Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
0Jumping-Jack-Work-07 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Screenshot_20180330-012001 (resized).png
Screenshot_20180330-010831 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crujones4life.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi. Have a Jumping Jack that won't start. Every once in a great while pressing start will cause motor to turn and stop but reset process never occurs. Score reels do not move or even attempt to move. (They will move once playing a ball) At power on game shows game over and tilt. If I press start relay I get same thing as when start button actually registers. I can manually move the long bar that controls reset relay bank and get game to play (after manually pushing tilt hold relay). It goes to a 2 player game automatically. Also game stays at player 1 ball 1 infinitely. I can manually press stepper in head to get game to progress. Another thing I noticed is some 10 point switches will only score when lit for 50 points. (Maybe a setting? Those points setting plugs never make any sense to me). Nothing happens on its own essentially. I will say this game is pretty damn clean inside. Steppers move nice and smooth. The only other stepper is the bonus stepper under the playfield that I could find anyway. Both are continuous steppers. Oh there is the credit wheel too which seems to function correctly. Ideas? Also...does this game have a switch stack chart (NO,NC,etc)? Can anyone send me pics if they have access to it? Thanks guys!

#2 6 years ago

20180209_162559 (resized).jpg20180209_162559 (resized).jpg

20180209_162606 (resized).jpg20180209_162606 (resized).jpg

20180209_162610 (resized).jpg20180209_162610 (resized).jpg

20180209_162619 (resized).jpg20180209_162619 (resized).jpg

20180209_162623 (resized).jpg20180209_162623 (resized).jpg

20180209_162631 (resized).jpg20180209_162631 (resized).jpg

20180209_162642 (resized).jpg20180209_162642 (resized).jpg

20180209_162703 (resized).jpg20180209_162703 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

After looking at my pics the top switch on the right side of the motor looks off doesn't it? I will look at that tomorrow.

#6 6 years ago

If anyone has a switch stack chart could you email me a copy? Gonna dig back in next warm day we have...want all the info I can gather. Thanks!

#9 6 years ago

Thanks for all the info so far guys! I will report back.

#12 6 years ago

Yeah the chimes are missing. Will definitely replace them if I can get running. After messing around with it today the HOLD relay no longer gets pulled in. Can no longer manually start a game by manually pressing reset bar. Ideas on this?

Before this happened.
Pressing start almost always did nothing. If it did anything the motor would move to next spot and stop and credit would come off the wheel (game would stay in tilt until I manually released tilt hold relay). Same thing when I press start relay...motor moves to next position and stops. Score reels will not reset no matter what I try. They will score though. The only way I could get playfield to come to life so I could play was manually pressing in reset bar. Once I could play it would not advance player or balls. Bonus stepper and drops and pops and flippers and outhole and kick out holes all seemed to work fine at this point. If I manually actuated the player stepper it would change players and balls. Game would never end though. The game just won't do anything on its own. Most things seemed to work once manually activated. The game will never come out of tilt unless I manually press tilt hold relay.

Like I said earlier now hold relay is not activating and I can no longer start a game even manually...

#13 6 years ago

So I just read that the tilt switches can cause hold relay to not work. I was messing with tilt switches when this happened. Have to look at them again. I have read start up sequence many many times. The start button doesn't do anything most of the time and start relay doesn't either...So I guess the problem is there or at least starts there? Or is the game not coming out of tilt on its own the issue?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If the Replay Button (V) relay doesn't activate when you press the Replay button, diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Does anyone have time to walk me through how to do this?

#20 6 years ago

Alright I will try the alligator clip method. Will this work through the insulation of the wire? Dumb question? Lol...

#22 6 years ago

Attached jumper wire from orange wires on start switch to red and black wire on fuse near bounce switch. Turn game on and no change. Stays in tilt, game over. Manually push in tilt hold relay, lights on playfield come on start switch still does nothing. Manually push in hold relay (which then stays locked on) and start switch still does nothing.

What should I try next? I wish I could get the startup sequence going. Can't do anything else until it starts! Is it a given that my problem lies under the playfield and not on the playfield or in the head? Please any ideas you have no matter how unlikely I am willing to try. Thanks!

15191893965241166193098 (resized).jpg15191893965241166193098 (resized).jpg

15191894406181526104914 (resized).jpg15191894406181526104914 (resized).jpg

#23 6 years ago

I will also mention for whatever it's worth that if I manually push in the reset relay bar I can press the start button and the motor will turn one rotation.

Also some 10 point switches won't score correctly. Could one of these be my issue? The same 10 point switches that score when lit for 500 will not score for 50 when unlit.

#25 6 years ago

Could relay C be causing the scoring and startup issue?

15191903990171847668566 (resized).jpg15191903990171847668566 (resized).jpg

#26 6 years ago

Hi. Sorry wasn't ignoring your advice. I have read through it many times. I am not very good at reading schematics so I am having trouble knowing exactly what to do with that info.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

We're glad to help with reading schematics. Does my post #5 help?

I thought that's what I was doing in post 22...did I not do it correctly? Lol.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from mrbanjo:

That's the wrong fuse I believe

Haha...figures...this one then?

1519192578021609302270 (resized).jpg1519192578021609302270 (resized).jpg

Oops. Just saw your post...I will try that one.

#33 6 years ago

On the left?

1519193359037419099266 (resized).jpg1519193359037419099266 (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago

Still a no go. Tested with my meter and have continuity between that fuse and the orange wire on start button.

#36 6 years ago

This may or may not mean anything but I have continuity from start switch to several relays too. Outhole, start, tilt hold, hold, several reset bar relays, NOT game over or 2nd player relay.

#37 6 years ago

Found a broken wire on left hole relay. What's weird is that the kick out hole still worked... I will solder this back tomorrow. Any chance this fixes my issue?

#38 6 years ago

Looks to be a white with purple wire.

1519195354581548906637 (resized).jpg1519195354581548906637 (resized).jpg

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If no luck jumpering from 1 to 2, try from 3 to 4. Alligator clip jumper wires are better for this kind of work than a meter.
I'm helping this guy by phone. If you haven't fixed it when I'm done with that I can do the same for you
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-ben-em-reset-troubleshoot-3

Thanks! I will report back.

#41 6 years ago

Where is the v coil?

#42 6 years ago

Press start relay and hold relay pulls. Stays in tilt. Press tilt hold relay and comes out of tilt. Press control bank relay and reset bar coil fires and starts a game. Score reels do not attempt to reset but drops reset and playfield comes alive. Then when I press start it actually works and subtracts a credit off the wheel.

A lot of repetition in my posts I know just want to share what I am seeing.

#43 6 years ago

Just noticed activating the coin drop switches activates start relay and motor and hold relay and credit wheel but nothing else happens.

#44 6 years ago

Pics of my reset bank.

20180223_183710 (resized).jpg20180223_183710 (resized).jpg

20180223_183704 (resized).jpg20180223_183704 (resized).jpg

20180223_183700 (resized).jpg20180223_183700 (resized).jpg

#45 6 years ago

See the far right relay? The left switch is closed on both sides and looks like only one side would open (front side) when activated. Should the back side be open when front is closed? It shouldn't always be closed or why would there be a switch right?

#46 6 years ago

If I reset relay bank bar by hand then turn on...
1. The game over relay QB energizes.
2. The start button will work and when pressed one time the 2nd player relay PB energizes.
That's it. Nothing else happens.
Stays in game over and tilt. No reset process occurs or even tries to.

#47 6 years ago

Just noticed that the game over relay is constantly energized. From the moment I turn it on. If I reset when off it energizes when powered on. If I try to reset when powered on it just stays energized and buzzes at me angrily...

#48 6 years ago

Alright so measured resistance across all the coils in the reset bank relay and all are 3.5 to 4 ohms...EXCEPT QB and ZB at 0.5 ohms...those 2 coils are shorted right? Please tell me this could be my issue?

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi crujones4life
when we toggle-on a Gottlieb pin having the Control-Bank: The QB-Game-Over-Relay "plunges" - also the ZB-First-Ball-Relay. Then (please do / try): We can press the armature on R-Hold-Relay and the relay stays actuated. The same on H-Tilt-Hold-Relay --- questions: What happens in Ypour pin when You do manually "actuate these two relays" ? After the "actuate these two relays" You then manually reset the Control-Bank - what is the QB-Relay doing ? Greetings Rolf

I don't think ZB has ever actuated. I will check on this and see what QB does when I do these things. I will report back tomorrow. Thanks for your time!

#51 6 years ago

Hi crujones4life
when we toggle-on a Gottlieb pin having the Control-Bank: The QB-Game-Over-Relay "plunges" - also the ZB-First-Ball-Relay. Then (please do / try): We can press the armature on R-Hold-Relay and the relay stays actuated. The same on H-Tilt-Hold-Relay --- questions: What happens in Ypour pin when You do manually "actuate these two relays" ? After the "actuate these two relays" You then manually reset the Control-Bank - what is the QB-Relay doing ? Greetings Rolf

Power on and QB actuates. ZB does not. Pressed start and motor turned once and bonus stepper under the playfield reset. Hold relay is on game is in tilt. I manually actuate tilt hold relay and it stays actuated. I manually press control bank relay and QB is released. So apparently QB is functioning correctly? At this point it appears nothing is actuated on the reset bank at all...pic is of reset bank at this stage.

So what are we thinking? Should ZB be actuated at this point? Could THAT be the issue?

15197926010281709027901 (resized).jpg15197926010281709027901 (resized).jpg

#52 6 years ago

Also I pressed start again and PB actuated. ZB is still not actuated...

#53 6 years ago

So I manually actuated the ZB relay when powered off. Turned on and game actually tried to reset. The motor kept turning and the AX relay in the head kept turning round and round...At this point SB2, SB1, QB, ZB, LB are all actuated while AX and motor are constantly spinning.

So some times it does what I said above and sometimes the reset bar will reset everything (except score reels which never even try to reset).

No matter what the game will never advance from player 1 ball 1.

1 week later
#55 6 years ago

When I do exactly as you described....
Game resets to player 1 ball 1.
Playfield gets power and ball is ejected.
Game will score points.
When ball drains it stays on player 1 ball 1.

During a game no relays on reset bank are actuated.

#57 6 years ago

ZB never actuates. Even after points are scored.

#60 6 years ago

Just wanted to you are AWESOME for taking the time to help me out. I really appreciate it. I will try what you said and report back tomorrow. Thanks!

1 week later
#61 6 years ago

Hi crujones4life
the "ZB-First-Ball-Relay" should be called "ZB-telling-the-brain-of-the-Pin-Relay: A game has started, Points are made - brain - when a ball is lost: Step to next ball / next player".
Before digging into "wiring to ZB-Relay" - please try: After You have started a new game - the huge arm on the Control-Bank has actuated: Then toggle-off the pin (main power switch) - then toggle-on the pin - question: DOES the QB-Game-Over-Relay plunge / actuate ? (it must) , also: DOES the ZB-First-Ball-Relay plunge / actuate ? (it must) - Greetings Rolf

When I do as you say above...QB will actuate when powered on. ZB does not actuate.

#62 6 years ago

Hi crujones4life
an add-on to post-58 - IF (if, if) the ZB-Relay plunges / actuates when You toggle-on the pin - then start a new game - when the pin gives You the first ball: Make some points, then actuate the pendulum tilt (You loose action on the playfield) - DOES the ZB-Relay plunge ? - then put the (played) ball into the Outhole - question: Does the pin now steps to second ball ? Greetings Rolf

I turned on game and QB actuates but ZB does not...so I manually actuated the ZB relay after starting a game...score points...drain ball now moves to ball 2...repeat process ball 3 etc...(the whole time ZB stays actuated)...when ball 4 drains the game makes a horrible buzzing sound as LB actuates but ZB won't release. Turned off and on and both relays still actuated (along with QB).

ZB has to be the issue! Right?

How do I go about trouble shooting WHY ZB won't actuate on its own? Motor switches? Wiring? Shorted coil? SB armature(this game have one?)

#64 6 years ago

Couldn't get a great pic but ZB is the only coil that is toasty brown where it should be white on the end . All the other coils are white.

20180320_224615 (resized).jpg20180320_224615 (resized).jpg

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

The ZB (1st Ball relay) should actuate when you score 10 or 100 points. If it doesn't, diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires. Also it (ZB) has a switch that keeps its coil from pulling once it's been actuated.

I am so bad with this. When you have time could you let me know where to place each side of the jumper. Maybe using one of my pics? What do you think about the toasty coil ZB?

#66 6 years ago

2 more reminders in case it somehow means something...Score reels NEVER reset...some switches (50 points I believe) cause motor to turn but points are NEVER added for 50 points relay.

#67 6 years ago

Did some re-reading and it looks like score reels should be reset after ZB is activated.

1. ZB coil is toasty. Tests at 0.5 ohms.
2. ZB never actuates.
3. Score reels never reset.

Would ordering a new coil for ZB be a good idea? I need to order another coil for a different game anyway. Also need new rubber for this one...

#70 6 years ago

Hi crujones4life
an add-on to post-68: Whenever You want to start a new game: The QB-Relay must be plunged and the ZB-Relay must be plunged - otherwise the Start-up of the new game may not work. Greetings Rolf

This is what I do to get the game to start. Activate (plunge) ZB while power is off then power on. But the score reels will not reset, they do not even try. Ball kicks out player 1 ball 1. That is where it stays. Points will score and bonus will count down when ball drains. If I manually activate (plunge) ZB again then the game will advance to ball 2, ball 3, ball 4, then drain and get buzzing sound.

So could ZB bad coil be the cause of my problems or just a symptom of another problem?

#71 6 years ago

Hi crujones4life
I am Swiss-German speaking - when talking english about pins I try to use the "right" words and I hope that other pinsiders use the "right" words - or soon I am lost ...
A problem of understanding: In post-66 You write (two reminders) "Score-Reels never reset" - "targets / switches on the playfield worth 50 points - when actuated: The motor runs but no points are given" --- Do You mean "When starting a new game: The pin starts up and kicks out the ball and can play --- but in the Start-up- / Reset-Procedure the Score-Drums will not reset means they do not step forward for to reach Zero-Position ?
A problem - when playing: Hitting on the playfield something worth 50 points --- the motor makes an turn of 120 degrees - but no points are added to the Score-Drums.
(((In other words: Do You talk about two not-related faults ?)))
ZB-Relay - Your post-62 --- here the Jack in the Box http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1277&picno=29335 - the huge Control-Bank - in the Control-Bank in Your pin are mounted: LB, PB, ZB, QB, XB, SB1, SB2. Every one may at an specific time "plunge" on its own --- BUT (deactivated means) resetted: ALL will be resetted at the same moment - when the huge arm on the Control-Bank is moved. I read Your "the whole time the ZB stays actuated" --- I am not surprised - the next time the ZB will be resetted is after game has ended and You start a new game and then the Start-up / Reset-Stuff in the new game will be done - at end of the Start-up then will the Reset-Arm on the Control-Bank move - reset ALL the relays sitting in the Control-Bank.
Buzzing sound when ball-4 is lost (thats the same as "the pin does move to ball-5"): I believe it has to do with http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1329&picno=8415 "quite up in the picture, "lamp 10 times bonus value" shall be lit on last ball. I believe the two Eject-Holes way up on the playfield: The LIT Eject-Hole makes also this "lamp 10 times bonus value to be lit" - question: Do You also get the buzzing sound when You use the "worthy, lit" Eject-Hole ?
ZB-Coil is toasty: I wold buy a new coil.
ZB-Relay never actuates: Wear rubber gloves when You manually actuate the ZB-Relay. You must actuate the ZB-Relay after starting a new game for one or for two players --- when the first player plays ball-1 making some points - NOW You must actuate the ZB-Relay or You will be forever on Player-1 plays ball-1.
Can You live with "manually activating the ZB-Relay" - wait for a new coil to come - and in the time waiting for the new coil to come: We look at some (other) problems --- what problem shall we look-at next ? Greetings Rolf

When a 50 point switch is activated the score motor will turn but points will not score. Problem with the C relay? (50/3000 point relay)

#72 6 years ago

Hi crujones4life
I am Swiss-German speaking - when talking english about pins I try to use the "right" words and I hope that other pinsiders use the "right" words - or soon I am lost ...
A problem of understanding: In post-66 You write (two reminders) "Score-Reels never reset" - "targets / switches on the playfield worth 50 points - when actuated: The motor runs but no points are given" --- Do You mean "When starting a new game: The pin starts up and kicks out the ball and can play --- but in the Start-up- / Reset-Procedure the Score-Drums will not reset means they do not step forward for to reach Zero-Position ?
A problem - when playing: Hitting on the playfield something worth 50 points --- the motor makes an turn of 120 degrees - but no points are added to the Score-Drums.
(((In other words: Do You talk about two not-related faults ?)))
ZB-Relay - Your post-62 --- here the Jack in the Box http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1277&picno=29335 - the huge Control-Bank - in the Control-Bank in Your pin are mounted: LB, PB, ZB, QB, XB, SB1, SB2. Every one may at an specific time "plunge" on its own --- BUT (deactivated means) resetted: ALL will be resetted at the same moment - when the huge arm on the Control-Bank is moved. I read Your "the whole time the ZB stays actuated" --- I am not surprised - the next time the ZB will be resetted is after game has ended and You start a new game and then the Start-up / Reset-Stuff in the new game will be done - at end of the Start-up then will the Reset-Arm on the Control-Bank move - reset ALL the relays sitting in the Control-Bank.
Buzzing sound when ball-4 is lost (thats the same as "the pin does move to ball-5"): I believe it has to do with http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1329&picno=8415 "quite up in the picture, "lamp 10 times bonus value" shall be lit on last ball. I believe the two Eject-Holes way up on the playfield: The LIT Eject-Hole makes also this "lamp 10 times bonus value to be lit" - question: Do You also get the buzzing sound when You use the "worthy, lit" Eject-Hole ?
ZB-Coil is toasty: I wold buy a new coil.
ZB-Relay never actuates: Wear rubber gloves when You manually actuate the ZB-Relay. You must actuate the ZB-Relay after starting a new game for one or for two players --- when the first player plays ball-1 making some points - NOW You must actuate the ZB-Relay or You will be forever on Player-1 plays ball-1.
Can You live with "manually activating the ZB-Relay" - wait for a new coil to come - and in the time waiting for the new coil to come: We look at some (other) problems --- what problem shall we look-at next ? Greetings Rolf

The eject holes seem to function fine and score correctly when lit. No buzzing.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

You're in good hands with Rolf, but let me know if you need me to get involved.

Any additional help is welcome. Anything you have to offer I would greatly appreciate.

1 week later
#76 6 years ago

Progress!

I replaced the ZB coil and sure enough the original coil was bad. Now when I power on the game QB and ZB actuate. Then I press start and both SB1 and SB2 actuate. The motor then just keeps spinning around and the AX relay in the head just keeps spinning around. It does this forever until I turn the game off.

So the score reels still do not try to reset (Maybe this doesn't happen until we get past where my game is currently stuck? ).

I checked the AX switch and I think it is working correctly. It alternates open and closed with each actuation. I cleaned it's Jones plugs too.

Under what circumstances does AX constantly spin around? What should I look at or try next?

#77 6 years ago

Apparently my AX relay is known as an AS stepper...

Screenshot_20180330-005509 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180330-005509 (resized).png

Also found this...

Screenshot_20180330-010831 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180330-010831 (resized).png

And this...remember my game won't score 50 points (drop targets won't score for example).

Screenshot_20180330-012001 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180330-012001 (resized).png

#81 6 years ago

I manually stepped the player stepper and AX relay stopped spinning. It did not start spinning on it's own but eventually it kicked out a ball. Player 1 ball 1. It does progress through ball 2, 3, 4, when it gets to 5...LB relay is pulled in and a horrible buzzing sound occurs.

I tried several times starting new games. One time the motor just kept running and I let it go for a while and noticed that the player unit was trying to move but the coil was barely pulling the plunger in. After a while it moved one or two spaces...

The score reels will still not reset or even try...

One thing to note is that sometimes when I powered on the game LB would instantly pull in and I would get that horrible buzzing sound.

#83 6 years ago

It sounds like it is coming from LB or ZB. Somewhere in there. When it happens I turn it off real quick so nothing burns up.

2 weeks later
#86 6 years ago

Hi crujones4life
thanks for doing the test (manually stepping on the Player-Unit) - good - when You reach Home-Position (also called position-zero): Then the pin steps on its own through the balls. The "not stepping at starting a new game" is not so easy to detect --- many switches / wirings involved. I will write another post for this problem.
The horrible buzzing sound --- I hope that You toggle-off the pin "right away". From Your post-81 I believe to read: Current is flowing to the coil on LB-Relay - the LB-Relay plunges / actuates --- BUT DOES NOT open its switch (switch must be open when the LB-Relay has actuated) --- faulty current flows to the coil - flows and flows --- coil pulls an pulls and pulls and does the horrible sound.
It is difficult to get at the switches on relays mounted in the Control-Bank - maybe You have wingnuts or something - loosen and kind of folding up the whole Control-Bank (?). There is a short wire of any color - the short wire runs from "one side of the LB-Relay-Coil" to "switch mounted on the LB-Relay". The switch is closed when the relay is not plunged --- the other switchblade has soldered-on wire of color-yellow-mingled-with-black. The fault You have is: THROUGH this switch You have always connection --- maybe a drop of solder fallen at the solder-lugs - maybe a doghair crap of wire there --- maybe the stationary blade is bent and "follows the moved blade when the relay plunges, moved blade moves away --- BUT the stationary blade follows so the switch does (faulty) not open" ?
(((You can if You want check / countercheck: QB-Relay in the Control-Bank also have such an switch to open when relay plunges --- QB-Relay also have a short wire running from coil to switch)))
Greetings Rolf

I adjusted the switch on LB and the buzzing stopped! Thanks for your help on that one. I was able to play a game from start to finish for the 1st time. Of course I had to manually step the stepper in the head until it reset the pin and kicked a ball out. And of course the score reel is not reseting.

#87 6 years ago

Hi crujones4life
first some theory --- Bally, Williams and Gottlieb schematics are drawn in an "special situation the pin is in". A game for ONE Player has been started, Reset has been done, Ball has been kicked over to the Shooter Alley - ready for the player to launch the ball. THEN the pin is toggled-off and the 110VAC main power cord is unplugged. Steppers stay as is - Interlock-Relays stay as is - Relays sitting in the Control-Bank (or in another -Bank) stay as is. A simple relay pulling before we toggled-off: This / these simple relays loose power (as we toggle-off) - relay(s) let go. And now the schematics (switches) is drawn with / in this situation.
An schematics is drawn "beautiful / abstract" --- the real wiring in the pin can be "other", NEVER, never there is in a pin - from an connecting wire QQ to XX: Somewhere along the wire a second wire forks-off connecting to YY. See the JPG, upper left corner - a fork-off upwards is drawn. Never there is in a pin such an fork-off. I call the drawing the "AA". Towards the left bottom in the JPG You see "BB", "CC, "DD" - examples how it is really wired in the pin --- ALWAYS a solder-lug is used - TWO wires end on this solder-lug.
In the JPG I marked as "EE" and as "FF" other places with "fork-off in the schematics" --- I then doubled the part - and just added "blue question marks" instead of make several drawings "maybe like that - maybe like this".
Theory of operation --- by now You help the pin through the start-up - You manually step the Player-Unit - step - step - step and at a time the unit reaches Home-Position is also position-zero. From now on the pin does the stepping - along my "marked green" wiring.
When You start a new game then stepping is done "partially along red wiring - partially along green wiring" --- the very last step(s) to then reach Home-Position (is also position-zero) is done "ONLY along my green wiring".
Trouble-Shooting --- YOUR pin does not step "early in the start-up" - it also does not reset Score-Drums - does not step "late in the start-up". From this I clue (maybe I clue right - maybe I clue wrong): The wiring in the upper-right corner of the JPG (and leftbound to "my blue FF") is the first place to investigate for the problem "NO STEPPING on start-up".
Maybe it is simple - the "Switch on S-Relay with wire-color-red-white / with wire brown-white" is no good - one of the wires has broken-off or the switch is out of adjustment - never closing contactpoints are oxidated (?) - closing mechanically but "not closing electrically" ?
Maybe when starting the "SB1- and SB-2 in the Control-Bank do NOT plunge and so the Switch "SB2 in the JPG" is faulty open - or its adjustment is no good - or a wire has broken-off (wire-color-brown-white or wire-color-slate-mingled-with-white) ? Maybe the real wiring (remember what I wrote to AA BB CC DD) is "wire-color-slate-mingled-with-white" runs from SB2-switch to Motor-1A switch and has broken-off at motor-1A switch (and there is a wire wire-color-slate-mingled-with-white running direct from Switch-"P" to motor-1A switch (and this wire happens to be good).
Tricky to check --- not easy to describe / write --- I end this post summing-up: I would have a good look in the pin - look at the stuff that is shown in the upper-right corner of the JPG. Greetings Rolf

I am going to read through this a few more times and try to dig in. Hopefully a dirty misadjusted switch or broken wire. Thank you so much for all of your help so far!

1 month later
#88 5 years ago

We are getting closer! So SB1 was not making good contact when plunged. Adjusted it and here is what we get now...

Press start stepper in head and motor run. Thousands place of score reel resets. Then startup process stops as ax relay spins round and round. I manually plunge the stepper in head just once and it completes startup sequence (except score does NOT finish resetting) and kicks ball 1 out ready to play.

So...
1. Thousands score reel resets. Others do not.
2. Startup stops at ax relay spinning round and round.

#89 5 years ago

Little more fiddling and now the tens and thousands reset on player 1 and all reels reset on player 2.

Feel like we are close.

#90 5 years ago

So what switch or step is supposed to happen to reset 10 thousands and hundreds reels?

#91 5 years ago

If I set 10 thousands and 100s to zero position game starts right up! So close! It's killing me...lol.

I just don't know what to look at next...motor, player stepper, or what.

#93 5 years ago

The player unit stepper stops after tens and thousands are reset on player 1. Then AX relay just spins. One manual push of player unit stepper lets game finish resetting (except 100s and 10000s score reels for player 1) and kick out ball 1 ready to play.

So from the highlighted schematics the problem could be score motor switches 1A or 4A? I see a blue spark at what I believe is 1A. I tried cleaning with flex stone and adjusting gap to be closer...no change so far.

What/where are those other switches? (Runout switches and P switches)

And does this apply if player 2 resets just fine? Could the problem be in the reels themselves? Zero and Nine switches seem to be functioning correctly.

#95 5 years ago

It works! I adjusted the runout switches and it starts and plays all the way through!!! Whooooooooo! Thank you Howard and Rolf for all of your time and help!!!

Next task...scoring issue. This seems to be the only issue left. The 50/3000 relay doesn't seem to pull in long enough to score 50 points on rollover switches and for drop targets...it will sometimes score 10 points and sometimes not score at all. The 3000 point switches work fine (kick outs).

The motor always turns. Just no points/not enough points. When I look at 10 point relay in head it barely pulls in when activating the 50 point switches.

I tried adjusting the 50/3000 point relay it went from no points...adjusted it...to locking on and not releasing...adjusted it...to scoring maybe 10 points then releasing.

Where do I start?

#97 5 years ago

Sorry was tired last night...haha. It is the C relay. 50/3000. Edited previous post.

#99 5 years ago

One clip on C coil? And other on motor 2B switch? Is that right?

#101 5 years ago

So I read those articles a few times. One clip to C coil on left side of the coil (looking at schematic the side opposite of mar-yellow wire) and other clip to side of 2B that is opposite yellow-green wire. Is that right? I am really not good at deciphering schematics.

Or does one clip stay on the red and white wire like the article states? Does that apply to my relay too?

#102 5 years ago

Reflowed solder on coil C. No change. Tightened switch stacks and now relay stays pulled in for motor rotation...BUT still no 50 points and now 3000 points won't score. There are only 4 switches on this relay...how hard can this be?!

#103 5 years ago

Which switch does what on this relay? Best way to adjust?

#104 5 years ago

Holy hell I got it! The switches on C needed adjusted. Wow there is like zero tolerance for gap errors on this thing. Working all the way! Thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way. Now on to painting!

#105 5 years ago

Ok. Sorry it appears I have another question...Haha. Played several games and never really looked at the rules before. It appears as though hitting the last of 10 drops on a single ball should award either extra ball or special depending on what is currently lit. My game doesn't appear to be doing either. Ideas?

Going to be looking at the drop target series switch in the middle of the drops and all the other drop switches tomorrow. Any other ideas are welcome.

#108 5 years ago

Targets score bonus and come back up. Just won't award extra ball or special.

#110 5 years ago

I will check it out tonight. Thanks guys!

#111 5 years ago

Man ... I am having a tough time with this one. I have looked at A, E, F, BX, 4E, 1C, drops series switch (it appears one side is for starting bonus countdown, I guess the other side tells machine to award extra ball or replay?). It was set to medium ( the replay award) conservative seems to alternate between extra ball and replay at the same rate as medium for some reason. It is currently at liberal. Under no circumstances has the award ever been awarded. I tried following wires on the schematics. I just can't really make sense of it. Can someone tell me what other relays, motor switches, stepper switches to check? If I leave in liberal mode?

#112 5 years ago

Just to be clear the award lights are lit and alternating correctly when playing. It is after all 10 targets are dropped that the actual extra ball and extra ball light and replay award are what I am not getting.

When I manually close the top of 2 switches on drop series switches the bonus countdown occurs. When I manually close the bottom switch nothing happens at all...I feel like it should?

You know I think the drops are supposed to be worth 500 points after knocking them all down the 1st time...That doesn't happen either...the 500 point light doesn't light up. I assume this is somehow related.

#114 5 years ago

I have it set to liberal. The lights for extra ball and special alternate correctly. 50/50.

Just not actually getting the reward once all 10 drops fall. Get drop target bonus...no extra ball or special. Also after hitting all drops and they reset...the points for drops stay at 50 instead of going to 500.

#116 5 years ago

G relay does not activate. So that is for 500 points per drop. Will check that out this evening. Thanks!

#117 5 years ago

Thanks Howard! Adjusting F relay fixed it! Game now plays fantastic! Chimes came in the mail today so sounds great too! New backglass should be here Tuesday then paint cabinet and new rubbers, clean, wax...

The one and only issue left...match numbers don't seem to be lighting. Now could be all those bulbs are out (not likely) or maybe a setting? Ideas?

#119 5 years ago

I would attach jumper during game over right?

#121 5 years ago

Got it! It was the back switch on XB relay not closing all the way. Thanks so much for all of your help Howard! You are a great asset to the pinball community!

I even figured out the points plugs in the head and matched the score card to award 3 free games based on what the score card states.

#122 5 years ago

Yeah so it appears I have yet another (albeit minor) issue...Where it shows 1 or 2 players on bottom right of glass...it seems to stay on 1 player until end of game (even a 2 player game) and then at game over seems to at least most of the time light 2 players...where should I be looking?

I am not even sure what the correct functions of the 1 or 2 players light is. Alternating or 1 player or 2 player lit depending on 1 or 2 player game?

I feel like someone at some point in the past just went in and started bending switches any which way just for spite!

#124 5 years ago

It was indeed the back switch on PB! Thank you! Unfortunately I have found another issue...never ending it would seem. The far right 3 drops only intermittently score bonus when ball drains. I spent probably 2 hours trying to adjust the switches (the ones in front of the drops that stay closed when target drops and lights 100. I could get them to work more often than not when playfield was lifted but as soon as I lowered the playfield they would not score the bonus the majority of the time. If I pushed hard the switch together with a wood rod while ball was draining I could get bonus to score on right 3 drops. Problem is if I adjusted them any closer (already way closer than the other drops) the switch would be closed when it should be open. I also just for fun widened the gap far apart like the other drops and no joy. I tried tightening the screws on the stacks the ones near the blades I could get to but not really the other screws away from the blades. I even tried making a sort of u shape for extra tension when closing...no improvement. Am I going about this the wrong way? Oh Hell I just thought of this...could it be a dirty bonus stepper?!

Grrrr...I bet it is the bonus stepper. I once replaced tons of what I thought were faulty light sockets and it was a dirty stepper!

#125 5 years ago

There is probably a rivet for each drop target right? Probably an intermittent connection due to dirt or misalignment? Am I on the right track here?

#127 5 years ago

I got the last 3 drops scoring bonus correctly! It was the runout switch for the bonus stepper (didn't even know there was one until I studied the schematics). It was gapped too wide and was opening before drops 8 to 10 could score bonus (they score last...right before runout switch opens). ENORMOUS thanks to Howard who took the time to teach me about reading schematics earlier today over the phone!!! He helped me narrow it down to the bonus stepper. You have seen me post this before but I think it is finally time to move on to painting, cleaning, waxing, rubbers (the "easy stuff"...lol). My new glass is coming tomorrow (redelivery as I was out of town the 1st time). Thanks again to everyone who has chimed in along the way. I hope this thread helps someone in the future.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crujones4life.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-jumping-jack?tu=crujones4life and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.