, your mojo is still somewhat intact.

Steve

#19 9 years ago

Lol. Barely !

#20 9 years ago

Oh, that.
Missed it when looking at the photo.
What Steve said.

#21 9 years ago

I finished the board. Popped it in. Both LED's lit up(which the 5v one barely lit before) so I shut it off to take a whizz, come back to test the voltage on the power supply board. Turned the game on...no LED's on board lit. Looks like I need to walk away and start from scratch. Grrrrr!!

#22 9 years ago

Mojo = kaput !!

#23 9 years ago

In the bottom checked all fuses and they are good, 3 bridge rectifiers all read between .4 and .6 volts. Not sure what else to check. Steve...you say to check all power at the fuses with the power on. How do I go about doing that??

#24 9 years ago

Do you have a copy of Clay's guide to bulletproofing Gottlieb System 80 machines? If not, I have copies of the CPU repair guide and volumes 1 and 2 of the System 80 repair guides.
If you don't have 'em, you NEED them.
Send me a PM with your regular email address and I'll have them to you tonight.

Greg

#25 9 years ago

Looking at the photo you posted, if it was me, I would reflow the solder on all the pins of that IC. That is the LM723 voltage regulator, is it not?

Greg

#26 9 years ago

Yes it is....

#27 9 years ago

That was freshly installed. Just a lot of reflection off the shiny solder...poor picture !

#28 9 years ago

Now I'm paranoid. Took it apart and double checked my soldering and added some to that chip to be safe.

#29 9 years ago

Hopefully you have that IC facing the correct direction when you put it back in.

Steve

#30 9 years ago

The notch is facing down.

#32 9 years ago

This machine is going backwards...now it just hums with no lights or sound when powered on.

#33 9 years ago

If you need boards looked at, try contacting Chris H here. He does very good board work and could look at them for you.

Steve

#34 9 years ago

I tested voltage on the power supply. 60 is reading around 64, 42 is reading about 46, 8 is reading 1.6 and 5 is reading around .4. Those were off the test points.

#35 9 years ago

The display voltages (60 & 42) are correct with no load on them. The other readings are not good, we need to determine if the problem is a short on the A2 board. When you didn't have the A2 power supply board connected, what were the input voltage readings for the 8VDC and 12VDC lines? Were or are they normal? Did you replace Q3 on the power supply board? If so, did you check it to make sure it was good first? Is there anything else that was touched on the A2 board?

Steve

#36 9 years ago

I did replace Q3. Didn't check to see if it was good first. Everything suggested on pinwiki has been touched on a2 board. I didn't check input 8 and 12 input voltages. If I haven't found what to do and particularly how to do it somewhere....then I have trouble figuring it out since this is my first pin. Looks like system 80 was the wrong one to get my feet wet !!

#37 9 years ago

I never adjusted the new POT1. It wouldn't be turned that low would it ??

#38 9 years ago

As I said before, the 12VDC and 8VDC voltages are not good for the regulated 5VDC. There's another problem going on. With the power supply A2 not plugged in, are all your voltages present and correct coming from the fuses?

Steve

#39 9 years ago

How do you test that Steve ?? Pin 1 and pin 9 of J1 ??

#40 9 years ago

I mean the plug that goes on j1....

#41 9 years ago

Not sure how to test all the voltages with the power on at the fuses....i feel like the way things are going I'll blow something up. Lol.

#42 9 years ago

SHOUL I test the positive leads coming off the bridge rectifiers with the power on? Red on positive, black on ground strip, meter set to V and dc (at say 200) ??

#43 9 years ago

Here's what I get coming out of the fuses at the bottom. F1-0, F2-6.2, F3-5.2, F4-7.9, F5-6.2, F6-18.5 and F7-109.4. This is without J1 plugged in.
With J1 plugged in I get F1-0, F2-6.6, F3-5.0, F4-7.7, F5-6.7, F6-18.4, F7-41.3

Fyi. F1 fuse is blown, so that's why it is zero.

These were with my multimeter set to V and AC at a value of 200....black on the ground strip and red on the wire coming out of each fuse.

#44 9 years ago

When we talked on the phone, I wasn't thinking straight, sorry about that. I'm going to assume since there is voltage of some kind at the fuses, that they are the correct voltages, I just had you placing the black lead on the wrong place. However, just to be sure ...

Looking at the schematic (now, and not depending on faulty memory), I see that you need to read the F5 fuse power at the bridge rectifier with your red lead on the red-orange-orange wire and your black lead on the red-yellow-yellow wires. Your meter needs to be set on AC. You should see 12VAC or higher with no load.

Next, we need to know what the DC voltage is coming out of the bridge rectifier. Set your meter to DC and put your black lead on the ground buss. The red lead needs to be on the red-black-black wire. You should see 12VDC or higher with no load.

If you have the correct voltages here and you still have no LED's on the A2 power supply, as I said on the phone, it's very possible that the solder around the input connector pins to the A2 has failed and will need to be repaired.

If you don't have a working fuse in F1, you won't get any displays once the power issue is corrected.

Steve

#45 9 years ago

At the bridge rectifier...11.9 AC, 12.0 DC. These are with J1 unplugged. 11.7 AC and 9.5 DC with J1 plugged in. Both LEDs lit. All vdc at the test points are good except 5v is at 3.3 with pot turned all the way down and 4.1 with it all the way up.

#46 9 years ago

Does that mean the IC chip is belly-up?

#47 9 years ago

4.1VDC is a little too low to run the CPU board although I have seen it boot that low before. Now the LED's are lit? What's changed? I still think you'll have to re-flow the solder at the header pins before I can say where to look next, they are suspect. Always connectors first, diagnosis second. Remember what I said on the phone, resistance ..... bad.

Steve

Quoted from Gr8snook09:

At the bridge rectifier...11.9 AC, 12.0 DC. These are with J1 unplugged. 11.7 AC and 9.5 DC with J1 plugged in. Both LEDs lit. All vdc at the test points are good except 5v is at 3.3 with pot turned all the way down and 4.1 with it all the way up.

#48 9 years ago

I cleaned all the fuse holders. I'll definitely replace the header pins when they show up Monday!!

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Remember what I said on the phone, resistance ..... bad.
Steve

That's what made me decide to clean all the fuse holders...they looked dirty. Figured it couldn't hurt !!

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Always connectors first, diagnosis second.

Take care abut it !!

Did you measure voltage (+5V) with or without plugged (output) connectors on power supply board ?!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-mars-god-of-war-new-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.