• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hi all. I have a new King Rock project, and I was hoping I could get further before posting here. I'm hoping someone can provide me some direction. When I turn the machine on, there are no lights anywhere, except for a lone coin slot light. When I press start, I get a one third turn of the score motor and it stops. Every time I press the button, I get another one third turn. The start relay fires, along with the replay button relay. The hold relay also fires and locks. That's about it. The start relay does not lock like it should. I have investigated the many tilt switches and bounce switches and I believe I have them all in the right state. I do have a question about the tilt switches, though. On the schematic, they are all three in a parallel and are all normally open. When I test the continuity on both sides of these switches, it buzzes. Does that mean at least one of them is closed? Anyway, I'm unsure if a tilt switch would be to blame for these other issues. If I close the tilt relay, some of the lights on the playfield come on so there is power there. I can't get anything in the backbox to do anything, no lights, no relays. The only exception is that if I add a credit to the credit wheel manually, the knocker fires (in the cabinet). It's all very confusing. Any thoughts on where to look next? Many thanks in advance.

#2 5 years ago

Here's the startup sequence from the King Rock manual. How far is it getting?

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#3 5 years ago

Thanks for posting that. I don't get too far unfortunately. I get past #1 and then the lock on part in #2 doesn't happen. Step 3 does happen, but it never gets to 4, presumably because there's no closed switch on the "S" relay.

#4 5 years ago

If the Start relay (S) doesn't lock on for 1/3 motor revolution, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#5 5 years ago

Thanks again for the clip. I'm sure this will help a lot. I have looked into the anti-cheat switch and score motor, but this will help me focus better. I'll let you know what I find out.

#6 5 years ago

I worked on it a bit today and no luck yet. I think something is just slightly off because a few times the score motor kept turning past a third of a turn, maybe making up to two revolutions. I figure that if I can get it constantly spinning then I'm on to the next problem.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-king-rock-startup-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.