• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

light socket pic1 (resized).JPG
light socket pic2 (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

I recently traded an EM machine for another. But the one I traded had a short and it kept blowing the GI light circuit fuse. This just so happened to occur after I changed many of the bulbs on the machine. Luckily the trading partner was a lot smarter than I, and he told me it was a short in the strip light socket and fixed himself and was no big deal for him.

With the hope i can ovoid this in the future, I am asking what causes the short on the strip light socket?

It looks like power is supplied on one side onto the strip itself and then return side (is that correct?) is wired to the individual bayonettes.

Also, why does the pin on the bottom side pop out when a bulb is inserted? It seems counterintuitive to me.

If the insulator were to pop out on the bayonette....then you would get a direct short circuit...correct?

If the wire on the bayonette were to make direct contact with the strips metal assembly (see pic) ---then that would cause the short also? Thinking yes to all of these...but dont want to assume anything.

Where would you get corrosion on the bayonette that would cause poor connection? Can you just clean it off with a dremel tool or abrasive pad ?

light socket pic1 (resized).JPGlight socket pic1 (resized).JPGlight socket pic2 (resized).JPGlight socket pic2 (resized).JPG
#2 1 year ago

The button you see pops up when you install a lamp because its on a spring - when you put the lamp in, the ears are forcing the bottom of the bulb to contact the rod that holds the button. Take the bulb out, the button drops back down.

Yes, the wire is usually the return, and is controlled by the driver board, so the rail is always hot. A bent tab results in a short. If the fiber washer disappears, you will likely have a short.

Pinball Resource has a giant size length of what looks like a pencil eraser to clean the inside of the sockets and the contact at the bottom of the socket. Yes, you can use a dremel with a metal brush to clean, but keep in mind that the bristles can shed, and a single strand of the wire can cause a short or cause a switch to appear closed. Personally, I like the tool that PBResource sells, but there are other options out there from other vendors. Search this website for cleaning light sockets.

#3 1 year ago

Yes...thanks Bill...

I was looking at it some more --and I do see that is just a spring that is popping out ---i think to create back pressure on the bulb for better connection.

Let me ask a follow up ......If the barrel can be easily rotated around ---with little to no resitance ---then doesnt that mean the connection between the power supply and the barrell (and thus the circuit) is compromised? Should that barrel turn is that a sign it is loose and no good anymore? Can you solder around the outer edge to repair this?

I have one of those tools you mention...from PBR ---It seems if there is corrosioin you are worried about causing a bad connection it is INSIDE that barrel. Correct? You are not worried about any potential corrosion between the spring pin and the return wire etc. Am i getting that right?

#4 1 year ago

You have all of that correct dsupica
Typical repair of "loose cans" is to sand/burnish the outside of the can where it meets the metal strip, burnish the metal strip too, flux, solder. This creates a solid connection.

Another solution is to replace the lamp strip with individual lamps.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#5 1 year ago

Throw it away, replace with individual sockets. You won't regret it.

#6 1 year ago

thank you all for your responses.

I believe I am just starting to make some ground on understanding these EM machines thanks to all the great help this site has.

In fact, if it were not for pinside and a few other sites, I am pretty sure I wouldnt know jack about these machines.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-light-socket-strip-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.