• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster! I just picked up a Gottlieb Magnotron at auction. My first EM machine after 5 SS machines.

I'm having all sorts of issues, ranging from the "0" contacts on the decagon score reels not operating like I want (and need!) them to, to buzzing flipper and bank reset coils, to the player motor not ratcheting properly all the time, to not advancing to the next ball when the ball enters the drain.

For the score reels, I'm just going to try and buy new contacts. I think they have been bent so many times over the years that the metal has lost it's ability to spring a little. Is this about right?

For the buzzing coils, I've put new sleeves and slugs in and replaced the shafts, but that really hasn't helped so I'm just going to replace the coils. There isn't much apart from sleeves and slugs is there?

The player motor...I think I may just have to play with spring tensions. Should the contacts on the back be lubricated? Any special type of electrical lube you know of?

I think I've figured out why when the ball drains without touching any of the bonus roll overs, it doesn't advance to the next ball. If you score a bonus, the ball is held in the drain until the bonus score has been added, then the kicks the ball to the ramp, the "P" switch closes , then through Motor 1C and the "P" switch, it advances the ball count. However if the ball drains without a bonus, it kicks the ball out straight away and the "P" switch closes before the score motor has stopped turning. If I manually close the "P" switch, the ball count advances and onwards we go.

I wondered if the score motor was turning too slowly, could it be binding in the bearing? So I've taken the score motor apart and noticed the part number of B-7760. Searching online it appears its a 60Hz Motor? If so, that would explains a few things as I'm in Australia, and we are 50hz. Does anyone have a part number for the 50Hz motor, or have one that they are willing to swap for a working 60Hz motor? I'd cover all expenses for that.

#2 2 years ago

Regarding the motor - the 50 Hz motor part number is B-11550.

I really doubt that it is causing any of your current issues - the 60 Hz motor, running at 50 Hz, is about 20% slower than the 50 Hz motor would be.

If the slower duration of a the 500 point chimes (or bonus count down) begin to annoy you, a motor swap is the way to correct the issue, but I don't think it is a factor in getting your machine running currently.

#3 2 years ago

Check the open switches on P, maybe one needs to be open a little more. Or a switch motor. Looking at another string for jumping Jack, it was motor 4C that kicked the ball, maybe thats gapped too close.

Howard you have a dia snipit?

And yes I'll agree with DaMoib, the 60Hz motor is not the issue...

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Howard you have a dia snipit?

Sure, what section are you looking for?

Quoted from pinhead52:

The circuit for the ball kicker

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5 2 years ago

From your description... sounds like contact 4c is gaped too tight/always closed. you can look at the timing chart but I think 4C is fairly late in the cycle

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bay Shore, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-magnotron-ball-advance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.