SCAN0007editscale.jpg
SCAN0006editscale.jpg
IMG_0590.JPG
IMG_0587.JPG
IMG_0586.JPG
20130421_194950.jpg
20130421_204355.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Just picked this up for a great price from another local collector in Austin.
Plays well with just a couple of things to fix. Needs a good shop job and some touchup too.

Cant wait to start in on this one but its 3rd in the project queue

--Jeff

20130421_204355.jpg20130421_204355.jpg 20130421_194950.jpg20130421_194950.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Nice score Jeff
-4 flipper wedge head

#3 11 years ago

Gotta luv the retro back glass.
The bingo has some competition.
Looks to be in nice shape.

#4 11 years ago

I had one of these a couple years ago. At first I didn't think it was going to be fun, but the ruelset is great! If you can get the targets down twice, the third time is chasing the lit spot for specials.....pop! pop! pop! Sadly, had to sell due to lack of space. Still miss it, a sign of a good game for me.

#5 11 years ago

Fun old target style game. Congrats.

#6 11 years ago

Nice one Jeff, garages are for pinnies, not cars!

#7 11 years ago

Have good memories of playing Gottlieb King Pin w/ friends back in the mid/late 70's at laundromats and arcades in W. Lafayette, IN.

Pretty good playfield layout for 1973.
I'm sure you'll have fun cleaning it up and playing it.

#8 11 years ago

I like this little extra in the backglass artwork: the 3 guys playing pinball in the background

The backglass artwork on the 1975 add-a-ball version "Pin-Up" is similar, but not exactly the same.

#9 11 years ago

Nice find.

Just shopped and sold one last month. Great game - miss it already.

1 month later
#10 10 years ago

Just acquired a King Pin myself. Really fun for a simple drop target game. Reviewing the pinrepair.com page on KP restoration, but its still too early to take it out of service for this level of work. The pf needs a good cleaning and it needs a flipper rebuild (need to locate the small flipper parts). I'll likely have to pull the backglass for a triple thick as it has some flaking. But for the time being its getting lots of play. IMG_0586.JPGIMG_0586.JPG IMG_0587.JPGIMG_0587.JPG IMG_0590.JPGIMG_0590.JPG

#12 10 years ago

Nice Score Jeff!

I would rather have the King Pin over a Jack in the Box or Jumping Jack as I like the Layout and Ruleset better.

Looks like a keeper!

Have fun restoring and playing it!

Ken

#13 10 years ago

WOW!!!!
It's nice to see another pin rescued, and especially in the hands of a truly professional restorer.

#14 10 years ago

Wizzardz you have the same wear on the 5000 spot on top. Im going to fix mine and spot clear i think.

--Jeff

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

you have the same wear on the 5000 spot on top

yeah...typical kick out hole landing spots. Clay has some JPGs on his site for the 5000 number and copyright that he used for waterslide decals. He did much more paint on his than I want to do....but I'll see how much I lose when I give it a good cleaning. I might go more temporary. Touch up, wax well and use mylar over the spots so I can remove later to do a more intensive refurb work. I haven't gotten into clear much....but have a couple projects that need it...so I might end up having to get proficient at it.

Mine was set to 5-ball when I got it. I switched to 3-ball and was surprised how much easier it was to score more points given the changes in rules.

#16 10 years ago

one of the few pins I regret getting rid of, it is back on my want list.

#17 10 years ago

as far as I know this glass has NOT been reproduced. I have never seen one that did not have some paint flaking. most have a lot of paint missing.
I would bet that almost everyone that has a king pin would like a new glass

#18 10 years ago

yeah...typical kick out hole landing spots. Clay has some JPGs on his site for the 5000 number and copyright that he used for waterslide decals. He did much more paint on his than I want to do....but I'll see how much I lose when I give it a good cleaning. I might go more temporary. Touch up, wax well and use mylar over the spots so I can remove later to do a more intensive refurb work. I haven't gotten into clear much....but have a couple projects that need it...so I might end up having to get proficient at it.
Mine was set to 5-ball when I got it. I switched to 3-ball and was surprised how much easier it was to score more points given the changes in rules.

I made these scans and reworked them to be able to create water slide decals on the King Pin I rebuilt a couple years ago. If you stay within the black keylines (i.e. don't try to extend out into the red), it seems to work pretty well.

Maybe they can help.

SCAN0006editscale.jpgSCAN0006editscale.jpg SCAN0007editscale.jpgSCAN0007editscale.jpg

2 weeks later
#19 10 years ago

Nice machine! I have one myself that I am looking to part with to make some room.

Can I ask how much you paid for it?

scratch that- my machine is Pin-Up

#20 10 years ago

I misread your thread title as "Capcom" Kingpin.
That would be great, but this looks more reasonable.
Looks like a cool pin.

(Just realized this is semi-zombie. Belated congrats!)

6 months later
#21 10 years ago

Hi. I'm working on a recreation of this pin for a virtual pinball program called Visual Pinball. I've seen a couple of videos of the 5 ball per play (wich is the one I want to recreate) gameplay at youtube and tried to underdstand how the pop bumpers, kickerholes, drain lanes and rounded targets lights alternates and I couldn't realize a logical pattern.

I know they switch between two different positions. One would be when the bumpers are lighted then the right kicker hole and the left drain lane are turned on too. The other is when the bupmpers lights are off, then the rounded targets lights, the left kicker hole and the right drain lane lights are on. But I couldn't tell if they switch for each x score, for hittin or passing by certain parts of the table or a combination of both things. Maybe it could be a random system and I'm screwing my head in vain.

I've been searching all the web for an answer with no success. I stumbled with this topic and I tought I should be a good place to solve my doubts. I hope that I came not too late to ask and someone could help me.

Thanks in advance.

#22 10 years ago

From the schematic, it looks like these are controlled by the Alternating relay ('Q'). 'Q' is controlled by a mini-stepper unit, 'F', which is the 00-90 unit. 'F' in turn looks like it's activated via a switch at score motor 1A, which means it will step five times every 1/3 revolution of the score motor (or 15 times for one full revolution). There are several things which can cause the score motor to run though, and I'm not sure I could accurately describe every possible combination.

But since it's stepping five at a time, the result will be that the Alternating relay 'alternates' after the five steps. So for example, scoring 500, or 5000 causes the score motor to move 1/3 revolution, giving the five pulses, and those lights alternate as a result. (The lights don't flicker five times because another score motor switch is open during the five pulses).

A close approximation would be to alternate after 500 or 5000 points are scored though.

#23 10 years ago

Thank you. That explains why couldn't find out a logical pattern by looking at the videos.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-king-pin-acquired and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.