Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jaydee49
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I am having a couple issues with my Gottlieb King Pin. I am novice when it comes to repair but hoping it might be an issue with relays needing to be cleaned or something.

When game starts up, everything is fine, reels go to zero, ball kicks over to plunger, etc. to start play. Only issue is everything (flippers, etc.) is frozen. So I have to shoot the ball and let it drain. After that everything is normal stays at Ball 1 and plays fine.

Issue #2. The ball in play "number" on the backglass sometimes takes a while to go to the next ball. Sometimes it's instantaneous as it should be, other times it takes 10-15 seconds, and other times it takes a minute or seemingly not at all. If the ball drains before it switches over (from 2 to 3 for example), I end up getting an extra ball out of it.

Any ideas? I do have manual/schematics. Thanks in advance, sorry for any newbie questions. =)

#2 3 years ago

Your second issue sounds like the player unit in the head is sluggish. A brown circular board with some spring-loaded "snowshoe" contacts on that player unit should rotate one position in one direction each time the solenoid fires, and it should move quickly. Sounds like yours is taking some time to get to the next position. You may have to clean/lube that player unit until it's moving crisply.

#3 3 years ago

I think paulace is correct, although a Gottlieb single-player has a ball count unit in the head, not a player unit. A player unit is only used in multi-player games.

Both of these units do essentially the same job, but they do have different names, so you'll want to be looking for a ball count unit in the head of your particular game.

And, I will add that a sluggish ball count unit might be causing your other problem, too. The electric power to the playfield is turned on when the ball count unit moves to position 1 (ball 1). If the ball count unit is not moving properly to the ball 1 position when your first ball kicks out, that could prevent the playfield from getting power.

- TimMe

#4 3 years ago

Thanks everyone, I'll take a look this weekend.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks for the correction TimMe - forgot that machine was single-player.

#6 3 years ago

You guys were right on, it's the ball count unit in the head. I am a novice when it comes to repair so I didn't take the unit apart, I'll have a tech do it. Tried to do a little cleaning with q-tip and while the startup issue remains with it not getting to ball 1, after that it seems to be getting to the next ball all the way through to the end of the game fine now. So one out of two isn't bad. Thanks everyone for the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-king-pin-issues-1?hl=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.