• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240303_002158 (resized).jpg
2013-09-29 13.29.35.jpg
#1 10 years ago

So ive been working on my Captain Kidd and now i want some originalish legs.

I know that they were metal and creme white which would match the coin door so ill have to get some and paint them.

The real question is what size should they be. Its 1960 and multiplayer. I currently have it set up on 29s and it seems too high. I know the single players used 31s but i think that would come up to my chest or so...

Does anyone have a multiplayer Gottlieb from that year or so that can tell me what length they should be??

Thanks,
Jeff

2013-09-29 13.29.35.jpg2013-09-29 13.29.35.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Jeff there is a simple remedy to this question. Call up Steve at pinball resource. Not only will he tell you the proper size it came with but he may have some already painted. If they seem too tall already then you may not like his answer of 31 inches.

#3 10 years ago

Unfortunately it takes a decoder ring to figure this out sometimes. I usually just order via email from PBR and supply the game name but no part number. In your case it is more difficult because you want the white legs. PBR has some but they are 31". I put 31" legs on a target Alpha by mistake. My friend dubbed it "chinball".

http://www.pbresource.com/legs.html

#4 10 years ago

I can measure the cream white legs on my '56 Fair Lady tomorrow, it's also a multi player woodrail so I believe they'll be the correct size.

Steve Young sells 31" powdercoated cream legs for mid-late 1950s Gottliebs, not sure if that helps because you said yours felt high at 29".

Cheers,
Art

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Unfortunately it takes a decoder ring to figure this out sometimes. I usually just order via email from PBR and supply the game name but no part number. In your case it is more difficult because you want the white legs. PBR has some but they are 31". I put 31" legs on a target Alpha by mistake. My friend dubbed it "chinball".
http://www.pbresource.com/legs.html

anything after 1975's Abra-Ca Dabra will be shorter than 31" legs like the Target Alpha, Royal Flush, Volley, Surfer etc. Those games have deeper cabinets

#6 10 years ago

thank you. I figure If i figure out the correct size ill find some beaters and sand em down and spray paint them.

Im gonna have to do the door and top arch also so they will all match

--Jeff

#7 10 years ago

Gottlieb only used two leg lengths: 31" and 27". They were all 31" (AFAIK) until they started using the 27" with the deeper cabinets on Spirit of 76 and later. Even the wood legs were 31" on the woodrails.

Looking at the Capt. Kidd flyer, I'd say they were 31". But another data point from a similar game, or Steve, would be awesome too.

#8 10 years ago

^^^^I couldn't have typed it better!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Gottlieb only used two leg lengths: 31" and 27". They were all 31" (AFAIK) until they started using the 27" with the deeper cabinets on Spirit of 76 and later.

I believe this to be true for all single players. Same issue applies to my Big Top which is also a different cab style.

Its this bit from Steves web site that has me questioning it

Gottlieb® 1956-1975 31''

Single Player Only -Painted usually to 1960
-( Legs used on Multi-Players games vary in length)

#10 10 years ago

Those 31" Cream legs Steve sells were originally chrome ones that he had powder coated when he wasn't satisfied with the plating. That doesn't mean they're the only size used during that era. I'll measure mine in the morning and report back.

From Steve Young/PBR website:

"We encountered a batch of steel when making the last batch of 31" chrome legs that did not give an acceptable plated surface......what to do? We decided to make a test batch of cream white 31" legs to salvage the batch. These legs were used in the mid to end 1950's by Gottlieb®. There were 3 "color schemes" that were used in this timeframe...chrome, cream white and red...the legs matched the metal front door color. These are power coated and look great. Due to the circumstances, pricing is same as the chrome 31" leg. We hope you enjoy them! Part number is LEG-31W."

#11 10 years ago

So another way to approach it is the overall height from the floor to the top of the playfield glass (or lockdown bar) in front. Should be around 38" (give or take). Set up side by side with other Gottliebs, the cabinets should all end up at around the same height (the backboxes may be at different heights). And that's with the front levelers run all the way in.

If it's higher than 38"-39", then the legs are probably too long.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

So another way to approach it is the overall height from the floor to the top of the playfield glass (or lockdown bar) in front. Should be around 38" (give or take). Set up side by side with other Gottliebs, the cabinets should all end up at around the same height (the backboxes may be at different heights). And that's with the front levelers run all the way in.

If it's higher than 38"-39", then the legs are probably too long.

Dirt, you are a brilliant man. That a perfect way and it should correlate nicely with Arts findings i suspect

--Jeff

#13 10 years ago

It's good to see an old classic game in good hands. Please keep us posted in your project Jeff.

#14 10 years ago

Hey Jeff, just got to my studio. 27" is the leg length on my 1956 Fair Lady. (Gottlieb multi-player woodrail with cream colored metal legs) It is sitting between a Hayburners 2 and a Xenon. With the front levelers adjusted the way I have them, all 3 machines are within a half inch of each other at the front rail height. I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Art.

#15 10 years ago

Art,
thank you. I suspected as much. That length seems like it would match up with teh calculation that Dirt has put forward as well.

Now off to find a set of old 27 to refurb

--Jeff

#16 10 years ago

That's great info! So a newer set of the 27" legs could be media blasted and then painted the cream/ivory color and look very nice.

(I've never had a Gottlieb multi-player woodrail pass through the collection before, so duly noted!)

10 years later
#17 51 days ago

Thanking you guys for helping me figure out the leg length for my 1960 Gottlieb Lite-a-Card..
Did you confirm the 27" legs were correct?

20240303_002158 (resized).jpg20240303_002158 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-leg-size-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.