• Latest reply 5 years ago by Larrykaye
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0King-Rock-Work-02 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I am working on a King Kool (1972 Gottlieb) machine, I have gone through the entire game--cleaned and adjusted everything and the game plays. The problem is that the player unit is missing steps and therefore does not keep the ball count correctly. In a single player game, after ball one drains (having scored), the player unit only steps twice, rather than the required four steps. The next ball steps the player unit once when it drains, likewise for ball three. Now ball two in play shows and the sequence repeats. A two player game works correctly switching to player two but then only takes one step instead of three when player two's ball drains.

I have read many of the threads that relate to the player unit and understand the intended sequence and the various 'paths'. I have rechecked all the associated switches, even taking out the player unit switch stacks to check for bad contacts. One thing that I do not understand is how the 'P' relay stays closed long enough for all four pulses since it is only closed by the passage of the ball over the trough switch (I do not believe there is anything else controlling it). I have, however, held the relay closed by hand and the problem still exists.

#2 5 years ago

Do you have a schematic for the machine? I had a similar problem with a Far Out machine last year where one of the switch stack fingers moved off the score motor disc... You would want to check the circuit that includes the player unit advance solenoid. Check to see what score motor switches are in the circuit and make sure theses switches are clean and adjusted correctly. Also, manually rotate the score motor to see how the switches are opening and closing...

#3 5 years ago

Hi Larrykaye
when the ball is kicked over to the shooter alley the ball closes the "Trough Switch" - Initial current flows to the Coil on P-Relay (see in the JPG my "blue lines") - the P-Relay pulls-in - one switch on the P-Relay is the so-called "Self-Hold-Switch" - see my brown lines - the pulling-in P-Relay actuates all switches, closes its Self-Hold-Switch --- surprise, surprise - and the O-Relay actuates. The O-Relay has also its "Self-Hold-Switch" - as O-Relay pulls-in - among all the other switches on O-Relay: Self-Hold-Switch closes --- O-Relay and P-Relay stay pulling until towards the end of the turn of 120 degrees: The motor-2B-Switch opens and cuts the Self-Hold-Circuits of the two relays.
This is not the best design --- I am guessing - it is as in my Gottlieb Orbit: See here https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1371&picno=30284 and here https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1724&picno=19272 --- the stepped light in the center of the playfield MUST be stepped forward to "Home-Position is Position-Zero" --- the stepping is triggered by the pulling O-Relay and the turning Score-Motor (maximum FIVE steps on the stepped light in the turn of 120 degrees) - BUT sometimes the stepped light must step some more steps to reach its Home-Position --- quirky Gottlieb design - they said: Lets trigger the O-Relay a second time by the pulling-in of the P-Relay ...

The lower part of my JPG shows on King Rock the part of schematics I need to see on King Kool - please show (a picture taken with Your mobile phone is good enough) from Your schematics this area "stepping the Player-Unit" --- we then dig-in into "why is the stepping faulty ? ".
It is late in Switzerland / Europe --- this is my last post for today - I go to sleep - till tomorrow. Greetings Rolf

0King-Rock-Work-02 (resized).jpg0King-Rock-Work-02 (resized).jpg
#4 5 years ago

Thank you both for your posts. I now have the player unit working properly (although I'm not convinced I know what I did!).

Rolf--In a round-about way your comments about the bonus unit reset got me on the right track. It wasn't until after I had it working that I realized that the comments about the bonus unit were just an explanation of why the 'O' relay goes twice (I had figured out that that behavior was normal). Even though I could not see why it mattered (from the schematic), I cleaned the bonus unit zero position switches again. Now the player unit worked. I did realize later that since the last time that I had tried a game, I was checking the score motor again. I suspect that what I may have done is to make the 2B contacts work. Until reading your notes I had not realized the role of that switch. I have now also cleaned those switches again, just to be sure.

Thanks again for your help. Although I have worked on many EM machines --I still come across new challenges and expert advice such as yours is always greatly appreciated.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-king-kool-player-unit-not-working-correctly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.