Topic Stats

• 127 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 73 days ago by crujones4life
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 42 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
0Jumping-Jack-Work-07 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Screenshot_20180330-012001 (resized).png
Screenshot_20180330-010831 (resized).png

There are 127 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 months ago

Hi. Have a Jumping Jack that won't start. Every once in a great while pressing start will cause motor to turn and stop but reset process never occurs. Score reels do not move or even attempt to move. (They will move once playing a ball) At power on game shows game over and tilt. If I press start relay I get same thing as when start button actually registers. I can manually move the long bar that controls reset relay bank and get game to play (after manually pushing tilt hold relay). It goes to a 2 player game automatically. Also game stays at player 1 ball 1 infinitely. I can manually press stepper in head to get game to progress. Another thing I noticed is some 10 point switches will only score when lit for 50 points. (Maybe a setting? Those points setting plugs never make any sense to me). Nothing happens on its own essentially. I will say this game is pretty damn clean inside. Steppers move nice and smooth. The only other stepper is the bonus stepper under the playfield that I could find anyway. Both are continuous steppers. Oh there is the credit wheel too which seems to function correctly. Ideas? Also...does this game have a switch stack chart (NO,NC,etc)? Can anyone send me pics if they have access to it? Thanks guys!

#2 6 months ago

20180209_162559 (resized).jpg

20180209_162606 (resized).jpg

20180209_162610 (resized).jpg

20180209_162619 (resized).jpg

20180209_162623 (resized).jpg

20180209_162631 (resized).jpg

20180209_162642 (resized).jpg

20180209_162703 (resized).jpg

#3 6 months ago

After looking at my pics the top switch on the right side of the motor looks off doesn't it? I will look at that tomorrow.

#4 6 months ago

For starters, I wouldn't begin by messing around with the motor switches unless there is one that is obviously wrong. Instead, I suggest that you read and go through this sequence and compare to what is going on with your machine:

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#start The Gottlieb section is about the 3rd paragraph down.

I hope that helps you and good luck in sorting your machine out.

#5 6 months ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Every once in a great while pressing start will cause motor to turn and stop but reset process never occurs. Score reels do not move or even attempt to move.

If the Replay Button (V) relay doesn't activate when you press the Replay button, diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Pinball (resized).png

#6 6 months ago

If anyone has a switch stack chart could you email me a copy? Gonna dig back in next warm day we have...want all the info I can gather. Thanks!

#7 6 months ago

If anyone has a switch stack chart could you email me a copy? Gonna dig back in next warm day we have...want all the info I can gather. Thanks!

Pinball (resized).png

#8 6 months ago

After looking at my pics the top switch on the right side of the motor looks off doesn't it? I will look at that tomorrow.

Agree that blade looks a little twisted. Will PM you the start up sequence from the operation instructions.

#9 6 months ago

Thanks for all the info so far guys! I will report back.

#10 6 months ago

It looks like your game is missing the chime unit. If you did not remove it, you should get a replacement. They sometimes come up on eBay, or you can buy one of these reproduction units: https://www.chimeunit.com/

#11 6 months ago

There are a few Gottlieb chime units on ebay right now for around $20

#12 6 months ago

Yeah the chimes are missing. Will definitely replace them if I can get running. After messing around with it today the HOLD relay no longer gets pulled in. Can no longer manually start a game by manually pressing reset bar. Ideas on this?

Before this happened.
Pressing start almost always did nothing. If it did anything the motor would move to next spot and stop and credit would come off the wheel (game would stay in tilt until I manually released tilt hold relay). Same thing when I press start relay...motor moves to next position and stops. Score reels will not reset no matter what I try. They will score though. The only way I could get playfield to come to life so I could play was manually pressing in reset bar. Once I could play it would not advance player or balls. Bonus stepper and drops and pops and flippers and outhole and kick out holes all seemed to work fine at this point. If I manually actuated the player stepper it would change players and balls. Game would never end though. The game just won't do anything on its own. Most things seemed to work once manually activated. The game will never come out of tilt unless I manually press tilt hold relay.

Like I said earlier now hold relay is not activating and I can no longer start a game even manually...

#13 6 months ago

So I just read that the tilt switches can cause hold relay to not work. I was messing with tilt switches when this happened. Have to look at them again. I have read start up sequence many many times. The start button doesn't do anything most of the time and start relay doesn't either...So I guess the problem is there or at least starts there? Or is the game not coming out of tilt on its own the issue?

#14 6 months ago

My 72 wild life is doing most of the same thing yours is doin. Schematics ordered from PBR

#15 6 months ago

I was able to use a jumper to get the credit button and coin switch to work

e2997d5ac28da86b216116f599f0faf09c944e3b - Copy (resized).jpg

#16 6 months ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If the Replay Button (V) relay doesn't activate when you press the Replay button, diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Does anyone have time to walk me through how to do this?

#17 6 months ago

So I just read that the tilt switches can cause hold relay to not work. I was messing with tilt switches when this happened. Have to look at them again. I have read start up sequence many many times. The start button doesn't do anything most of the time and start relay doesn't either...So I guess the problem is there or at least starts there? Or is the game not coming out of tilt on its own the issue?

All of the NC bounce switches (anti-cheat) must have good continuity for the hold relay to function. Check them all for proper adjustment.

#18 6 months ago

Does anyone have time to walk me through how to do this?

It sounds like there are several issues to sort out but to keep things simple, focusing on getting the start button to work is a good place to start since it doesn't depend on the state of the game and is easy to reproduce. HowardR posted the relevant part of the schematic in reply #5.

You'll need either a test lead or two with alligator clips on the ends, or a light bulb tester (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pinball-circuits-basics-to-not-so-basic/page/2#post-3184715) or a multimeter to help identify which switches aren't working. Just visually checking that switches open and close isn't reliable.

In reply #15 mrbanjo shows in red where you could clip a test lead to help debug a replay button problem. If you clip in as shown there and the replay button starts working that tells you that one of the switches that you've bypassed (conveniently circled in blue) is open when it shouldn't be. The test lead effectively eliminates suspected switches from the circuit since whether they're open or closed no longer matters with the test lead bypassing around them.

If you bypass a switch or group of switches and things start working, the problem is likely in one of the bypassed switches. Systematically eliminating switches from the circuit with a test lead to see which combinations work or don't work should reveal which switch has a problem.

/Mark

#20 6 months ago

Alright I will try the alligator clip method. Will this work through the insulation of the wire? Dumb question? Lol...

#21 6 months ago

Alright I will try the alligator clip method. Will this work through the insulation of the wire? Dumb question? Lol...

Metal must touch to have an electrical connection, so no, it won't work through the insulation. It would be extremely unusual to need that, but in the unlikely event you did, you could push a pin all the way through the insulation and the wire, and clip the alligator to that.

#22 5 months ago

Attached jumper wire from orange wires on start switch to red and black wire on fuse near bounce switch. Turn game on and no change. Stays in tilt, game over. Manually push in tilt hold relay, lights on playfield come on start switch still does nothing. Manually push in hold relay (which then stays locked on) and start switch still does nothing.

What should I try next? I wish I could get the startup sequence going. Can't do anything else until it starts! Is it a given that my problem lies under the playfield and not on the playfield or in the head? Please any ideas you have no matter how unlikely I am willing to try. Thanks!

15191893965241166193098 (resized).jpg

15191894406181526104914 (resized).jpg

#23 5 months ago

I will also mention for whatever it's worth that if I manually push in the reset relay bar I can press the start button and the motor will turn one rotation.

Also some 10 point switches won't score correctly. Could one of these be my issue? The same 10 point switches that score when lit for 500 will not score for 50 when unlit.

#25 5 months ago

Could relay C be causing the scoring and startup issue?

15191903990171847668566 (resized).jpg

#26 5 months ago

Hi. Sorry wasn't ignoring your advice. I have read through it many times. I am not very good at reading schematics so I am having trouble knowing exactly what to do with that info.

#27 5 months ago

Hi. Sorry wasn't ignoring your advice. I have read through it many times. I am not very good at reading schematics so I am having trouble knowing exactly what to do with that info.

We're glad to help with reading schematics. Does my post #5 help?

#28 5 months ago
Quoted from HowardR:

We're glad to help with reading schematics. Does my post #5 help?

I thought that's what I was doing in post 22...did I not do it correctly? Lol.

#29 5 months ago

That's the wrong fuse I believe

#30 5 months ago

25V 10 amp on the board next to the coin door jones plug

#31 5 months ago
Quoted from mrbanjo:

That's the wrong fuse I believe

Haha...figures...this one then?

1519192578021609302270 (resized).jpg

Oops. Just saw your post...I will try that one.

#32 5 months ago

NO............that's 110V
Is there one by the coin door?

#33 5 months ago

On the left?

1519193359037419099266 (resized).jpg

#34 5 months ago

yep...............one wire from coin door credit button (orange) to one side of that fuse see if credit button works

#35 5 months ago

Still a no go. Tested with my meter and have continuity between that fuse and the orange wire on start button.

#36 5 months ago

This may or may not mean anything but I have continuity from start switch to several relays too. Outhole, start, tilt hold, hold, several reset bar relays, NOT game over or 2nd player relay.

#37 5 months ago

Found a broken wire on left hole relay. What's weird is that the kick out hole still worked... I will solder this back tomorrow. Any chance this fixes my issue?

#38 5 months ago

Looks to be a white with purple wire.

1519195354581548906637 (resized).jpg

#39 5 months ago

I thought that's what I was doing in post 22...did I not do it correctly? Lol.

Still a no go. Tested with my meter and have continuity between that fuse and the orange wire on start button.

If no luck jumpering from 1 to 2, try from 3 to 4. Alligator clip jumper wires are better for this kind of work than a meter.

I'm helping this guy by phone. If you haven't fixed it when I'm done with that I can do the same for you
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-ben-em-reset-troubleshoot-3

Pinball (resized).png

#40 5 months ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If no luck jumpering from 1 to 2, try from 3 to 4. Alligator clip jumper wires are better for this kind of work than a meter.
I'm helping this guy by phone. If you haven't fixed it when I'm done with that I can do the same for you
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-ben-em-reset-troubleshoot-3

Thanks! I will report back.

#41 5 months ago

Where is the v coil?

#42 5 months ago

Press start relay and hold relay pulls. Stays in tilt. Press tilt hold relay and comes out of tilt. Press control bank relay and reset bar coil fires and starts a game. Score reels do not attempt to reset but drops reset and playfield comes alive. Then when I press start it actually works and subtracts a credit off the wheel.

A lot of repetition in my posts I know just want to share what I am seeing.

#43 5 months ago

Just noticed activating the coin drop switches activates start relay and motor and hold relay and credit wheel but nothing else happens.

#44 5 months ago

Pics of my reset bank.

20180223_183710 (resized).jpg

20180223_183704 (resized).jpg

20180223_183700 (resized).jpg

#45 5 months ago

See the far right relay? The left switch is closed on both sides and looks like only one side would open (front side) when activated. Should the back side be open when front is closed? It shouldn't always be closed or why would there be a switch right?

#46 5 months ago

If I reset relay bank bar by hand then turn on...
1. The game over relay QB energizes.
2. The start button will work and when pressed one time the 2nd player relay PB energizes.
That's it. Nothing else happens.
Stays in game over and tilt. No reset process occurs or even tries to.

#47 5 months ago

Just noticed that the game over relay is constantly energized. From the moment I turn it on. If I reset when off it energizes when powered on. If I try to reset when powered on it just stays energized and buzzes at me angrily...

#48 5 months ago

Alright so measured resistance across all the coils in the reset bank relay and all are 3.5 to 4 ohms...EXCEPT QB and ZB at 0.5 ohms...those 2 coils are shorted right? Please tell me this could be my issue?

#49 5 months ago

Hi crujones4life
when we toggle-on a Gottlieb pin having the Control-Bank: The QB-Game-Over-Relay "plunges" - also the ZB-First-Ball-Relay. Then (please do / try): We can press the armature on R-Hold-Relay and the relay stays actuated. The same on H-Tilt-Hold-Relay --- questions: What happens in Ypour pin when You do manually "actuate these two relays" ? After the "actuate these two relays" You then manually reset the Control-Bank - what is the QB-Relay doing ? Greetings Rolf

#50 5 months ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi crujones4life
when we toggle-on a Gottlieb pin having the Control-Bank: The QB-Game-Over-Relay "plunges" - also the ZB-First-Ball-Relay. Then (please do / try): We can press the armature on R-Hold-Relay and the relay stays actuated. The same on H-Tilt-Hold-Relay --- questions: What happens in Ypour pin when You do manually "actuate these two relays" ? After the "actuate these two relays" You then manually reset the Control-Bank - what is the QB-Relay doing ? Greetings Rolf

I don't think ZB has ever actuated. I will check on this and see what QB does when I do these things. I will report back tomorrow. Thanks for your time!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 217.00
$ 235.00
Boards
RS Technologies
$ 100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
€ 18.95
$ 6.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
$ 12.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 7.00
Electronics
APB Enterprises
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
$ 34.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 128.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
There are 127 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside