Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

King Kool Ball Return relay (resized).jpg
84E5B022-0407-498C-88F9-2B43E1B8B977 (resized).jpeg
F29DE511-F212-435F-90FD-ACCF85E66F1A (resized).jpeg
King Kool Ball Return (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

1972 Gottlieb King Kool I’m looking for help and guidance on how to repair this issue. My score motor keeps running when a ball is in the ball return hole. Once the ball is manually ejected the motor stops as well as the repeatedly firing O ball return relay. Also the play field is now “dead” and no scores, pops, flippers work. Playfield is fully illuminated, no tilt, but lights do flash on off when the ball is in the return hole. I have checked the ball return coil and it does fire when alligator wired to positive lead.

I do have the schematics and manual. Can relay any info to help. Thanks Cade

#2 1 year ago

Welcome to Pinside. The Score Motor is running and the O/Ball Return relay is firing because they're trying to return the ball to the shooter lane. Somehow the Ball Return solenoid either isn't getting the signal or is broken:
King Kool Ball Return (resized).jpgKing Kool Ball Return (resized).jpg
Chances are one of the switches isn't closing or is dirty.

The playfield won't play until the ball rolls over the Trough switch under the bottom arch on the way to the shooter lane. That will advance the Player Unit to player 1 ball 1.

/Mark

#3 1 year ago

MarkG the solenoid fires so it’s still good and I can rule that out as the issue. Also before this issue I could fully play the game all three balls no issue just had to manually trigger the ZB first ball relay, if not the game would reset if a score was made. Replaced that coil and it works as intended (I think), since it triggers on when game is switched on.

Should the XB last ball relay be pulled in as indicated by the schematics to allow for the power to get to the ball return solenoid or do I have it backwards in my head

#4 1 year ago

MarkG also i cleaned the U control back relay and XB last ball relay per your post. Both seems to be making correct contact on switches and make break switches.

Thanks. Cade

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from CadeB:

MarkG the solenoid fires so it’s still good and I can rule that out as the issue.

When does it fire? While the Score Motor is running, or when you jumper around the switches?

Quoted from CadeB:

Should the XB last ball relay be pulled in as indicated by the schematics to allow for the power to get to the ball return solenoid or do I have it backwards in my head

The normally closed switch on the XB/Last Ball relay should open on the last ball (when the XB relay trips) to prevent the Ball Return from firing after the last ball.

#6 1 year ago

MarkG It fires when I jumper around from a positive on floor slam switch.

Ok the XB is closed correctly as the schematics show and stays closed when the bank resets.

Cade

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from CadeB:

it fires when I jumper around from a positive on floor slam switch.

Try jumpering around one or more of the switches in the Ball Return solenoid circuit. One of those switches may not be closing.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Try jumpering around one or more of the switches in the Ball Return solenoid circuit. One of those switches may not be closing.

I connected the jumper to the positive node on the ball return solenoid and to one of the open switches on the O relay. The solenoid does fire each time the O relay closes when the ball return hole switch is closed.

jumper wire still connected: Turned game off, tripped the OB game over relay, XB last ball relay, and ZB 1st ball relay. (I did this as if a game was just played and turned off). Turn game on, press start game, score reels reset, banks reset, and ejects ball to shooter lane and now no play field function. Is this still an issue with the ball eject circuit?

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from CadeB:

Is this still an issue with the ball eject circuit?

I don't know. It'll be easier to diagnose if you get the Ball Return to work, then start the game without manually changing things.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I don't know. It'll be easier to diagnose if you get the Ball Return to work, then start the game without manually changing things.

Sorry, your right. I guess I was trying to be to thorough and isolate the ball return circut to make sure it is operating correctly with the jumper.

Ok, so when jumper cable is attached the ball eject solenoid does fire when the ball return sw is closed, O relay closes, and score motor makes a 1/3 rotation. Does this indicate a short or bad wiring connecting the o relay and solenoid, and need rewiring. When not jumpered the motor continues to run and O relay continues to trigger.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from CadeB:

I connected the jumper to the positive node on the ball return solenoid and to one of the open switches on the O relay.

Quoted from CadeB:

when jumper cable is attached the ball eject solenoid does fire when the ball return sw is closed, O relay closes, and score motor makes a 1/3 rotation.

I don't follow where the jumper is. What color wires does the jumper connect?
Generally though if things start working when you add a jumper, the issue is between the ends of the jumper.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:I don't follow where the jumper is. What color wires does the jumper connect?

On the ball hole sw it is connected to BR-WH and then on the o relay it is connected to what looks like the same color BR-WH. See attached photos for reference.

84E5B022-0407-498C-88F9-2B43E1B8B977 (resized).jpeg84E5B022-0407-498C-88F9-2B43E1B8B977 (resized).jpegF29DE511-F212-435F-90FD-ACCF85E66F1A (resized).jpegF29DE511-F212-435F-90FD-ACCF85E66F1A (resized).jpeg
#13 1 year ago

Try jumpering around the switches in the drawing in reply #2, one at a time. By jumpering to the Ball Return switch you've essentially bypassed the entire circuit which demonstrates that the solenoid is working but doesn't tell you anything about where the issue is. If you bypass one switch and things start working you've narrowed the problem down to the one switch.

#14 1 year ago

Can you post a snippet of the ball return relay coil circuit and the bonus scoring relay circuit?

#15 1 year ago

O/Ball Return and Q/Bonus Score relays:

King Kool Ball Return relay (resized).jpgKing Kool Ball Return relay (resized).jpg
#16 1 year ago

You are jumpering way too far ahead. You just want to jumper across individual switches. If a switch is open or dirty, the jumper forces it to close. There's no need to jump across multiple switches or go all the way to the coil or all the way back to the power source. Sometimes you may need to do that, but you've already confirmed that the coil works. Now you have to figure out which switch is staying open when it should close. The best way to do this is by jumpers across the switches in the path.

#17 1 year ago

Whenever a relay that incorporates the score motor running can’t complete its sequence, like firing the ball release outhole kicker, then the relays hold circuit is suspect of failing.
Score motor switch 2B is the shared hold circuit release switch for the O & Q relays.
Clean and adjust switch 2B for a clean positive connection.

#18 1 year ago

Update: I think I found the issue using y’all’s pointers on jumpers and soloing out switches. The issue was before the U relay. The OR&GR wire was not soldered on well on the OB relay bank so power was never getting to the circuit. Now the ball return works as intended. Now on to the next issue. Ha!

Thank you all -Cade

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-king-kool-running-score-motor-when-ball-return-is-closed- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.