• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2508 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2500 (resized).JPG
Doc Sep 07, 2021, 6.24 (dragged).pdf (PDF preview)
Doc Sep 07, 2021, 6.24.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_2496 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 8.14.35 PM (resized).png
score motor (resized).jpg
IMG_2493 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I just purchased my first pinball machine, Magnotron, and being somewhat versed in EM machines from my youth I thought this would be a great project but I hit a sort of dead-end and I need help.

With saying that this machine is in almost perfect condition. I bought a kit to replace all the rubbers, lights, springs balls, etc. The only remaining issue I have is some of the lights are not engaging when activated. Specifically the ABC lights above the rollovers and throughout the playing field, pop bumpers, and special lights. Scoring works great but the lights are not being activated. I have the schematics and I have located the relays for each. I haven't gone any further than cleaning the switch contacts with IPA with no luck.

I have noticed when engaging a rollover the relay does energize though it does not de-energize when hitting it again or any other rollover. From my experience with other machines when hitting the same rollover these lights tend to deactivate. I'm not particularly familiar with this game so I'm not completely sure if this is typical or not.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Mark

IMG_2493 (resized).jpgIMG_2493 (resized).jpg

Added over 3 years ago:

This post is an ongoing thread containing any and all issues related to the pinball machine Magnotron. Could also include issues with Doutron since it is closely related.

#2 2 years ago

To get your play field lights working try cleaning that 3D score motor switch at the top left of the schematic. Also, once you make A B C, they stay lit until the ball drains.

#3 2 years ago

Studentprince thanks! Any idea where I could locate the 3D motor? Also good to know about the lights. Though I watched some gameplay and I thought I noticed the lights turning on and off during. Either way thanks.

#4 2 years ago

Have a look inside the cabinet on the left. There should be a diagram of the score motor telling you what each switch does. Yes, the lights go out whenever the score motor runs and they come back on when the motor stops. They go out when the ball drains and you have to make A B C again.

#5 2 years ago

Gottlieb score motor switches are labeled with a number (1-4) and a letter (A-E). The number refers to which switch stack it is around the platters of the score motor looking down from above. The letter refers to the level of the switch - A being the lowest level and E being the highest. You're lucky in that the 3D switch will be on the third stack (hopefully, your score motor has some yellow labels to identify the positions), and up probably in the top level, so it will be easy to get to. Inspect it visually to see if it's opening/closing as the score motor turns, and clean the contacts.

Motor 3D should be closed when the motor is in its home position, and open most of the rest of the time when it's moving.

score motor (resized).jpgscore motor (resized).jpg
#6 2 years ago

@studentprince, paulace thank you both!

So even though there is no issue with scoring this 3D motor could and does affect lighting? Interesting. I'll take a look and come back with nay new findings.

#7 2 years ago

3D is referring to the set of switches in the #3 position on the score motor. The score motor is the big contraption on the bottom left of the relay board. The switch at 3D is referring to motor position 3, level D as shown on the drawing.

#8 2 years ago

paulace Studentprince found the issue! The very top switch (3D) on the motor never makes contact or closes. What do I do in this case, bend it back a little?

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 8.14.35 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-09-03 at 8.14.35 PM (resized).png
#9 2 years ago

Yes, just bend the outer-most blade (the one without the white spacer on it) so that it touches the other contact when the score motor is in the rest or home position, but opens once the motor starts rotating.

Bend switch blades where they come out of the stack - not along the length of the blade. A switch bending tool is great, but alot of people use needle-nose pliers, if you have those around. Bend the blade so the contacts make contact and slide against each other just a bit....insures you have a good connection and helps keep them clean.

#10 2 years ago

paulace thank you so much for your help. I was able to fix the issue. Everything is working as expected.

IMG_2496 (resized).JPGIMG_2496 (resized).JPG
#11 2 years ago

Glad you got it working. Nice looking game!

#12 2 years ago

Yes, nice looking game. Good to hear that its working again. I like the operators sticker too.

#13 2 years ago

paulace @studentprince, turns out there is still one small issue I did not catch the first time around. When the ball drains and hits on the right side rollover of the playing field and the C light is lit I do not get the whole bonus. In the photo, I should get 3k points but I do not get any points when the ball drains on this side. I don't believe it's the switch of the rollover because when the light is not lit you do receive the 500 points plus bonus. I checked some of the switches on the motor and some of the relays but reading these kinds of schematics is new to me. Plus I am not sure what the correct name is for this rollover. I was thinking it was the bonus booster but turns out that is the ball in the middle that you hit from one side to the other. Not at all correct.

I've attached the playing field annotated and the full schematics.

IMG_2500 (resized).JPGIMG_2500 (resized).JPGDoc Sep 07, 2021, 6.24.pdfDoc Sep 07, 2021, 6.24.pdfDoc Sep 07, 2021, 6.24 (dragged).pdfDoc Sep 07, 2021, 6.24 (dragged).pdf

#14 2 years ago

One of the make/break switches on the Cx relay changes the rollover scoring function from one feature to another.

#15 2 years ago

pinballdaveh thanks I will take a look at that switch. After I figure out the below issue.

Turns out now I have a larger issue. After playing the game for a while with my girlfriend now the machine won't reset. It's stuck on the fourth player resetting the tens of thousands value. Gets stuck there and just repeats. I have no idea what to do.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from outerorbit:

the machine won't reset. It's stuck on the fourth player resetting the tens of thousands value. Gets stuck there and just repeats.

The 4th Player Ten Thousands Runout switch is stuck closed or shorted somehow. It's one of the 3 switch stack in the 4th player's 10,000 score reel.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#17 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

The 4th Player Ten Thousands Runout switch is stuck closed or shorted somehow. It's one of the 3 switch stack in the 4th player's 10,000 score reel.
[quoted image]

Thanks @howardr. It is stuck and I was able break the connection for it to reset all the way. I also opened up the reel and was able to get it unstuck and reset it back to zero. However I dont think this is going to be a permanent fix. Any idea why it would have been stuck in the first place?

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from outerorbit:

Thanks HowardR. It is stuck and I was able break the connection for it to reset all the way. I also opened up the reel and was able to get it unstuck and reset it back to zero. However I dont think this is going to be a permanent fix. Any idea why it would have been stuck in the first place?

It seems to be related to some other function that is not allowing the 10 thousand value to reset.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from outerorbit:

Any idea why it would have been stuck in the first place?

Things go out of adjustment sometimes

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Things go out of adjustment sometimes

HowardR how do I fix this issue then? What's happening now the 4th player ten thousands reel is not activating when being reset it then forces the switch contact close and it repeats the cycle on the motor until either I manual cycle the reel or stop it by other means.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from outerorbit:

it then forces the switch contact close and it repeats the cycle

That's a lot of pronouns so I have no idea what you're trying to tell me.

There are 4 switches on most score reels:

1. The end-of-stroke switch. This opens when the score reel solenoid reaches the coil stop. It appears that your 10k reels don't have this.

2. The 9th position switch. Your 10k reel doesn't have this because its purpose is to carry to the next higher score reel (e.g. 90 -> 100 or 900 -> 1000)
  3. A zero position switch that opens when the score reel reaches zero. This tells the Z2 relay that the reel has reached zero. Schematic 20.5 G
  4. Another zero position switch that opens when the score reel reaches zero. This tells the Score reel to stop resetting. Schematic 18 F

So your 10k score reels have only 2 switches each. Can you find them?

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

So your 10k score reels have only 2 switches each. Can you find them?

HowardR thanks and sorry for all the pronouns and horrible writing skills, it never was my forte. So bare with me, this is all new.

Yes, it does have 4 switches and I am sure they are all the ones you mentioned above. From what I can see, all four switches on the 10k reel are either open or closed at one time. So if there is nothing else mechanically wrong with the reel. What is keeping it from continuing the runout/reset process and letting the 10k reel reach zero? The 10k reel advances just fine when scoring but the coil does not seem to be engerized during runout/reset. The coil doesnt make any noise, does not appear to be stressed, and is not functioning during this phase nor is it jammed in anyway.

Could it be some other switch on the motor or on a relay like you mentioned above, perhaps Z2?

IMG_2508 (resized).JPGIMG_2508 (resized).JPG
#23 2 years ago
Quoted from outerorbit:

It's stuck on the fourth player resetting the tens of thousands value. Gets stuck there and just repeats.

Here you say that the 4th player 10k score reel goes around and around without stopping at zero during reset.

Quoted from outerorbit:

10k reel advances just fine when scoring but the coil does not seem to be engerized during runout/reset.

Now you say the opposite, namely that the 4th player 10k score reel doesn't move during reset.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from outerorbit:

It's stuck on the fourth player resetting the tens of thousands value. Gets stuck there and just repeats.

Here I am referring to the motor in this instance and it repeating because the 4th player tens reel is not advancing. Could possibly be the coil or some other switch. That I don't know.

Quoted from outerorbit:

The 10k reel advances just fine when scoring but the coil does not seem to be engerized during runout/reset.

Here I am referring to the issue at hand but clarified with more context to allow others to understand more of why I am asking for help.  

Listen HowardR I appreciate your help so far but I'm just looking for help. If you want to beat me up about pronouns and not being clear enough you can do that. It won't get us anywhere besides you having some sort of enjoyment out of it. Instead, you could ask me to be more clear and I would be happy to do that. I'm sure others in this community have worse writing than I do. If that's what you want, find someone else to pick on.

The end goal here just like any other community is to seek advice from others that have the same passion as you do. If you don't think you're willing to share your knowledge with me that's fine. I can wait for the next person to lend me some of their time and help with the issues I am facing.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from outerorbit:

I also opened up the reel and was able to get it unstuck and reset it back to zero. However I dont think this is going to be a permanent fix. Any idea why it would have been stuck in the first place?

Also, I believe this quote explains the issue. Maybe you didn't catch this or it wasn't clear enough that the tens reel was stuck at a value and I had to manually reset it.

#26 2 years ago

I was just trying to understand the symptom you're seeing. I don't appreciate mind-readers assuming bad intent on my part.
Listen, @mbenivegna, it sounds like we're not communicating, so someone who can understand you better should help you.

Best of luck!!

#27 2 years ago

This issue is likley caused by one of the score reel switch being out of adjustment.

Have you compared the reel switch positions on the reel that is not resetting to one of the other 3 10k reels?

#28 2 years ago

I figured it out, but I’m not giving away the answer.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

Lol.. I'm the fool. I come to the em forum to relax from the coronavirus thread.

#30 2 years ago

Quoted from bonzo71:

Lol.. I'm the fool. I come to the em forum to relax from the coronavirus thread.

Thanks for lightening the mood, bonzo71 and pinballdaveh !!! Much appreciated!

#31 2 years ago

If it wasn’t for HowardR’s advice the other advice helpers would be overwhelmed and a lot of people would be scratching their heads trying to figure out what to do next. Look for a local EM repair person if you can find one or learn what you can on it.

#33 2 years ago

In martial arts, if a student argues with or disrespects his sensei. The sensei might make an example out of the student in front of the whole class, or just ask the student to leave.
Thank you sensei HowardR.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

Have you compared the reel switch positions on the reel that is not resetting to one of the other 3 10k reels?

I have not compared the reel to any others yet. Thanks for the idea and suggestion. I will take a look at this later today.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Best of luck!!

Thanks Howard, again I do appreciate your time and knowledge as I do anyone else that lends any bit of advice. It was clearly a communication breakdown in this instance. This happens almost all the time in my career when we communicate over text/email. It can be solved rather easily by jumping on a quick call but unfortunately we don't have that option here.

pinballdaveh There are a few local EM techs that I have reached out to that are willing to help. I thought since I have some experience in electronics that this could be something I could take on myself as a project. Just like any other project, there is a learning curve, a set of new skills to learn and that comes with time and help from others. I am no expert, I know this thats why I always ask for help.

I don't want to burn any bridges here because without all of you I honeslty wouldn't have gotten this far.

#36 2 years ago

Quick update:

I've compared reel with other tens reels. The positions seem to be functioning as normal. I filed all 4 contacts on the reel. Cleaned the pcb and greased everything based on the video below. Dave if thats you in the video thank you. The reel advances fine manually. But still is stuck during reset at the last number it was on. Almost like the coil is not even being activated as I mentioned before.

The only option I have left is reading the schematic closer. Unless anyone else has any advice. Thanks.

#37 2 years ago

I can’t take credit for another mans educational video. I don’t have a great beard like he has. The video was made by two of the smartest minds in EM pinball. Btw great video and thank you.

#38 2 years ago

Give the wires on the reel a gentle tug. If they are tight, then id inspect the z1 and z2 relays in the head.

#39 2 years ago

Found the issue it was in the Z2 relay. One of the make break switches was really mangled. I'm not sure how it got that way. I've played quite a few 4 player games in the short time that I've owned this machine. But I guess that's the nature of EMs. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Now on to the last small problem I have with the bottom right rollover and bonus associated with it. pinballdaveh suggested where to look I am going to investigate that this weekend when I can find some time.

One of the make/break switches on the Cx relay changes the rollover scoring function from one feature to another.

Thanks again!

#40 2 years ago

That right lane rollover might have two stacked switches ..one for 500 and the other for the lit bonus. If there are 2, make sure they both close when activated.

#41 2 years ago

bonzo71 thank you! I was able to locate the switch on the CX relay that is associated to that rollovers feature when lit and it was barley off adjustment. I adjusted the switch and now all is good. The Magnotron is now fully operational!

Thanks again to those that helped me get this machine up and running. Let's hope it stays that way for a little while.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bay Shore, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-magnotron-abc-rollovers-pop-bumpers-amp-special-lights?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.