Gottlieb king pin issues

By Its_me_aj

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hello, I recently acquired a king pin and it's pretty clean for the most part, however there are a few issues. When you hit the start button the score does not reset but the game starts. This happens ever 4-5 games. It plays completely fine except for the 10s reels will not advance the 100s reel. I've checked over everuthkng as well as I could but I'm completely stumped.

1. Why won't the reels reset at the start if a new game but still plays fine?

2. Why won't the 10s reel advance the 100s?

#2 9 years ago

Check the 0/9 score reel position switches and make sure clean and adjusted properly for starters. Same for EOS.

#3 9 years ago

From what I can tell they are all good and clean

#4 9 years ago

It's deeper into the reset circuit than at the score reels unless all the score reels are adjusted wrong.

Need to see the reset circuit on the schematic to provide more advice.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Why won't the 10s reel advance the 100s?

Check that when the 10s reel is on 9, the 9th position switch is closing (that's the top switch of the score reel switch stack). It should only close when the reel is on 9. The contacts need to be clean as well.

Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Why won't the reels reset at the start

Check the 'A' interlock relay to see that it's latching on start, and that the switches are making contact.

1 week later
#6 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Check that when the 10s reel is on 9, the 9th position switch is closing (that's the top switch of the score reel switch stack). It should only close when the reel is on 9. The contacts need to be clean as well.

Check the 'A' interlock relay to see that it's latching on start, and that the switches are making contact.

The top switch is is closing and the contacts are clean. Could it possibly be in the N relay? There are times when the chimes don't work either.

The A interlock was filthy like someone sprayed graphite on it. I took it out and cleaned it, now I just can't get it adjusted right.

Thank you everyone for your help!

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Could it possibly be in the N relay? There are times when the chimes don't work either.

Yes, that would be the next thing to check, especially with the new info of the chimes not working.

A switch on N needs to be closed/make contact in series with the 9th position switch on the 10's reel in order to advance the 100s. A switch on N also activates the 10's chime.

6 months later
#8 8 years ago

Ok, I ran into another issue. When I go to start a game, I push the start button and it starts to reset the game, numbers go back to zero but then it just goes to game over. I've looked and looked and looked and haven't been able to figure this out.

#9 8 years ago

The Game Over light is activated via the 6th position on the Ball Count unit. Is the Game Over light actually on? If so, then is the Ball Count unit resetting?

#10 8 years ago

Yes the game over light is coming on. The ball count will not reset. The score feels reset fine. It just won't start a new game

#11 8 years ago

A new game won't start unless/until the Ball Count unit resets, and then a ball kicks out to the plunger, causing the Ball Count unit to step once to Ball 1.

So the thing to debug is why the Ball Count unit isn't resetting. Since it had been working (right?), first check the Ball Count unit itself and the reset coil (the top coil on the unit) and see if a wire came loose or something. You can also manually activate the plunger in that coil and reset the unit. That may allow a game to at least be started.

If it's not something simple like a loose wire at the reset coil, then check the schematic for the path to that coil, and check the switches in that path.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-king-pin-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.