Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

King Kool add player from score reel (resized).jpg
KingKoolShort (resized).jpg
20200219_132834 (resized).jpg
20200219_132840 (resized).jpg
20200219_105504 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Please help with this nightmare King Kool.

In a 1 or 2 player game the game advances to player 2 occasionally when the 1000 pt relay is activated. Only happens when 1000 pts are scored. Does not happen when 10s 100s or 10000s is scored.

Doesn't erroneously advance again (it does not go back to player 1 when 1000 is scored.)

Happens pressing the L relay manually - or if 1000 scored on playfield. There does not appear to be any shorted wires or issues with the L relay stack.

I can see the player unit advance coil engage when it happens.

As expected, the score motor does not run when 1000 pts are scored - and I verified score motor 1a second switch is open at rest.

The player 1 and player 2 reset switch stacks on the player unit seem to have correct gaps and the game otherwise scores and resets correctly.

Looking at the schematic I can't see a correlation between 1000 pts and the player unit advancing.

I attached a pic of the player unit part of the schematic.

Any ideas where to look? Thanks!

20200219_105504 (resized).jpg20200219_105504 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

I’d look st the player 1 1000 reel zero switch to make sure some other wire isn’t touching. If that got energized, it would carry through to the advance player unit.

Good luck,
Dave

#3 4 years ago

Check your 1000 point score reel again. I had a somewhat similar issue with a Gottlieb game once. The switches were all opening and closing properly on the score reel but a fish paper insulator was missing between two different switches. When they were touching, weird things happened with the player unit.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

I’d look st the player 1 1000 reel zero switch to make sure some other wire isn’t touching. If that got energized, it would carry through to the advance player unit.
Good luck,
Dave

Quoted from edednedy:

Check your 1000 point score reel again. I had a somewhat similar issue with a Gottlieb game once. The switches were all opening and closing properly on the score reel but a fish paper insulator was missing between two different switches. When they were touching, weird things happened with the player unit.

Ok will check this carefully...thanks.

#5 4 years ago

If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cellphone number in a private message and I'll make a first reply with a text message.

#6 4 years ago

Ah hah....you were all right on track. The arm that operates the switches in the player 1 1000pt score reel was in the wrong position. Fooled me since the reel operated correctly (reset, scoring, carryover) otherwise. By comparing it to p2 1000 reel it was easy to spot the difference. Re positioned the arm and mystery player unit advance has stopped. Thanks for quick replies!

20200219_132834 (resized).jpg20200219_132834 (resized).jpg20200219_132840 (resized).jpg20200219_132840 (resized).jpg
#7 4 years ago

That’ll do it

Glad that you fixed it.
I love the graphics on that game but those double flippers with the gap don’t do it for me...

Dave

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

Ah hah....you were all right on track. The arm that operates the switches in the player 1 1000pt score reel was in the wrong position. Fooled me since the reel operated correctly (reset, scoring, carryover) otherwise. By comparing it to p2 1000 reel it was easy to spot the difference. Re positioned the arm and mystery player unit advance has stopped.

Do you know how that was causing the player advance in your original post? That still seems like a weird symptom to get from a score reel switch being off (although I don't know anything about this game or what's on that stack). Just curious, I can't stand mysteries!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

Do you know how that was causing the player advance in your original post? That still seems like a weird symptom to get from a score reel switch being off (although I don't know anything about this game or what's on that stack). Just curious, I can't stand mysteries!

No I don't why specifically this caused the player unit to advance. But glad it is working again.

#10 4 years ago

I think you can make the case that a short within the 1000's reel could result in a pulse being sent to the Player Unit...

KingKoolShort (resized).jpgKingKoolShort (resized).jpg
#11 4 years ago

Agreed, the two switches on the Player 1 1000s score reel were touching when they shouldn't providing at least one path to the Add Player Unit solenoid:
King Kool add player from score reel (resized).jpgKing Kool add player from score reel (resized).jpg
For extra credit you could check the wire colors against the schematic. Either way, a good failure mode to remember.
/Mark

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-king-kool-advances-to-player-2-when-1000-pt-is-scored and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.