• Latest reply 1 year ago by davidr415
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dc circuit (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Fairly frequently the ball gets hung up rapidly bouncing from the pop bumper to either the nearby side or lower rubber. Rapidly back and forth like a machine gun. I have to tilt out of it to stop it. I’ve tried playfield angles from 3 1/2 to 6 1/2 deg and it still happens? New rubbers. Pop bumpers have been converted to DC operated solenoids.

#2 1 year ago

DC pops are more powerful. The regular AC pops can do that for a while, more so when the game is high tapped. I see similar behavior in our Williams Skylab, if you get the ball in the right spot. Those are DC coils as well. You could try larger rings to get less bounce, but that changes your chances of saving the ball from draining as well.

Just my two cents based on the behaviors I’ve seen on two games that I’ve rehabbed.

Good luck,
Dave

#3 1 year ago

Thanks for the idea. I may also try putting a pin ( finishing mail) just behind the rubber to limit the bounce and change the angle of reflection slightly. Any thoughts on this approach.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from davidr415:

Thanks for the idea. I may also try putting a pin ( finishing mail) just behind the rubber to limit the bounce and change the angle of reflection slightly. Any thoughts on this approach.

Nooooooooooooooooo!

#5 1 year ago

Mikala Better alternative?.

#6 1 year ago

I'm interested, too. My Williams Grand Prix machine guns between both pop bumpers and the game sides. After enough strong nudging it may stop, or at times I have to shut the game down.

#7 1 year ago

Seems to affect all manufacturers. It happens on my Williams Magic Town and Bally Flip Flop. Any game with a stretched ring near a pop bumper. There's just not enough distance between the two to get it to change direction. I haven't tried this but you might try a slightly over-sized ring, The softer rebound and increased travel of the ring might supply it with some extra variability. Might look a little odd, but worth a shot.

#8 1 year ago

I’m going to try the oversized ring on my Jumping Jack. I’ll let you know but it will be a couple of days due to thanksgiving traveling.

#9 1 year ago

I haven't tried oversized rubber rings yet, but I did reduce the problem by "de-tuning" the solenoid (at least that is what I think I did). i adjusted the the EOS switch where the leaves separate earlier in the stroke. So far it seems to be helping. Time will tell if it is completely solved. I have noted that the AC coils are still in the pin despite it being conveted to DC. I have some DC, higher resistance coils i can try as a last resort.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from davidr415:

I have noted that the AC coils are still in the pin despite it being conveted to DC. I have some DC, higher resistance coils i can try as a last resort.

Wouldn't it be easier to reduce the power by removing the rectifiers and converting back to AC?

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from edednedy:

Wouldn't it be easier to reduce the power by removing the rectifiers and converting back to AC?

Perhaps… I may come around to this solution eventually. The person that did the DC conversion used a single rectifier to drive all 4 flippers and the 2 pop bumpers. I’ll have to figure out the circuit now and as it used to be. I like the dc flippers and plan to leave them like that… so.. it may be a better solution to return to AC, but not necessarily easier ( for me).

#12 1 year ago

What edednedy said. I kept the A-4893 AC coils that are standard to Jumping Jack, took off 3 layers of wire off of each coil. The Pops have plenty of power (enough to sometimes reach the drop targets) and I’ve never had that happen for more than a few seconds through thousands of games played.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from davidr415:Perhaps… I may come around to this solution eventually. The person that did the DC conversion used a single rectifier to drive all 4 flippers and the 2 pop bumpers. I’ll have to figure out the circuit now and as it used to be. I like the dc flippers and plan to leave them like that… so.. it may be a better solution to return to AC, but not necessarily easier ( for me).

curious as to what DC voltage you are seeing on the flippers and pops?

I also at most see a couple seconds of pop to wall bouncing back and forth, but I am stock. Gameplay also changed a lot for the better when I lowered it down in slope. everyone seems to want to crank everything up to make it harder, but I'm still not down to the 3.5 degrees the manual says to put it at, probably 4.5-5. I might have to try the 3.5 (leg levelers all the way in) sometime, but may actually make it too easy to shoot back to the top holes.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

curious as to what DC voltage you are seeing on the flippers and pops?
I also at most see a couple seconds of pop to wall bouncing back and forth, but I am stock. Gameplay also changed a lot for the better when I lowered it down in slope. everyone seems to want to crank everything up to make it harder, but I'm still not down to the 3.5 degrees the manual says to put it at, probably 4.5-5. I might have to try the 3.5 (leg levelers all the way in) sometime, but may actually make it too easy to shoot back to the top holes.

30 v dc off of rectifier ( not high tapped). I’ve tried angles from 3.5 to current 6. I get the machine gunning at all angles. Steeper seems better.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from davidr415:

30 v dc off of rectifier ( not high tapped). I’ve tried angles from 3.5 to current 6. I get the machine gunning at all angles. Steeper seems better.

yeah, 30VDC is kinda high, when gottlieb went DC in system1 it was only 25VDC and they used coils with higher ohms as well. I think they did some later em's with DC flippers and maybe pops but don't know the specs on those.

I'd probably put it back to AC and high tap if you wanted a little boost.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

yeah, 30VDC is kinda high, when gottlieb went DC in system1 it was only 25VDC and they used coils with higher ohms as well. I think they did some later em's with DC flippers and maybe pops but don't know the specs on those.
I'd probably put it back to AC and high tap if you wanted a little boost.

I’d try that if I could figure out how. All the dc wiring was done in one color of wire and efficiently bundled so not obvious where wires go or come from. I’ll dig deeper!

#17 1 year ago

I'd love to see how its wired. I wanted to do the same thing to a few games using 1 rectifier. I have an EM Cleopatra with the DC pops and flippers and its a lot more reactive. For the flippers, they use A-17875 and the pops are A-1496. May try those coils?

Edit*** Not sure if they will fit, on the back of the manual it lists new items appearing in this game and has new coil mounting bracket and stops for the flipper and pop bumper coils. I think the coil stops are different for DC coils?

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from BubbaK:

I'd love to see how its wired. I wanted to do the same thing to a few games using 1 rectifier. I have an EM Cleopatra with the DC pops and flippers and its a lot more reactive. For the flippers, they use A-17875 and the pops are A-1496. May try those coils?
Edit*** Not sure if they will fit, on the back of the manual it lists new items appearing in this game and has new coil mounting bracket and stops for the flipper and pop bumper coils. I think the coil stops are different for DC coils?

When I get a few minutes, I'll map out the wiring and share it.
I have some Williams AE-23-800-03 which seem equivalent to the A-5194 (recommended for DC conversion according to one article I read) so I may stick one in just to see what happens.

#19 1 year ago

<

Quoted from BubbaK:

Here is the circuit that is used..

I tried several things... tried converting back to AC.. too slow. I didn't like the way it played. I tried de-tuning the pops by moving the EOS switch closer to the playfield, thus reducing the duration of the DC pulse to the pop solenoid. This helped reduce the strength of the pops, but I still got machinegunning occasionally. Ultimately, I installed slightly bigger rubbers adjacent to the pops and this seems to have done the trick.

I didn't have any higher resistance coils to try.. this may have worked.

dc circuit (resized).jpgdc circuit (resized).jpg
#20 1 year ago
Quoted from davidr415:

<

Here is the circuit that is used..
I tried several things... tried converting back to AC.. too slow. I didn't like the way it played. I tried de-tuning the pops by moving the EOS switch closer to the playfield, thus reducing the duration of the DC pulse to the pop solenoid. This helped reduce the strength of the pops, but I still got machinegunning occasionally. Ultimately, I installed slightly bigger rubbers adjacent to the pops and this seems to have done the trick.
I didn't have any higher resistance coils to try.. this may have worked.
[quoted image]

Thanks for doing that.. Its a pretty basic circuit. I'm going to give it a shot on something here when I get a chance..

#21 1 year ago

Just noticed this posting and read the responses. I was plagued with the same issue a few years ago with my son's Hollywood: ball machine-gunning between one pop bumper and its opposing rebound rubber. The solution for me was simple. I moved the top playfield post holding that rubber ring a fraction of an inch outward -- just enough to change its radial geometry and bounce dynamics. It worked. Of course I had to drill another post hole, but it's barely noticeable. Maybe it was just machine, but I thought I'd mention this.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from fixintoplay:

Just noticed this posting and read the responses. I was plagued with the same issue a few years ago with my son's Hollywood: ball machine-gunning between one pop bumper and its opposing rebound rubber. The solution for me was simple. I moved the top playfield post holding that rubber ring a fraction of an inch outward -- just enough to change its radial geometry and bounce dynamics. It worked. Of course I had to drill another post hole, but it's barely noticeable. Maybe it was just machine, but I thought I'd mention this.

Seems like a good way to go. How far did you move it? A fraction of an inch could mean many things

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from davidr415:

Seems like a good way to go. How far did you move it? A fraction of an inch could mean many things

I can't recall exactly, and I don't have access to the machine right now. Guessing 1/8" to try to keep the old and new holes covered beneath the post base. But before you drill a new hole, try these tricks first (I didn't think of them at the time):

a. experiment with the ring tension by using a larger diameter ring;

a. remove one fat plastic post and just use the thin metal post as a test. It will change the angle of the ring which should be enough to make a difference. If it works, cut/modify the plastic post into 2 pieces to keep the ring from moving up/down.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from fixintoplay:

I can't recall exactly, and I don't have access to the machine right now. Guessing 1/8" to try to keep the old and new holes covered beneath the post base. But before you drill a new hole, try these tricks first (I didn't think of them at the time):
a. experiment with the ring tension by using a larger diameter ring;
a. remove one fat plastic post and just use the thin metal post as a test. It will change the angle of the ring which should be enough to make a difference. If it works, cut/modify the plastic post into 2 pieces to keep the ring from moving up/down.

Larger rings is what fixed the problem for me. I like trying a metal post in place of one plastic pillar… lessons tension and changes angle. Great ideas!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-jumping-jack-pop-bumpers-machine-gunning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.