Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dgAmpGuy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    20201012_133517 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Hey guys it's been a long time since I've been on this forum I've been out of the hobby for several years and just got back in.

I just finished refurbing a Gottlieb King Pin and I am left with one problem that I can not figure out.

The drop targets reset perfectly every time you start a new game absolutely perfectly without a problem..... but when you finish knocking all 10 of them down within a game they don't fully reset. The coils fire, but it seems like it's not strong enough to lift all 10 targets and only three or four will usually stay up.

I looked at the schematic but I just can't figure this out. I'm still not great at reading schematics.

I don't think it's a mechanical issue, because they reset flawlessly on a new game start.

I think it's an electrical issue, maybe a different path when they reset during a game??

#2 3 years ago

You are correct; there are different paths to reset the drop target bank at startup vs after all targets are down. See location 14-E on the schematic.

The reset at startup goes through a NO switch on the S relay, whereas, the reset after all targets are down goes through a NO switch on the E relay. If you are confident that the reset at startup works 100%, then examine the NO switches on the E relay to see if they are clean and making solid contact. There should be one switch with what looks to be a BR wire coming into one tab (my schematic is a little faded there) that you should focus on.

For good measure, you might also clean the NO switch at motor 2C that has the BR wire attached.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I went thru all those switches and seem fine....and now its not resetting perfectly anymore upon startup. Maybe it was just coincidence that were working perfectly yesterday and now they're not?

I'm beginning to wonder if its not mechanical. When all the targets are up the coil linkage moves very freely, but when all 10 targets are down, its significantly harder to manually pull in the plunger by hand to get the targets to stay up.

It looks like you can adjust the coil brackets to maybe increase / decrease the stroke? Would moving the coils closer/further away help?
    What about greasing the drop targets?

This is really frustrating me...its got the original drop targets and they do seem to have been greased in the past....

#4 3 years ago

One other thing, there are two fuses at the top of the pf for these coils. One of them has a wire connected to each terminal, the other only has one wire on it, but I dont see any wires coming from the loom thst would need to be connected...is this normal?

#5 3 years ago

Generally not a good practice to grease drop targets. If they were greased in the past and the grease has hardened or collected dirt & grime, the targets may be hanging up in their guides from excess friction. You might try cleaning the shafts of the targets with a rag or an old toothbrush dipped in alcohol or Simple Green.

There should be a pair of 2A slo-blo fuses, one each inline with the circuits of each of the two target bank reset solenoids.

If one fuse is disconnected, then having only one of the reset solenoids firing might explain your issue. Can you take a closeup photo of the pair of fuses with your phone and attach it to a reply so we might look at it?

One fuse holder should have a yellow wire on one end and a blue wire at the other end. The other fuse should have either a yellow or brown wire at one end and an orange wire at the other end.

#6 3 years ago

There's no sign of another yellow wire...is it possible that the lug of the one fuse holder should be soldered to the yellow lug on the other,?

20201012_133517 (resized).jpg20201012_133517 (resized).jpg
    #7 3 years ago
    Quoted from richiep:

There's no sign of another yellow wire...is it possible that the lug of the one fuse holder should be soldered to the yellow lug on the other,?
    [quoted image]

Yes

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #8 3 years ago

ok, so i did solder it back...on new drop targets working 100%....during the game still inconsistent resetting.

Checked, cleaned, gapped the switch on motor 2c, also the brown/yellow wire on the "s" relay and the "e" relay.

Dont know what else to try...what about the switch on the drop target bank that closes when all 10 drops are made...could it be something in that path??

#9 3 years ago

I may be missing something, but if I assume that the yellow wire comes from the switch on the S relay into both fuse terminals, then I still don't see a path from the E relay switch to the same terminals??? Unfortunately, I don't own this game anymore and cannot look at the wire/fuse arrangement. Anyone else have the machine that can look at this?

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from richiep:

during the game still inconsistent resetting

Check the switch on the E relay to the left of my red square above

#11 3 years ago

Thanks to all...I think I have it working. In addition to going through those switches, the two fuse holders should in fact have been soldered together at the end to 'share' the yellow wire.

I also cleaned the coil plungers and sleeves and adjusted the coil bracket to slightly increase the throw. Got very consistent results last night....hopefully when I go back to it today it will still be working!

#12 3 years ago

I saw another post recently where the factory wire between fuses was missing. That has the effect on only resetting the bank with one solenoid which is very hard to do. The start of game pulse may be longer than the reset during the game pulse.

There is a balance when adjusting the brackets on the solenoids. You want the coil stops to hit before the bar bottoms out. If the bar doesn’t go far enough, some targets get left down. If the bar goes too far, you get a loud buzzing noise during reset.

Dave

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-king-pin-drop-target-reset?hl=dgampguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.