You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Lawman Schematic (resized).jpg
Lawman Start Sequence (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hello Pinside, My Lawman has been playing 100% for the last year or so until a few days ago. When just powering game on it goes through a reset cycle with Player Unit stepping to player 1 ball 1, Bonus Stepper stepping, the Ball Return coil fires, Target Bank resetting, and finally Control Bank resetting. This happens without pressing Replay Button but everything resets fine and stops after control bank resets. Then when pressing Replay Button all these things cycle again but never stop. The Player Unit continues to step, the Bonus Unit continues to step, the Target Bank continues to reset, the Ball Return coil continues to fire, and the score motor continues to run as the Total Play Meter continues to increment with every cycle.

One other thing to mention is that the Score Reels do all reset to "0" as they should. The credit wheel decrements as it should.

Another thing to mention is that I found a hack from a previous owner, there was a deliberately placed piece of cardboard in score motor position 4A on closest switch to the cam just on the outside of the switch dog. I removed the hack so not sure if that is compounding my issues.

Posting the start sequence and a portion of schematic.

Following the start sequence on power on it makes it to step 6. I don't think it should even start the sequence until the Replay Button is pressed buy this starts on just power on.

Not sure where to begin on this one.

Lawman Start Sequence (resized).jpgLawman Start Sequence (resized).jpgLawman Schematic (resized).jpgLawman Schematic (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Try adjusting that switch sometimes switches do need adjusting from time to time

#3 4 years ago

Reply sent in private message

#4 4 years ago

From private message from OP Silver_Balls :
Symptoms changed in Lawman. Now just turning power switch on starts the score motor and keeps running. I tried adjusting SB relay switches in Reset Bank, switches seem good when I pivot the Reset Bank in the up position.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

turning power switch on starts the score motor and keeps running.

One (or more) of these switches is closed and keeping the score motor running. Which one(s)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6 4 years ago

It was the SB switch in the reset bank. Now power up is normal. However.... the moment I press the Replay Button the Target Bank coils fire and keep firing (Target Bank Reset Relay (I) does not fire but coils do), the Bonus Unit keeps stepping, the Player Unit keeps stepping, the Subtract Replay Unit goes to "0" (doesn't matter if there was 1 credit or 15 credits it drains to "0". The only way I can stop this is to turn power off.

Also after power on instead of pressing Replay Button I add a game by making coin chute switch the Add credit steps to 15 very fast as all the other devices mentioned above keep cycling.

#7 4 years ago

Page 2 of the Lawman manual has the startup sequence. Do you have it? How far is it getting?

#8 4 years ago

Yes, I have it and is in my first post. Makes it to step 6, but while it is resetting the score reels to 0 the target bank coils fire repeatedly and continue to fire along with the player unit stepping and the bonus unit stepping and they continue to fire & step after the score reels are at 0.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Silver_Balls:

target bank coils fire repeatedly

This looks to be normal since the target bank coils are activated by switches on S, SB and motor 4C.

along with the player unit stepping and the bonus unit stepping and they continue to fire & step after the score reels are at 0.

This seems normal
The player unit should continue to step until it reaches its position zero.
The Subtract Bonus unit solenoid should continue to activate until the Control bank activates.

Makes it to step 6

I have no idea if you mean that it gets as far as completing step 5 but then doesn't complete step 6.
Make it easy for us to help you!
If it makes it to. step 6 but doesn't complete step 6, does the Player unit make it to its position zero, where the 1st and 5th cams activate their switches?

#10 4 years ago

Finally this is resolved. While doing a thorough inspection of all the relays, switches, & score motor, I found a white spacer broken off lying under the score motor. This spacer is the one on motor 2B, closest to the post on B level. This was causing the first switch on motor 2B to make all the time. After breaking off the post on B level of the score motor would never contact the switches.

I used Gorilla glue and a small clamp to glue the spacer back on and let dry overnight. Problem fixed.

Thank you HowardR & pinmike for your assistance.

#11 4 years ago

Finally this is resolved. While doing a thorough inspection of all the relays, switches, & score motor, I found a white spacer broken off lying under the score motor. This spacer is the one on motor 2B, closest to the post on B level. This was causing the first switch on motor 2B to make all the time. After breaking off the post on B level of the score motor would never contact the switches.
I used Gorilla glue and a small clamp to glue the spacer back on and let dry overnight. Problem fixed.
Thank you HowardR & pinmike for your assistance.

Sounds great buddy sorry I really wasn’t much help,on majority of these older pins it’s switches become misadjusted.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-lawman-1971-start-new-game-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.